1. This is not a regular fan of the month topic, this is about someone that was close to us and passed away a week ago. Someone that was supposed to live on the day that he was to be fan of the month. This is for Emiel. Most of you know Emiel from his involvement in the topic "I'm leaving for a little while". Emiel was diagnosed with cancer five months ago and it turned out to become a battle he couldn't win.

U2 was an important theme in his life, and so were other U2 fans. According to his wife Jolanda he found great support here on U2start. Even in his final days and despite his state, he kept getting back here.

About a week before he passed away he agreed to become fan of the month because he found so much support here, it was an honor and he had much to thank us. The possibility to 'write it all down' on the forums helped him a lot, so he said himself. Two days before he passed away he sent us his answers, he was too ill to finish it so I'll leave it with some quotes.

We will all miss Emiel, for the person and fan he was, and in our hearts still is. According to his wife, U2 will continue to live on within Emiel's family, his wife and kids all became fans and will continue to be.

06-06-1972 - 25-08-2013. Emiel Klute.

"I am Emiel, married for 15 years with Jolanda and with three beautiful children of 2, 11 and 14 years old. My hobbies are photography, drawing, and doing fun things with my kids"

"I became a fan in 1983 since the EP Red rocks live...i was very into Madonna at that time shame shame sorry guys but my sister was very into U2 so at one day i sneaked into here bed room to get red rocks and started to listen to it more and more also to the other LP's."

"My favorite show is Zoo TV 1992, my favorite bootleg is Dortmund 1992"

"Kite is the song that means the most to me, because it's about the dead"

2. Wow, great tribute to a passionate and beloved U2start member.

RIP Emiel

Speechless.....
  3. Rest easy buddy.
  4. He will be sincerely missed around here. Rest in peace, and my condoleances to his loved ones.
  5. Madonna? Thank God for his sister

A touching tribute to his time and impact on the forums. As I said before, he was always participating in the Bootleg Round Table and was clearly passionate and knowledgeable of U2 whatever the topic. He was always polite and friendly on the boards and no doubt he was off them too. His strength and positivity in the "I'm leaving for a little while" topic is an inspiration. To read from his wife that he found great support here is a testament to the community we all enjoy. I'm honoured that we could be here to share Emiel's story and offer our support to him along the way. It mustn't have been easy to come here and update us as he did.

These interviews are a chance for fans to share their U2 story, as well as some of their personal life. It's a real shame that we couldn't get a full interview from Emiel, but he perhaps shared his greatest quality with us every day - his positive attitude. Emiel posted a few photos on the forum. One of him enjoying life, one of him after his first treatment, and of course, those of his family as they fulfilled their wish of a family portrait. Throughout all of those, be it the ups or the downs, he was smiling.

Rest peacefully, Emiel. You will be missed.
  6. I've got no matching words really...
  7. Originally posted by iTim:Madonna? Thank God for his sister

A touching tribute to his time and impact on the forums. As I said before, he was always participating in the Bootleg Round Table and was clearly passionate and knowledgeable of U2 whatever the topic. He was always polite and friendly on the boards and no doubt he was off them too. His strength and positivity in the "I'm leaving for a little while" topic is an inspiration. To read from his wife that he found great support here is a testament to the community we all enjoy. I'm honoured that we could be here to share Emiel's story and offer our support to him along the way. It mustn't have been easy to come here and update us as he did.

These interviews are a chance for fans to share their U2 story, as well as some of their personal life. It's a real shame that we couldn't get a full interview from Emiel, but he perhaps shared his greatest quality with us every day - his positive attitude. Emiel posted a few photos on the forum. One of him enjoying life, one of him after his first treatment, and of course, those of his family as they fulfilled their wish of a family portrait. Throughout all of those, be it the ups or the downs, he was smiling.

Rest peacefully, Emiel. You will be missed.

I couldn't sincerely have written anything better. The smile detail...

Thanks to Mss. Klute for getting his brother into a band of post-punkers from the north side of Dublin

Rest in peace, Emiel, and may your strength and vitality live on forever...
  8. I just heard the news, as I was away a few days ago. So hard to find the right words to say.

Jolanda, heel veel sterkte de komende tijd.
  9. Was reading the "360 tour hits Amsterdam" topic, which I do some times just to relive some moments, was great to read Emiel his posts.

Well deserved fan of the month, rest in peace.
  10. Absolutely beautiful tribute
  11. so sad....RIP. Best wishes for his family.