1. Originally posted by Bloodraven:I don't know... I have a feeling that if they had switched places between North Star (appearing in SOI) and Song For Someone (snippet in 360, small appearance in Transformers, ignored after that), people would be salivating over Song for Someone and complaining that North Star is cheesy and bland.
    Noooo.
    Just like CMIPalaeo fantasizes with dinosaurs in SOE, I loved North Star because Bono was looking for "logic in the universe". Astronomy, Physics and Math! Then they took it away from me, it's not fair!
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Noooo.
    Just like CMIPalaeo fantasizes with dinosaurs in SOE, I loved North Star because Bono was looking for "logic in the universe". Astronomy, Physics and Math! Then they took it away from me, it's not fair!
    Well, that's a very specific case, and I have no arguments against that.
    We have the seven billion stars in your eyes line, though, but that's the most we can get to you

I'm talking about the "if U2 had released this one it would've been huuuge", "such a lovely amazing song", etcetera.
  3. Eh, I can see it both ways. But I think that North Star is just a better, more interesting song than SFS, and I don't find SFS bland at all. That said, I don't know that North Star would have fit on SOI... But it would've on SOE.

But yeah, there's always that sort of myth that gets built up for the unreleased songs...
  4. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I hated the Tranformers arrangement but I am a fanboy of the 360 versions. You know those people that say All My Life is the best thing since the invention of vaccines? I'm like that but with North Star.

They could have actually released something pretty great, and in my opinion a lot better than SOI if they'd dropped that idea, and taken a few of its best tracks and combined them with the unreleased stuff from 360

Invisible
    Lucifers Hands
    California
    Mercy
    Every Breaking Wave
    North Star
    Crystal Ballroom
    Sleep Like a Baby
    This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
    The Troubles
  5. what is the best version of North Star available? can someone point me out a youtube link or a bootleg?
  6. The 360 show at Cape Town was a webcast so that should be pretty good sound quality not listened to the song in a while though so performance wise I’m not sure the best.
  7. I've listened to them all. I downloaded bootlegs only for that song. I can tell you that without a doubt the best version is 2010-10-02 Coimbra. Get the 5 star Drew's IEM-Audience matrix. Not only it's the best sound, it's the best performance, the crowd sings it like they know it forever and Bono still sings the little coda that not always appears.
    While you're there, listen to the whole show, it's freaking fantastic.
  8. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I've listened to them all. I downloaded bootlegs only for that song. I can tell you that without a doubt the best version is 2010-10-02 Coimbra. Get the 5 star Drew's IEM-Audience matrix. Not only it's the best sound, it's the best performance, the crowd sings it like they know it forever and Bono still sings the little coda that not always appears.
    While you're there, listen to the whole show, it's freaking fantastic.
    Downloading right now.... I have the second night in Coimbra here (Boy Falls From The Sky )
  9. Yeah, we used to have a not-so-good audience recording but a few years ago I put Drew's matrix and it became my favorite bootleg of the 3rd leg and, boy, if there is some tough competition there.
  10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Yeah, we used to have a not-so-good audience recording but a few years ago I put Drew's matrix and it became my favorite bootleg of the 3rd leg and, boy, if there is some tough competition there.
    I love the setlists of the 360... I know it became a greatest hits tour after a while but come on, we got some killer tunes on that tour