1. Originally posted by ahn1991:I use the iTunes forced download cover art of the white LP as the album art for this one. That's how this album hit me and that's how I want it to be represented.

Speaking of the this album's delivery system, I still contend that it was probably one of the smartest things they've done. Publicly they may lament over the bad press they got for it, but privately I'm willing to bet they celebrate the move. It got them back on the headlines when people were starting to write them off and proved that this band still has ways to surprise their fans. In spite of bad press, the move yielded statistically significant benefits for the band as all their material on iTunes experienced a massive increase in sales. Finally, U2 was able to utilize a digital release platform in a way no other artist has done before and because of the ruckus it caused, no artist can make the same move without being compared to U2. I still find it shocking that nobody from the tech savvy generation had the balls to use iTunes in this way before U2 did.
    Exactly, U2 showed real balls doing that as it obviously got them a lot of hate but at the same time a lot of love
  2. SOI is still one of my favorite U2 albums, no lesser songs on it. I don't care the way it is released, it says nothing about the album. These days the internet is also one big "complaining wall".
  3. SOI for me is mid table out of the 13 albums , behind Boy, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Pop, ATYCLB
  4. To over produced for me, which ruined the flow
  5. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    I was doing the same a couple of weeks ago after seeing the current tour and found it very pleasant to listen to. It's very consistent, segues into the next song seamlessly and you can really connect with the content of the songs.
    Amen to the segues point, it's subtle and unfortunately not something we're used to as U2 fans (I think the last time a song segued into another one prior to SOI was Playboy Mansion into Velvet Dress, and that's 20 years ago!) but I definitely appreciate it. One of the album's highlights from minute 1 for me.
  6. I usually skip 1 or 2 songs while listening to a U2 album, listening to SOI I does not.
  7. I used to never skip Volcano but now I always skip it, it's a great song no doubt ,but for me it get's repetitive real fast.
  8. I admired the way that they used iTunes to get SoI out, regardless of the backlash. A lot of the negativity came from Twitter - a nest of spiders at the best of times - and other social media. I'm not sure how many people were actually 'offended' or upset.

Album launches are supposed to be dramatic and exciting. I remember queuing for album releases at midnight with other fans and it was great fun. These days records appear on Spotify - great albums - then disappear into the ether again. In recent times James, Kings of Leon and even Arcade Fire have had brilliant albums that have had little traction in terms of public consciousness. The challenge is to overcome that and U2 succeeded.

This time around there seems to be a real pride in showing off the new songs to the media, almost like a new band hawking demos. Add to that the fact that The Little Things has had a massive endorsement from the band, closing a show attended by a lot of more passive fans. This shows a real confidence in what they are doing. Fans should be excited!
  9. U2 had real balls doing that release, we often say they don't take risk. But a Joshua tree tour to me is a risk as it can turn alot of people sour with the whole "nostalgia" thing the album release is a massive risk as it can turn alot of people off. Most of the people who complained about that album are 12/14 girls to busy with Taylor Swift. Either way hate or love U2 accomplished what they set out to do regardless of sales they had people talking about U2.
  10. For example: Zooropa I skip 7 of 10.