1. There is a new You Too, you can vote for this new poll on the frontpage and discuss it in this thread.

The last You Too:
    U2's past two tours have featured encores that mirrored an element of the ZooTV tour. Which of these tour-homages would you like to see in a U2 encore? (started 6 days ago)

Please > Streets (PopMart) - 30.6%
    Bad > October > New Year's Day (UF tour) - 27.8%
    Even Better > Gone > Until (PopMart) - 17.4%
    Other / none of these - 9.1%
    Elevation > Beautiful Day > Until (Elevation) - 7.8%
    Love And Peace > Sunday > Bullet (Vertigo) - 7.2%

Votes: 951

The question of this new You Too is:

If U2's next tour is very stripped back/mostly acoustic, should "Where the Streets Have No Name" still be played?

- Yes, I think it should be played at every show regardless
    - Yes, I think it would sound very fresh stripped down
    - No, it's finally time for Streets to be dropped if U2 are playing a more bare-bones show
    - No, I'm tired of Streets, it's a good time for it to drop

Please vote on the frontpage of the website, in this thread you can tell us why you voted for your answer.
    Your vote is valued! Thank you!
  2. Streets should always be played. I'd hate to go to a show and not hear it.

I'm all for new songs and hearing new things that a band has never done before or is just introducing, but they could drop every single other 'tour faithful' (Bad, With Or Without You, Still Haven't Found, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, One etc). But if they dropped Streets, I'd be upset.

From that, a new style of playing it I'd be excited to hear. Not just the design of backdrops and things, but the whole song totally revitalised - unless it ends up like the remix of Magnificent.
  3. If it was to be played like this

simply awesome, would love to here the whole song like this, just add vocals and nothing else would blow my mind.
  4. I think it would sound very fresh stripped down
  5. See, to me, that's not stripped down. (IRT the video above)

But U2 will never play a true stripped down acoustic only show. I just don't think it would happen. The synths etc would still be there. I voted "No, it should stay out for an acoustic show"

Plug nothing in, no full drum kit, no electric bass, etc...and Streets does not work. Edge wouldn't be able to use a delay pedal if the only thing he plugged in was his acoustic guitar, which is ideal of an acoustic show.

I did love the way 30 Seconds to Mars covered the track acoustic, though.
  6. When I thought of "stripped back" I was thinking back to the Elevation Tour. Compared to the massive stages and lighting effects of ZooTV and Popmart, Elevation was definitely a return to basics. In a setting like that, of course the band should play Streets.

But when you mention a fully acoustic set, I think more about the Clinton concert. In that setting, Streets wouldn't work. But then again I don't see U2 ever touring in that fashion. Adding more purely acoustic songs to the set does leave Larry and Adam out of the picture, unless they decide to play songs like Acoustic No Line On The Horizon (freaking awesome, by the way).
  7. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:See, to me, that's not stripped down. (IRT the video above)

But U2 will never play a true stripped down acoustic only show. I just don't think it would happen. The synths etc would still be there. I voted "No, it should stay out for an acoustic show"

Plug nothing in, no full drum kit, no electric bass, etc...and Streets does not work. Edge wouldn't be able to use a delay pedal if the only thing he plugged in was his acoustic guitar, which is ideal of an acoustic show.

I did love the way 30 Seconds to Mars covered the track acoustic, though.

30 Seconds To Mars versions were far too slow to do the song any justice:

Pedals are allowed on acoustic shows, man No one's talking about busking in the street; we talk about instruments with effects and amplification I really do think that Streets would work in this kind of fashion:
    (of course, try to imagine some Adam bass, faint Larry drums/tambourine and Bono vocals!).
  8. Whilst I highly doubt U2 would take a fully stripped back tour, I imagined it for the purpose of the question. Therefore, I voted for the option of dropping it.
  9. 30STM's version definitely picks up in the middle...starts out slow, but it is my absolute favorite cover of that song.
  10. I voted for it to be played regardless. There are only three "mainstream" songs I want played next tour.
    1) Streets, at every show, because it's Streets.
    2) One, at every show, so they can say that there was one song they played at every concert since its live debut.
    3) I Will Follow, even if it's only once next tour, because that song has been played on every tour since Boy, and that shouldn't stop now.
    I highly doubt U2 will ever do completely acoustic.
  11. Originally posted by ASortOfDesire:I voted for it to be played regardless. There are only three "mainstream" songs I want played next tour.
    1) Streets, at every show, because it's Streets.
    2) One, at every show, so they can say that there was one song they played at every concert since its live debut.
    3) I Will Follow, even if it's only once next tour, because that song has been played on every tour since Boy, and that shouldn't stop now.
    I highly doubt U2 will ever do completely acoustic.

Beautiful Day and Vertigo have both been played at every show since their debuts, though that's slightly less impressive.