1. My favourite time seeing the band The Point Depot 30 December , a very special night
  2. Originally posted by MattG:[..]

I'm gonna go against the grain and agree with this guy.

Lovetown DOES have some great shows/moments, and yeah the setlists varied, but they did seem like sort of just a hodgepodge to me.

I'll quote this from 3 years ago and also add myself to the dissenting voices. I do enjoy listening to the Point Depot boots, but overall agree that the setlists seemed more of a hodgepodge despite their variety. Maybe that's just my preference for more theatrical, art-project feels of shows like ZooTV, PopMart, I&E...maybe also why I don't really ever care about lack of setlist variety on this current JT tour. I want to see U2 put on a SHOW, not just bash out a random assortment of hits and rarities that don't have a cohesive flow or narrative to them.

The band played with intensity on Lovetown, sure, but knew that this aspect of their career had run its course, hence the eventual sea change of Achtung Baby next, obviously. Some great songs on R&H and great for the fans to hear especially in Aus/NZ, but I agree with the criticisms against the album itself as trying too hard to delve into American roots music. Fun shows that followed but not their best era.

Sorry?
  3. IMO the most Rock and Roll Tour they have done.
  4. Just think about One Tree Hill.
    That song during LoveTown represents the state of grace they were into in those 4 months.
  5. it felt like the joshua tree tour was a rehearsal for this tour.
  6. Love Town had all which the last tours does not had.
  7. They were never better than LoveTown. Easily their peak for me
  8. I agree: Lovetown was the band at the peak of their powers -- especially Bono's voice. He had learned how to sing and to modulate his voice but he had lost none of his power and range. The New Year's Dublin bootleg (which I have on an old silver CD) is probably my single favorite U2 concert recording.
  9. Originally posted by msilverz:I agree: Lovetown was the band at the peak of their powers -- especially Bono's voice. He had learned how to sing and to modulate his voice but he had lost none of his power and range. The New Year's Dublin bootleg (which I have on an old silver CD) is probably my single favorite U2 concert recording.
    Actually he had not learned how to sing. That is why he kept losing his voice on this tour. He had to see a vocal doctor during Lovetown (which it is rumored the soundboard recordings from Dublin came from) who told him he needed to change the way he sang because he was hitting notes 4 or 5 times in a song that opera stars like Pavarotti hit 1 time per show. He basically was destroying his vocal chords on this tour. Listen to God Part II Amsterdam 1989. Ouch it makes my throat hurt just hearing it!
    It was a great tour and there are great bootlegs as a result. But Bono could not sustain singing like that.
  10. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]
    Actually he had not learned how to sing. That is why he kept losing his voice on this tour. He had to see a vocal doctor during Lovetown (which it is rumored the soundboard recordings from Dublin came from) who told him he needed to change the way he sang because he was hitting notes 4 or 5 times in a song that opera stars like Pavarotti hit 1 time per show. He basically was destroying his vocal chords on this tour. Listen to God Part II Amsterdam 1989. Ouch it makes my throat hurt just hearing it!
    It was a great tour and there are great bootlegs as a result. But Bono could not sustain singing like that.
    On that part I agree. Bono's voice was at his best, but his ego was writing checks his vocal chords couldn't cash.
    Not to mention he caught a "nasty throat infection" in the Australia gigs.
  11. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    On that part I agree. Bono's voice was at his best, but his ego was writing checks his vocal chords couldn't cash.
    Not to mention he caught a "nasty throat infection" in the Australia gigs.
    All those phsychedelic germs