1. Originally posted by u2_michaelc:[..]
    yeah i always felt that MOS was way out of place, every time i listen to the album i wish it was the last song. weird how breath used to open the show than MOS became the closer.
    It was way too soon I agree. I think if you took the time you could really rework that tracking to make it flow better, which I might do after my exam today
  2. I actually love the running order on Linear, with Unknown Caller being the opener followed by Breathe.
  3. Originally posted by guykirk9:[..]
    It was way too soon I agree. I think if you took the time you could really rework that tracking to make it flow better, which I might do after my exam today
    if you do it, let us know which order you come up with

best of luck with the exam
  4. Absolutely give me a few hours!

And thank you mate
  5. Well in the first 6 months or so following NLOTH release I probably watched Linear more than listened to the album I loved it that much, both the running order and the feel of the film. I watched Linear not so long ago and could still appreciate it even though my appreciation for NLOTH in general lowered significantly. Having said that I think I come across quite negative on the album when in reality there's only a couple of songs on it I dislike. That's the standard of u2 albums for me though 2 poor songs and your near the bottom of the pile.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Well in the first 6 months or so following NLOTH release I probably watched Linear more than listened to the album I loved it that much, both the running order and the feel of the film. I watched Linear not so long ago and could still appreciate it even though my appreciation for NLOTH in general lowered significantly. Having said that I think I come across quite negative on the album when in reality there's only a couple of songs on it I dislike. That's the standard of u2 albums for me though 2 poor songs and your near the bottom of the pile.
    Is your bar really "2 poor songs"? All albums except maybe AB and TJT (and TJT I wouldn't be so sure) have at least 2 poor songs if you ask me
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Is your bar really "2 poor songs"? All albums except maybe AB and TJT (and TJT I wouldn't be so sure) have at least 2 poor songs if you ask me
    Really? All U2 albums have at least two poor songs? On albums like HTDAAB and October I could easily rate two songs 'poor' but for the rest of the albums...lesser songs yes, but 'poor'? I don't think U2 has released that much crap, and that is also one of the reasons they're my favourite band: a high quality ratio. Yes, they have changed styles and they have made some bad decisions, but overall, I don't think they ever made a lot of poor songs, and certainly not a poor album in general.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I think I rated 13 songs over 13 albums as 4/10 or worse (5 is average I'd say whereas 4 is definitely poor). Between my top 4 albums I think I only rate one song worse than a 5, the Wanderer, and I actually like the live version of that just not keen on johnny cash vocals. One poor song you can get away with but 2 poor songs particularly when 1 is very poor and your most likely in the bottom 3.
  9. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:The more I think about it, the harder it is to rank. Every album has such great qualities. For much of my time as a U2 fan, Rattle and Hum was dead last among the albums but when I think about the nine studio tracks on it, they're ALL great (except Angel of Harlem, for me) and a couple (Hawkmoon, Heartland) are easily among the strongest U2 songs. Then, it comes to emotional attachment too... Atomic Bomb isn't objectively better than The Joshua Tree but I have a stronger connection to it, much as I love TJT, especially after experiencing it live. That's why Achtung Baby is fallen from #1 for me, replaced by SOI. AB is U2's 'perfect album' no doubt. I'd say it's probably the best record ever made. But... I have a stronger emotional connection to SOI. And as it turns out, I realise I listen to Pop quite a bit more than AB. It's probably tied for second now.

There's just so many different aspects to each record, it makes me feel unfair ranking them, especially when ATYCLB and October end up as the bottom two. Those are both brilliant records! They don't deserve last plae.. Argh!

That's why I went with a double list, a cold more objective "brain" list, and a more how much I enjoy it "heart" list.
    I don't enjoy AB or TJT as much as I think they should "deserve".
  10. Originally posted by guykirk9:[..]
    To this day I will not understand why the album opener wasn't Breathe for NLOTH. I think it would be such a strong open to an album.
    I disagree, I love Breathe being just before the end. I think Fez should've opened the album. (Breathe was a perfect concert opener, though!)
  11. The natural opener of NLOTH is... Soon, followed by UC.
  12. Originally posted by dieder:[..]
    Really? All U2 albums have at least two poor songs? On albums like HTDAAB and October I could easily rate two songs 'poor' but for the rest of the albums...lesser songs yes, but 'poor'? I don't think U2 has released that much crap, and that is also one of the reasons they're my favourite band: a high quality ratio. Yes, they have changed styles and they have made some bad decisions, but overall, I don't think they ever made a lot of poor songs, and certainly not a poor album in general.
    crap ≠ poor