1. Hate to rain down on your parade (you'll see the pun in that in a second) but much will depend on the weather. And yes, you're just as likely to get it in summer as you are in winter.

Possible things to do by day:
    - Kilmainham Gaol has been said. Guinness storehouse, Trinity college, Newgrange, all on the east coast. Temple Bar is a shocking rip-off but if you want an atmospheric place to drink and do drugs then... . Jameson Factory is not too far away from the Guinness storehouse if you're interested in whiskey. Wouldn't particularly recommend either of Dublin Castle or Dublinia but they're options.

- Phoenix Park; you can rent out a bike for the day for around €7 and cycle Europe's largest inner-city park. Good place for a picnic. Wildlife, the President's house and the zoo all together.

- Croke Park; not just a venue for U2 (or Westlife...) concerts. The GAA is in full swing around that time of year so recommend going for a match if you can. Tickets are pretty cheap too. Bring nose plugs because its well known that people from the Irish countryside smell.

- Best chance of seeing a U2 band member may well be Bono who lives in Killiney. Goes to Finnegans pub down in Dalkey Village a fair bit. Seen his daughter Eve in the other pub (Queens) a couple of times. Nice area, probably worth a visit even if you don't get to see them.

Have heard that Bono & Edge usually go for dinner in the main village once a week, sometimes with someone like Neil Jordan, though have never seen them on my nights out. Larry lives up in the other end of the city (Howth) as far away from Bono as you can get and haven't a clue about Adam.

Pretty sure you can leave a sign on Bono's front gate.

Dunno, anyway you looking forward to it?
  2. Agree with everything there, Dublinia and the Castle are shite to be honest. If Dublin are playing in the days that you're around I'd recommend going to match, great atmosphere and great sport. I'll let you know if there's anything going on if you want, I'll be going to it anyway
  3. By Dublin playing, I mean playing in Croke Park in the GAA championship

4. Entirely understandable, I'm sure...
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:I'd like to have as many as suggestions from you people as I can.

General questions

-What should I visit and what not?
    -Where should I have lunch and dinner?
    -Is there any plausible way to do a day-trip to Cork / Galway?

U2 questions

-What should I visit and what not?
    -Where do I have more chances of meeting the band and/or relatives to the band (McGuiness & the like)?

I'm soooooo incredibly excited, enthusiastic and moved

Dublin is fantastic. I love it. Definitely visit Kilmainham Jail, Dublin Castle,

have a drink at the Octagon Bar at The Clarence, walk along the Liffey.

The museums and art galleries are wonderful. I went to the Guinness Storehouse but really, paying 20 euro to walk through there is a rip-off, but the view from the bar at the top is pretty special. And you get a free pint.

If you get a craving for Chinese food, AVOID the restaurant in Temple Bar just behind the Clarence. Worst. Food. Ever.

There are lots of wonderful pubs, and I wish I could remember the name of the place we went to one night that was having a traditional music night. It was very un-touristy and great.
  6. Great to see the way people help eachother here

And once again, with or without U2, have a great time Sergio! You deserve it!

7. Originally posted by KaiserJose:- Best chance of seeing a U2 band member may well be Bono who lives in Killiney. Goes to Finnegans pub down in Dalkey Village a fair bit. Seen his daughter Eve in the other pub (Queens) a couple of times. Nice area, probably worth a visit even if you don't get to see them.

Have heard that Bono & Edge usually go for dinner in the main village once a week, sometimes with someone like Neil Jordan, though have never seen them on my nights out. Larry lives up in the other end of the city (Howth) as far away from Bono as you can get and haven't a clue about Adam.

Pretty sure you can leave a sign on Bono's front gate.

Dunno, anyway you looking forward to it?

THAT was what I was looking for!!! Thanks a lot for your advices, Jose, really appreciated By the way, this made me laugh out loud: Bring nose plugs because its well known that people from the Irish countryside smell.... hahahaha

Thank you all (linzer, Joe, Sonia, etc) again, I'm so looking forward for this trip........and it's still 3 months away!!!

8. But only during the day, it's not one of the best parts of the city, preferably in a taxi.
    Trips to Ring of Kerry or Giants Causeway are too far for a one day trip, even by car.
    What you can do is take the train to Belfast, it's just 2 hours by train and a nice city to stroll in, besides all the history. Also the Wicklow Mountains are nice, Powerscourt Gardens.

My tips in Dublin, besides previous things mentioned, was a while ago when I lived there, but most places are still there so..
    Food:
    Best Italian - Pasta Fresca in Chatham Lane
    Best noodles - Yamamori in a side street of Dame Street
    Eddies rockets, a diner in America 50's style, spread all over the city
    Expensive dinner - Tea Room in The Clarence, its good though

Places to go, besides my nickname off course (Malahide is a nice seaside town, Adam lived there) by Dart. Take the Dart train to Killiney and walk down the road to Dalky besides the sea, it's great. You can also take the whole trip by Dart, from Howth to Bray, both towns with U2 links. The Georgian houses of Merrion Square.

Which hotel are you staying in?
  9. Thank you too, Peter.

Sadly, we're students and don't have the budget to afford any luxury hotel... We're staying at the Avalon hostal: http://avalon-house.ie/ ... Less than 5 minutes away of Temple Bar, Trinity College, etc. A friend of mine has been there three times already and says it's twice worth the price
  10. Nice spot Sergio, near a good guitar shop too Wicklow Street off Georges Street has a good few music stores although you won't have much time for that. The Ricky in one of the windows might catch your eye though if it's still there
  11. Hi everyone again

It's just 2 days until I'm sat on a MAD>DUB plane, and I can't help bumping my own topic just for the sake of it... I'm so excited

Does somebody know if there's direct buses (touristic or not) to the Slane and Moydrum castles? I know they're both 40~50 kms away from Dublin but we might dedicate an evening for visiting them - but only if there's direct train or bus connection.
  12. 2 days?!? lol over-excitement, anyone? (totally understandable though)

right on O'Connell Street, Sergio, there is the Tourist Information Office -- walk in there, they give you ALL the info you can possible get for ANY trip inside and outside Dublin. Really. You get all questions asked, get free maps of the city and surroundings, and you can book all trips right there. Very friendly folks there.