1. Uh, I just read that Bono was 'kidnapped' in Japan on the ZOOTV tour? Apparently he was drunk with some crew members or something wandering around Tokyo and woke up in a heroin den surrounded by prostitutes and a boa constrictor? Supposedly written about in Bill Flanagan's At the End of the World

Never heard of this one before but maybe I just don't care enough.

Seems odd that I haven't heard of it though
  2. A bit exaggerated but it's in the ATEOTW book indeed
  3. Well there you go
  4. There would be no foreign direct investment in Ireland and all the jobs that come with it were it not for our corporate tax rate. Fact. It's like Bono is saying the sky is blue and being vilified for doing so. He's just calling it as it is for fuck sake.
  5. Originally posted by TheRefugee:There would be no foreign direct investment in Ireland and all the jobs that come with it were it not for our corporate tax rate. Fact. It's like Bono is saying the sky is blue and being vilified for doing so. He's just calling it as it is for fuck sake.

Ireland's favourably low rates were part of a culture to race to the bottom to attract big corporations. What happens when these deals run out? The company's jump ship. Some will have benefited but it isn't a good economic plan in the long run which is why I don't think it should be defended.

I don't think Ireland needed to go as low as they did with their tax rates. If you can't sell your workforce for a fair price then you are going to have problems.

Bono's opinions are never popular but I don't think he's best placed to comment here due to the bands own tax affairs which they were widely (and they admit themselves) unpopular.

Money makes the world go round and we'll see what the investigation into these tax schemes brings.
  6. Only the comments are about 18 years too late. It caused the Celtic tiger back then.

7. This downturn is sure to last longer. I get Bono's argument about the investment these companies bring but it's not as if Apple have many major operations in Ireland. If they had a factory employing thousands then perhaps I'd understand favourable tax but I just don't like it. It smacks of the rich getting rich while everyone else picks up the tab.

Still, Bono does himself no favours.
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONO!!!!!!!
  9. https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/05/bono-malta-firm-buy-lithuania-shopping-centre-u2-paradise-papers

To be fair to B-man, the regular criticism of:

'How can he ask the ordinary man to give money away to the poor when he can't be arsed paying his taxes?'

is a fallacy, as he doesn't ask people to donate money. Instead he asks for their voice through political will. On the other hand, he asks governments to donate money (earned through income taxation) to charities like the RED campaign.

There comes a stage though enough is enough. I work as a front-line worker in an Irish hospital. We're built to handle 80 patients a day in our Emergency Department and are currently receiving close to 140 on average.

So - not going to lie - I'm resentful when wealthy people take the line that their 10% taxation is worth more than the average man's 30%. I don't think you can preach about greater equality, an end to poverty, as well as being subversive in general, when you hoard millions abroad to avoid paying your fair share.

I feel like I'm the only U2 fan (and I love their music) who has a problem with this

Does no one else?

Are the boys genuinely morally ok to evade tax because they've provided us with so much great music?
  10. Originally posted by KaiserJose:https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/05/bono-malta-firm-buy-lithuania-shopping-centre-u2-paradise-papers

'How can he ask the ordinary man to give money away to the poor when he can't be arsed paying his taxes?'

is a fallacy, as he doesn't ask people to donate money. Instead he asks for their voice through political will. On the other hand, he asks governments to donate money (earned through income taxation) to charities like the RED campaign.

There comes a stage though enough is enough. I work as a front-line worker in an Irish hospital. We're built to handle 80 patients a day in our Emergency Department and are currently receiving close to 140 on average.

So - not going to lie - I'm resentful when wealthy people take the line that their 10% taxation is worth more than the average man's 30%. I don't think you can preach about greater equality, an end to poverty, as well as being subversive in general, when you hoard millions abroad to avoid paying your fair share.

I feel like I'm the only U2 fan (and I love their music) who has a problem with this

Does no one else?

Are the boys genuinely morally ok to evade tax because they've provided us with so much great music?
    Yes I have a problem with it
  11. Originally posted by KaiserJose:https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/05/bono-malta-firm-buy-lithuania-shopping-centre-u2-paradise-papers

Does no one else?

I am sure no one would suggest they are morally ok to evade tax because they have provided us with great music, or for any reason. Tax evasion and tax avoidance are different things and there has been no indication of any illegal activity. And re the tax avoidance - with his wealth he undoubtedly has many investments and likely hires many people to look after his money. While he and other wealthy people should pay their fair share of tax, I also don't believe that he is morally obligated to maximize his tax burden either, and Bono is a shrewd businessman. I am sure Bill Gates also has very favourable investment schemes for his money and he too champions the poor.

That said, I don't know enough about it all to make a judgement right now since its hard to go just on headlines and sensationalism. But Bono is an easy target and his name is now attached to this story around the world. Even if his involvement is very minimal, I fear big damage has been done not for just Bono but for U2 at a very awkward time for them. Ugh.