1. That's probably the one I'd choose as well. That chorus HITS, man.
  2. Just looking back at some of the discussion about the choice of singles, I do agree with the view that there was good singles there just overlooked by the general public. SFS and EBW were perfect choices for me and might have been fairly big hits back in the day however I would have made California the lead single and not released the Miracle as a single at all.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:Just looking back at some of the discussion about the choice of singles, I do agree with the view that there was good singles there just overlooked by the general public. SFS and EBW were perfect choices for me and might have been fairly big hits back in the day however I would have made California the lead single and not released the Miracle as a single at all.
    Agreed. The Miracle is fine, but it's too familiar, anyone who might've heard it on the radio would've just said "Kinda like Vertigo I guess....but not as good as Vertigo".

California is different, has a modern, soaring chorus, and it's just a cool song.

Crystal Ballroom would've slayed on the radio too (just to say it again). Shame they couldn't fit it on the album and make it the first single.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Agreed. The Miracle is fine, but it's too familiar, anyone who might've heard it on the radio would've just said "Kinda like Vertigo I guess....but not as good as Vertigo".

California is different, has a modern, soaring chorus, and it's just a cool song.

Crystal Ballroom would've slayed on the radio too (just to say it again). Shame they couldn't fit it on the album and make it the first single.
    Yeah I think crystal ballroom would have been a good shout too. Wish they had put it on the album, I can think Of at least 3 songs I easily preferred it too.
  5. The Troubles is another one that IMHO would've worked pretty good on the radio.

---

And yes I totally forgot about Bono's injury that made impossible to promote the album. That was the real killer, a lot more than the release method.
  6. Originally posted by Bloodraven:The Troubles is another one that IMHO would've worked pretty good on the radio.

---

And yes I totally forgot about Bono's injury that made impossible to promote the album. That was the real killer, a lot more than the release method.
    yes, even more so because people would found it interesting becasue Lykke Li is on it.
  7. I remember Bono getting flak for writing a song called "The Troubles" and not having it be about the troubles of Northern Ireland.
  8. I've always wondered a bit why U2 often seem to stop with 3 or 4 singles... why not 4-6? I mean, with the amount of time they generally spend touring, it wouldn't hurt to supply songs more songs to radio (or whatever) and keep up the chances of having something do well there. A single a few months before the album, a single either just before or just after the album, a single around the start of the tour, a single during a break, and single during the last third of the tour. Keeps the band in promotion and spreads the songs out... also, with how long U2 take (and how long they know they take) to make new music, it could help cover for that - and since we all know they're pretty much never satisfied with a final mix, it'd give them a chance to do a little tinkering if they so choose.

So for SOI, where just about all the songs were single-friendly in my mind, it could've looked like this:
    September 2014: The Miracle
    December 2014: Every Breaking Wave
    April 2015: The Crystal Ballroom
    September 2015: Cedarwood Road or Iris
    January 2016: Song For Someone
    May 2016: California

Or, more simply:
    September 2014: The Miracle
    December 2014: Every Breaking Wave
    May 2015: California
    October 2015: The Crystal Ballroom
  9. Just listening to this album. Great collection of songs
  10. Now that SOE is out, it seems like bashing SOI is a new national sport.

Here I am to reclaim its position as a great album AND a fantastic collection of songs at the same time (not all great collections of songs are good albums). Its theme, the way it appeared out of the damn blue in a cold September afternoon, the extras, the controversy, the tour, everything. Don't let SOE's poppy sparkle deceive you.

VIVA Songs of Innocence !

11. There is a big hype here for SOE. Like it was a hype of bashing the first known 4/5 songs of SOE.

But for me SOI is better album than SOE. The songs are hitting me emotional more than the ones on SOE. And I don't thing this will change.
  12. i consider soi with soe a double super concept album from the birth of the 4 bandmates all over their lifes, i mean an autobiography in music and lyrics,imo