1. i love the mystical approach to miracle drug live and album version. i just happened to hear part of it when cleaning out my computer tonite and totally remember 10+ years ago getting that album.
  2. Very good album, gets a bad rap by a lot of diehards.
  3. Yes it's underrated
  4. Is 'Man and a Woman' on this album? If so I really love this song and Crumbs from your Table.....love Edge's guitar riffs on that one...............
  5. Originally posted by peatiedog:Is 'Man and a Woman' on this album? If so I really love this song and Crumbs from your Table.....love Edge's guitar riffs on that one...............
    Yes, it is
  6. 50 50 album for me, hate man & woman sorry

PK
  7. This album's confusing for me because it has some of what I consider their best work and some of their worst. City of Blinding Lights is the closest we've come to 80s U2 in a long time, in my opinion. I also love SYCMIOYO, Miracle Drug, and One Step Closer. At the same time, I think Man and a Woman and All Because of You are some of their very worst songs. The rest fall on a spectrum in the middle.
  8. what about CRUMBS!!!!! Some very cool noise on that one!
  9. Originally posted by Faceman2000:This album's confusing for me because it has some of what I consider their best work and some of their worst. City of Blinding Lights is the closest we've come to 80s U2 in a long time, in my opinion. I also love SYCMIOYO, Miracle Drug, and One Step Closer. At the same time, I think Man and a Woman and All Because of You are some of their very worst songs. The rest fall on a spectrum in the middle.
    This is basically my opinion of Pop. True gems nestled right alongside deplorable garbage.
  10. Well my Unforgettable Fire review I put up yesterday definitely got the thread going and a couple of people were curious to read some of my other reviews as I’ve gone from a fan to a fanatic in the past month and am hearing some of the deeper cuts for the very first time...

Vertigo - Very good opener, traditional U2 rocker. ****

Miracle Drug - Slowing it down, but gets a little faster in the second verse. Second Verse provides the great payoff. *****

Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own - An ode to Bono’s Dad, and an amazing ode it is...a near perfect ballad. The bridge of the song might be the strongest lyrics I have ever heard. ****

Love and Peace or Else - Filler that causes side one to come crashing to a halt, unfortunately. Nicer bass groove, but falls short of saving the song. **

City of Blinding Lights - A perfect U2 rocker, perfect guitar, perfect bass line, should have opened the album, switching places with Vertigo. In my top three U2 songs of all time, with One and With or Without You. *****

All Because of You - One of the heavier guitar riffs, mixed with a catchy party chorus equals win all over. ****

Man and a Woman - A little acoustical number, and not something I need to hear again anytime soon, although that being said, the lead up to the chorus at least gets it two stars. **

Crumbs From Your Table - A very Achtung Baby/Joshua Tree feel to this song. Much better than it’s predecessor but not approaching four star status...yet. ***

One Step Closer - A song I’ve never really paid attention to until this critical listening. Slower song, but with potential. The chorus is pretty powerful, with a nice buildup. ***

Original of the Species - A beautiful opening, slower song with a traditional U2 guitar riff throughout the chorus. ****

Yahweh - A lost gem on a great album. Leaves you wanting more as the last song of the album. Four stars but oh so close to being a five star. ****

Side One starts off with a bang, with a bunch of four star songs, and even two, five star songs. Putting it on pace with the likes of Achtung Baby, but drops off quickly on side two. That being said, the album finishes with two very underrated songs to make side two end on a high. 3.64 song average would make it the second highest rated album behind Achtung Baby.
  11. Keep in mind my 2nd highest rating, is not a complete scope as I’ve only done five albums for myself so far. AB, Bomb, War, UF and SOE.
  12. I think the entire tour was underated