1. 20 years ago, U2 were playing their 2nd homecoming gig at the RDS in Dublin. One of the most bootlegged shows ever (might be paired with the New Year's Eve show I think), it's well known by all of you, but it deserves an anniversary post I think.

What a night, what a show... Zooropa is all over...

Full show (audio):

There isn't a full video copy of the show in Youtube, but that's what our show pages are for

http://www.u2start.com/shows/1056/

2. One of the all-time greats.
  3. best U2 show ever in my book, the peak of their powers and the always the go-to bootleg for me.

anyone here who hasn't heard it (i doubt there is anyone!) is missing out to say the least.
  4. I remember I listened to this concerts' performance of Bad over and over again when I first discovered the bootleg. It actually brought me to tears hearing what Bono said about Michael Jackson (at that time MJ was confronted with child molestation charges), and then snippets like Fool To Cry and The First Time...Goosebumps. This performance is one of the reasons why this song became and still is, together with One Tree Hill, my absolute fave song by U2.
  5. Fantastic show. Not as good as Celtic Park but still an epic show.

A band at the peak of their powers...
  6. Remember it like it was yesterday...it was,wasn't it ? I found out Radio 1 were broadcasting the whole show live after seeing the band at the last Wembley show on the 21st.I went into overdrive.Find blank tapes C90 (cassette tapes for the youngsters ) ,find 2 radio / cassette recorders with FM capability,this was a fail as I only had 1.From memory I think FM was in its infancy back then here in the UK,but I wouldn't swear by it.Even knowing the band wouldn't be on till around 8.45pm,I had everything set up and ready by midday ! I recorded bits off the radio to make sure all was working throughout the day,record / check / erase / repeat.I had my stereo system and an old TV / radio / cassette player & recorder combo ready and working,but only one had FM.The anticipation was just like going to see them back at Wembley only days before,12th & 21st August.I remember the band were late on stage,didn't come on till after 9pm.I hit record & play and taped the show.Couldn't enjoy it because I was too busy making sure I didn't miss flipping the tape at the right time and making sure I hit record & play on the other recorder lol Got it all over about 4 tapes.I spent the following day,Sunday editing it to my liking,and the next 20 years listening to it.The 1st tape has Zoo Station to ...Streets,2nd tape Pride to Can't Help Falling In Love.

I personally think this is possibly the definitive Zooropa 93 show,maybe more so than Sydney that we all have on DVD etc In their hometown of Dublin,answering their critics (yet again) from their hometown media that were giving them stick beforehand with one hell of a show,a kind of 2 fingers to them.I think what U2 have done best throughout is when they know they have to step up to the plate,they do just that.This was no ordinary show,I had the feeling back then that everything they did previously led to this 1 night,this 1 show.The previous nights show on the 27th was perhaps a rehearsal,but this was the big one.The whole of radio Europe was tuning in again like New Year 1990 (I didn't tape that for obvious reasons lol,listened though) and they wanted to prove to the doubters just how wrong they were.Yet again,they won.2 overriding memories....firstly,this was a band that played a show at their peak at their best,and actually enjoyed themselves.And secondly,Edges solo during 'Bullet'. Listening to just that solo encapsulates the whole of Zooropa 93 for me,it's just phenomenal.Go listen,you'll be glad you did...at very high volume

There must be something about 28th August,'cos 4 years later they were getting the same kind of stick for PopMart from the media,in particular George Harrison RIP.U2's response ? To play another show in the pantheon of absolute classics.I didn't tape that one either at Roundhay Park that night,'cos as the classic saying goes ..'..I was there..'
  7. Best music recording ever !
    I really love this Dublin show.I think it must be the most listened bootleg on my player.The performances are perfect.Very emotional,thrilling,moving,special...U2's best night ever recorded.God I love that night.The funky Mysterious Ways,the naughty and perfectly slack 'Tryin',then Love Comes to Town,with the ending : 'when love came to Dubbbblin town',and the impeccable stay,with people chanting along 'Ooooaaaoooo' while bono sings the last lines,Bono's words about michael jackson then that great and emotional performance,including falsetto-like 'I'm wide awake's,and then when it comes again to that part,real voice,so strong and dense.Then the stunning transition to Bullet.And the magnificent performance on that song too..Of course streets.And of course With or Wihout You.And then :

'Elvis is still in the building,good night Dublin city...'

Wow.It has been an untidy post,sorry but I am really so excited to write about this.
  8. Many years later, this is still my highlight of the show. MacPhisto finishing his phone call by singing Help a capella, just helped out by 35000 other voices... And then... Well, what else can I say about Ultraviolet that hasn't been said.

9. Shame about the lack of bass on the bootlegs but a very good show. Great atmosphere.
  10. Originally posted by gmc:Remember it like it was yesterday...it was,wasn't it ? I found out Radio 1 were broadcasting the whole show live after seeing the band at the last Wembley show on the 21st.I went into overdrive.Find blank tapes C90 (cassette tapes for the youngsters ) ,find 2 radio / cassette recorders with FM capability,this was a fail as I only had 1.From memory I think FM was in its infancy back then here in the UK,but I wouldn't swear by it.Even knowing the band wouldn't be on till around 8.45pm,I had everything set up and ready by midday ! I recorded bits off the radio to make sure all was working throughout the day,record / check / erase / repeat.I had my stereo system and an old TV / radio / cassette player & recorder combo ready and working,but only one had FM.The anticipation was just like going to see them back at Wembley only days before,12th & 21st August.I remember the band were late on stage,didn't come on till after 9pm.I hit record & play and taped the show.Couldn't enjoy it because I was too busy making sure I didn't miss flipping the tape at the right time and making sure I hit record & play on the other recorder lol Got it all over about 4 tapes.I spent the following day,Sunday editing it to my liking,and the next 20 years listening to it.The 1st tape has Zoo Station to ...Streets,2nd tape Pride to Can't Help Falling In Love.

..'

Very good history ... is like mine but for the Sydney show .... i m sure i still have the cassettes ( i still have a lot of cassettes, but i dont have where listen to them )
  11. One of the best bootlegs I've ever heard. What a flawless performance! If I could time travel to any U2 show, it would be this one for sure.
  12. I still have the ticket stub for this show. Definitely one of the best versions of "Bullet". and Edge did a great performance of "Numb".