1. It depends if you're making a rank based on "today" or in "historically".
    Maybe today (or this week) I'm more in the mood to listen to October than to listen Achtung Baby, so I could rank October on top, or at least higher than I'd usually do.

The other thing, is how much an album resonated with you because of your personal situation... and SOE has a few songs that has the potential to touch you in a very special way if you're currently going through certain difficult situations. All We Have Left, Best Thing, Own Way, Little Things, Love Is Bigger and There Is A Light all could end up meaning way too much for somebody.
  2. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

It depends if you're making a rank based on "today" or in "historically".
    Maybe today (or this week) I'm more in the mood to listen to October than to listen Achtung Baby, so I could rank October on top, or at least higher than I'd usually do.

The other thing, is how much an album resonated with you because of your personal situation... and SOE has a few songs that has the potential to touch you in a very special way if you're currently going through certain difficult situations. All We Have Left, Best Thing, Own Way, Little Things, Love Is Bigger and There Is A Light all could end up meaning way too much for somebody.
    I still can’t understand. I’m not knocking the quality of the album but it just makes no sense to me. But hey , to each his/her own!
  3. 1 Joshua Tree
    2 Achtung Baby
    3 ATYCLB
    4 Rattle & Hum
    5 Unforgettable Fire
    6 SOE
    7 War
    8 Boy
    9 HTDAAB
    10 SOI
    11 Pop
    12 Zooropa
    13 October
    14 No line on Horizon
  4. Great
    1. Joshua Tree
    2. All That You Can’t Leave Behind
    3. Achtung Baby
    4. War

Solid
    5. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
    6. Songs Of Experience
    7. The Unforgettable Fire
    8. Rattle And Hum
    9. Boy
    10. Zooropa
    11. Songs Of Innocence

Average
    12. October
    13. Pop

Dumpster Fire
    14. No Line On The Horizon
  5. i don't Understand how some people think Pop is good........... But Hey Each to their own. some people Think SOI is the best album they have heard, some think its pure trash. I love October, A lot put it last. Each to their own!
  6. (I'm ranking to what I find myself actually listening to the most, instead of what I consider landmark masterpiece albums)

1. Zooropa
    2. Passengers
    3. Boy
    4. Achtung Baby
    5. The Joshua Tree
    6. Pop
    7. The Unforgettable Fire
    8. No Line on the Horizon (except I ALWAYS skip Crazy, Boots and Stand Up)
    9. ATYCLB
    10. Rattle and Hum
    11. War
    12. October

-- big drop

13. HTDAAB

--BIG DROP

14. SOI
    15. SOE
  7. After listening to the new album a bit more, I'm updating my ranking (I've also updated the ranking for other albums too):

Achtung Baby
    The Joshua Tree
    Songs of Innocence
    Songs of Experience
    Zooropa
    Rattle and Hum
    No Line On The Horizon
    The Unforgettable Fire
    All That You Can't Leave Behind
    How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
    Pop
    War
    Boy
    October

I feel like SOI edges out to SOE as an overall album. They are both fantastic albums, but for me personally, SOI is a very accessible album to listen to, whereas SOE requires you to know SOI and previous work to get inside some or the deeper songs on SOE as they are more personal. For example, SOI as an album are like statements to the world about how the band felt as young men growing up - the feeling of rage and the inner excitement, and SOE as Bono has already described it, are personal letters to loved ones based on experience.

For me It really does comes down to what mood you are feeling I think, because I can see myself swapping these positions in my ranking just based on which album I feel fits where I am feeling at personally myself. Sometimes I am feeling quite enthusiastic and energetic and want something to go with that, and SOI might be better suited for me in that case because of energetic songs like Volcano, Miracle, California, etc and other times, I might be deeper in thought and more reflective so SOE might be better.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:It's funny to see how my appreciation for some of these albums has evolved through the years (HTDAAB, I'm looking at you )
    Glad to see you learned to appreciate the Greatness of POP!
  9. Originally posted by u2_michaelc:[..]
    i don't Understand how some people think Pop is good........... But Hey Each to their own. some people Think SOI is the best album they have heard, some think its pure trash. I love October, A lot put it last. Each to their own!
    You don't understand why Pop is good? But... it's your avatar...
  10. Sure I did! Funnily enough, opening the brand new Pop CD and putting it into my mum's car player for the first time is one of the first distinct, clear memories of my life. And I loved it ever since, I always have. I have fond memories of listening to it, of learning the lyrics, etc. Then I started discovering the world of U2 live performances (first with official releases, then with bootlegs) and, compared with what came before —Zoo TV in all its greatness—, the Popmart tour is such a disappointment in so many respects that it kind of affected my appreciation for the album for years.

Since then, I have learnt to separate my like/dislike for an album from its associated tour. That's why ATYCLB and HTDAAB, both of which had very good tours, rank so low, while Pop ranks so high with its tour being one of their worst in my book.

11. You mean you didn't like when they played the macarena in Spain?