Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. Great tour but a few shit songs tbh,
    HMTMKMKM and Discotheque being the worst offenders,dance music and U2 dont go,rock n roll stop the traffic!!
    Still love the tour though
  2. Originally posted by kezman:Great tour but a few shit songs tbh,
    HMTMKMKM and Discotheque being the worst offenders,dance music and U2 dont go,rock n roll stop the traffic!!
    Still love the tour though
    HMTMKMKM dance music? interesting opinion lol
    If you said Lemon or Mofo, I would agree, but Hold Me Thrill Me? It's 90's rock at its best!!!
  3. Excellent if somewhat misunderstood album. Great tour, huge scale. Loved the glitterball Lemon and the karaoke. Many excellent tracks. Staring at the Sun, Please, Gone, I love the heavy stuff too, Mofo (but never thoughtit worked as well love where it came across as leaden), Hold Me Kiss Me, Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, etc.

And the album and promotion and stage production was built on irony and not everyone gets that sort of thing. Sad that I only saw one show.
  4. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    HMTMKMKM dance music? interesting opinion lol
    If you said Lemon or Mofo, I would agree, but Hold Me Thrill Me? It's 90's rock at its best!!!
    Lol i wasnt referring to HMTMKMKM as dancey i meant one of the poorer songs from the mid 90's,i forgot about Lemon yep cant stand that either and as already mentioned Discotheque,in my view the worst song U2 have EVER released.To me it just stinks of U2 trying too hard to appeal to the masses.
    Pop album i do like many great songs,im not a hater at all just that i felt this was an era (95-98) when U2's music was pretty weak compared to the reat of their catalogue.
  5. Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    Lol i wasnt referring to HMTMKMKM as dancey i meant one of the poorer songs from the mid 90's,i forgot about Lemon yep cant stand that either and as already mentioned Discotheque,in my view the worst song U2 have EVER released.To me it just stinks of U2 trying too hard to appeal to the masses.
    Pop album i do like many great songs,im not a hater at all just that i felt this was an era (95-98) when U2's music was pretty weak compared to the reat of their catalogue.
    Well, everything is subjective in musical opinions, but this is the first time I've seen someone consider HMTMKMKM as one of the weaker songs from U2... usually is considered one of the best not only of the 90's, but of their entire career.
  6. Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    The whole of ATYCLB stinks of U2 trying too hard to please the masses. That was why Elevation was the complete opposite of PopMart as a tour, too.

And speaking of Discotheque in particular, one could argue that on the album the song was a big departure from earlier U2, but listen to the song as performed on PopMart (and the New Mix on the Best of the 90s album) and they clearly are trying to make the song more traditionally "rock" for the masses. Originally, though? No

To each their own, of course, and I won't deny that Pop and PopMart were at least partially attempts to "get with the times" musically. But I think you maybe missed the deep irony and subversive nature of this whole era of U2 - and why it was so brilliant.
  7. Does anyone know if U2 performed a full version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" on PopMart? I'd like to have a version of it.
  8. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    The whole of ATYCLB stinks of U2 trying too hard to please the masses. That was why Elevation was the complete opposite of PopMart as a tour, too.

And speaking of Discotheque in particular, one could argue that on the album the song was a big departure from earlier U2, but listen to the song as performed on PopMart (and the New Mix on the Best of the 90s album) and they clearly are trying to make the song more traditionally "rock" for the masses. Originally, though? No

To each their own, of course, and I won't deny that Pop and PopMart were at least partially attempts to "get with the times" musically. But I think you maybe missed the deep irony and subversive nature of this whole era of U2 - and why it was so brilliant.
    No mate i totally got the whole irony thing they were doing (unlike alot of Americans who shunned the tour big time),i just dont think the style of Pop suited U2 very well.
    Also get where youre coming from with ATYCLB but that was a tradional rock album and U2 are a rock band.The guys were like late 30's when Pop was done and they seemed a little past it (even if it was tongue in cheek) compared to ZOO TV which connected perfectly with the early 90s.
    I like much of the Pop album,and the tour was good,just no way near the brilliance of other tours,damn even the band themselves seem to have a dislike for it.
  9. The Elevation Tour was by far the strongest tour that can be purely attributed to U2's performances as a group. There was no fancy stage, no alternate personas, no theatrics, no gimmicks whatsoever. Elevation was U2 in its most honest, most genuine form. What I would give to go back in time and attend an Elevation show. Heck, even the crowds at that time were more involved in the show and not glued to their phones.
  10. Originally posted by ahn1991:The Elevation Tour was by far the strongest tour that can be purely attributed to U2's performances as a group. There was no fancy stage, no alternate personas, no theatrics, no gimmicks whatsoever. Elevation was U2 in its most honest, most genuine form. What I would give to go back in time and attend an Elevation show. Heck, even the crowds at that time were more involved in the show and not glued to their phones.
    You misspelled Lovetown.