1. With my new job I haven't been able to even log in U2start, and I was worried I could have missed one or two albums... Glad to see you all have been procrastinating too I will review Rory's album today or tomorrow - hope to see many more reviews by then!
  2. I'll listen to it in next couple of days, just returned from the way, so maybe tuesday or wednesday it will be
  3. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

New to me again. I know of Rory Gallagher, but that's about as much as I can say. I know he's revered for his guitar ability, so I'm expecting some fine things.

So, the album. From the off it has this basic, raw sound. You know that this is the sound of four guys in a studio putting together an album. I like it. Do You Read Me kicks us off with a real groove. The drums really serve this one well and the guitar has a great sound to it. Country Mile is a pacey little number, I love the addition of the keys too. I really like Moonchild too. Rory letting that guitar shine again. Excellent track, best one so far. I really like the vocals too. But why, oh why does it fade out?! Calling Card, the title track, is ok. I'll Admit You're Gone is a slower track and I can't quite get into it. Secret Agent is more like it. Great sound, a familiarity about it. Jackknife Beat sees the return of predominant keys and I love it. Edged in Blue is an interesting track. Starts off slowly, with this fantastic sounding guitar before bursting into life. I really like it. Top track, but it fades out! Argh. No complaints with Barley and Grape Rag either. Cool guitar and I like the bass in this one. Everything comes together for quite an upbeat little track. Where Was I Going To? is a great closer. Damn, this might sneak into my top 3 actually. Yes, I love this.

Overall:
    A very good album actually. Obviously has a very classic sound to it having been recorded in 1976. Rory Gallagher can certainly sing, he has a pleasant voice. Yes, he's a very talented guitarist, but that's certainly not the only trick up his sleeve. The album has a real warmth to it. I definitely want to add this to my collection and really get to know it.

Top 3 tracks:
    1. Where Was I Going to?
    2. Moonchild
    3. Edged in Blue

Rating: 8 out of 10
  4. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

I knew that Rory was one of Edge's favourite guitarists and inspired him to pick the guitar up when he was growing up so I had very high expectations of this album. Also, isn't there a replica guitar of his up on a building in Dublin? My favourites are as follows.

Do You Read Me - I feel like I've heard this song before. That opening drum beat and guitar seems familiar to me. Really good song. You can clearly tell it's from the 70s. My 3rd favourite track on the album.

I'll Admit You're Gone is my second favourite track on the album. A great song. I really like Nick Drake and this song reminds me of some of his songs. Especially the guitar.

Where Was I Going To? is my favourite song on the album. A great album closer in my opinion, nice medium tempo to the song. I much prefer the use of piano in this over Country Mile.

The album wasn't bad. It wasn't anything spectacular. I'd rate this a 5.75/10.
  5. I'll have a think and post my selection up tonight. I'm torn between three albums...
  6. Ok, somebody get me up to speed here somy lazy ass doesn't have to go back and do the legwork... How does this work? Anybody posts or is there a system? Obviously it doesn't have to be new release, but is the object to be a new album to the reveiwer, or just something he feels the rest of the group should hear?
  7. There's a system. We're currently coming to the end of a cycle, but that can be extended with more names. On a Monday, the member for that week (see second post) posts an album of their choice for everyone else to hear. It can be anything they like, old or new. It doesn't necessarily have to be one of their favourite albums (or even an album, we've had an EP before), the last album was also new to the member who chose it. Over the course of the week we'll try to discuss it, but at the end of the week we will post our own thoughts.

A full list of albums chosen so far can be seen in the second post of this thread.
  8. Alright, time to get the ball rolling on the next album. Keep those Rory Gallagher reviews coming in though!

UNKLE - Never, Never, Land

Hopefully a curveball. UNKLE are a British electronic duo, formed in 1994 that have so far created five albums. I present their second album, Never, Never, Land which was released in 2003. I first discovered UNKLE when I heard their excellent remix of Ian Brown's F.E.A.R.. Then I heard a track from this album and had to check it out. When I did, I was surprised by the number of collaborations and really quite liked what I heard.

Tracklisting:
    1. Back And Forth
    2. Eye for an Eye
    3. In A State (featuring Graham Gouldman of 10cc)
    4. Safe in Mind (Please Get This Gun From Out My Face) (featuring Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age)
    5. I Need Something Stronger (featuring Brian Eno & Jarvis Cocker of Pulp)
    6. What Are You To Me? (featuring Joel Cadbury of South)
    7. Panic Attack
    8. Invasion (featuring 3D of Massive Attack)
    9. Reign (featuring Ian Brown and Mani of The Stone Roses)
    10. Glow (featuring Joel Cadbury of South)
    11. Inside (featuring Grant Nicholas of Feeder)

Spotify
    YouTube

Enjoy
  9. Rory Gallagher - Calling Card

I didn t know him ...i only heard his name twice times , but i ve never listened some of his music . The style is very 70 s and have good guitars sound here and there . It sounds interesting to me . I like some artists from the 70s

Highlights:

Moonchild
    Calling Card
    I’ll Admit You’re Gone

To me 7.50/10
  10. I'll post a review for Rory probably tomorrow.

UNKLE is great choice. I like some of their songs (especially Be There with Ian Brown), but never listened to this album, so can't wait
  11. UNKLE! I like some of their songs, such as Heaven and The Piano Echoes although I haven't really delved deeper into their discography. Interesting to see Brian Eno collaborating on I Need Something Stronger, I love his ambient work so this sounds promising!

Looking forward to listening to it!

12. Ok. I want in... What do I need to do? This might be tough for me, as it's hard for me to share just one...