1. Well, it would create a new problem for people who discover they can't go to the show, but they can't sell or give the ticket to someone else. Would probably give you more empty seats and such, that is if the companies don't want to start accepting returns.
  2. Originally posted by Mr_Trek:Well, it would create a new problem for people who discover they can't go to the show, but they can't sell or give the ticket to someone else. Would probably give you more empty seats and such, that is if the companies don't want to start accepting returns.

There are workarounds for that. Copying one comment from the article:

There's an easy way to stop resellers, just enforce identification at the concerts, if the name on the ticket doesn't match with some form of ID on the person, refuse them entry. No one will buy useless paper. Wacken, a metal festival in Germany is now printing names on the tickets, if you can't use the ticket you return it to them, they destroy it and issue another ticket to the person who is on the wait list.
  3. I felt slightly retarded, paying strange prices the last three Tours. There is a good possibility, i won't do it again!(It will be just one Show this time for that reason, my hometown Hannover, or Berlin). Ticket prices too cheap? That Question made me angry as F***! If you believe in that Propaganda the big Ticket sellers will tell you, you are lost!
  4. Originally posted by BonoVox05:I felt slightly retarded, paying strange prices the last three Tours. There is a good possibility, i won't do it again!(It will be just one Show this time for that reason, my hometown Hannover, or Berlin). Ticket prices too cheap? That Question made me angry as F***! If you believe in that Propaganda the big Ticket sellers will tell you, you are lost!

The problem is that big ticket sellers are the ones who... well, sell the tickets, so it's actually their opinion what counts If they start to rise up ticket prices we won't be able to do anything (besides not buying them of course ). Still there will always be people who buy tickets despise the price (the Rolling Stones sold out Hyde Park with tickets at ridiculously high prices, for example), but if they stop selling out each and every show and there's venues at 3/4, 2/3 even 50% of capacity on a regular basis, they'd realize that people are not keen on paying staggering amounts of money - even for the band they love.
  5. Originally posted by Mr_Trek:Well, it would create a new problem for people who discover they can't go to the show, but they can't sell or give the ticket to someone else. Would probably give you more empty seats and such, that is if the companies don't want to start accepting returns.

Maybe then using a site such as 'Stubhub' to officially resell at face value and get a new set of tickets at the ticket office (with the others becoming invalid). I know 'Stubhub' allow you to set the price, which I disagree with, But the system could be used, in co-operation with the venue ticket office, to allow you to sell unwanted tickets at face value. Tottenham do this with season ticket holders who don't need tickets for one or two of their games, although they again can set the price.
  6. Well to be honest, to see my heroes, the current prices of tickets aren't high enough to stop me from going however many times I can afford. I'll probably see Bruce Springsteen five times when he's over here again in 2014, and I'll be GA. That'll be five whacks of AU$220 or thereabouts. Plus what I've got to then spend on travelling to the other cities I choose to go to other than Brisbane. I choose to miss out on other things, work harder, eat less based on what I want and more based on just what I need (going out to dinner once per week/fortnight vs cooking at home). So the prices of tickets right now don't stop me, but much more (no more than AU$250) would probably see me start to slow down.
  7. It really depends on each one's (one's = individual and country) economy. I don't have a clue of how are salaries in Australia, but 250 AUS dollars are 172€. That is A LOT for a GA ticket here.
    Official data says that the average monthly pay here in Spain is ~1300, so a 175 bucks ticket means almost a 15% of the pay. If that was the average price for GA tickets (which would also mean that expensive seats would be even more expensive!), I am more than sure that NO concert would be sold out, nevermind the artist or the venue.

According to my experience, the average GA ticket for a world rock band (U2, The Boss, Coldplay, Muse) playing a big arena or a stadium here in Spain is now between 50 and 70€. While the price has staggeringly increased in the past 2 decades (U2's first show in Spain cost 1.500 pts, the equivalent to today's 8,99€), it's still affordable for most people. And even for those who can't make it on the first hand, many are keen to do some sacrifices like you say (not going out for dinner or party, etc). But there is simply NO WAY that those prices can still increase and hit the high figures that would be equivalent to your $250. No way. Promoters would go bankrupt since venues would be empty.
  8. Well we have been doing the best in the world with the economy lately.. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the average Australian earns AU$1485.80 per week as of May this year.
  9. Well, that sets it. Earning $6000 a month, a 250 bucks ticket is quite cheap.

Now, if you pardon me, I got some luggage to prepare and some transcontinental flights to buy...
  10. Originally posted by RUMMY:I know, I know...another Pearl Jam from me...

I got tickets for a show this October through the band's website. I cannot pick them up until the day of the show. I must pick them up so even if I wanted to, I could not sell them in advance.

I'm sure there'd still be a few loopholes for scalpers using this method but if ticketmaster did something along this lines it should help quite a bit.

Be sure that, when you pick them up, some very nice people will stand next to the will call office just to offer you a nice price for your pair of tickets, in case you want to sell
  11. ^ and even some of those who stand there and buy those freshly printed tix, then resell them for an even bigger figure.
  12. Yeah I was referring to the scalpers. They offer big money, can you imagine they even sell it for more.
    The "funny" thing is that ticketmaster themselves launched a website where you can sell tickets above face value, how wrong is that.

Prices sometimes get ridiculous, 75 euro for GA at a depeche mode concert? Big concerts these days at least cost around 60-70 euros

About the quick sell outs, example of Pearl Jam in the US, few seconds into the sale people couldn't get tickets for the lower rows anymore, only nosebleeds far from or behind the stage, how is that possible one minute into the sale?

Lot's of things happening in the background I guess