1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think he's got to try and find a way to replicate the album version live. I do like the guitar parts he's messed about with from jools holland, to the I&E version then Dreamforce but I think he's determined to play guitar on it when the chorus just needs as you say the synth part.
    Exactly!
  2. At this point of boredom/dissatisfaction with the TJT30 tour, I'd EVEN appreciate California coming back.

There is it. I said it
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:At this point of boredom/dissatisfaction with the TJT30 tour, I'd EVEN appreciate California coming back.

There is it. I said it
    I won't... same with Stuck In A Moment... Would ALWAYS prefer to hear BD/Vertigo/Elevation every night than hearing once those two mentioned above...
  4. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    I won't... same with Stuck In A Moment... Would ALWAYS prefer to hear BD/Vertigo/Elevation every night than hearing once those two mentioned above...
    Really? Not me. I love those songs, but I never need to hear them again at a U2 show. They have so many other firecracker rock songs that would be cool to hear in the same spots. Last Night on Earth, All Because of You, New York, Gone, Mofo, Discotheque, Zoo Station, etc.
  5. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    Really? Not me. I love those songs, but I never need to hear them again at a U2 show. They have so many other firecracker rock songs that would be cool to hear in the same spots. Last Night on Earth, All Because of You, New York, Gone, Mofo, Discotheque, Zoo Station, etc.
    +1...I still cannot believe that they haven't tried LNOE since PopMart. That song still blows me away every time I listen to it. What intensity and desperation and realism. And yet...nothing.

Anyway, regarding California, I'm also surprised that song never took off as a hit. Not my fave from SOI but a great hook that would have done well on radio but for some reason didn't?
  6. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    You don't understand me. I was talking about California (and Stuck In A Moment)... We are in california thread, aren't we? I don't like those songs and I don't mind BD/Elev/Vertigo...
    Of course I would rather hear any/every songs you mentioned than the Happy Meal...
  7. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    +1...I still cannot believe that they haven't tried LNOE since PopMart. That song still blows me away every time I listen to it. What intensity and desperation and realism. And yet...nothing.

Anyway, regarding California, I'm also surprised that song never took off as a hit. Not my fave from SOI but a great hook that would have done well on radio but for some reason didn't?
    You're probably right about California - it's cheesy enough for radio...
  8. As a proud member of the California Defense Task Force, I proudly support this song in both its full band and its acoustic form.

Also, the flaw of recommending the band play songs from Pop is that the songs come from Pop, the forgotten album.
  9. Such a shame this song wasn't a regular on the I&E tour they had it nailed before the tour even started as evidence from this TV performance, it's still one of my favourites from SOI.
  10. Originally posted by popmarter:Such a shame this song wasn't a regular on the I&E tour they had it nailed before the tour even started as evidence from this TV performance, it's still one of my favourites from SOI.[YouTube Video]
    Agree. Even had ‘California’ lyrics on my sons birth card a few years ago.

A shame they sometimes ditch great tunes. From SOI also The Troubles should have been played more often.
  11. After 5 years and 2 months I just realized what my main problem with California is.

My main problem with California is not the lyrics (they're quite good actually), nor the melody (cheesy but nice), nor the harmony (it's a funny song to play on guitar with the change to B major and all), not even the cheesy Ba-ba-Barbara at the begginging (which I still totally hate, but it's not enough to ruin a whole song for me).

My main problem with California is that it detaches you out of the North side of Dublin where the rest of the album is happening, and takes you somewhere compltely different - both geographically and figuratively. And that, for an album whose main strength is the conceptual coherence between its songs, is really bad.
  12. Originally posted by LikeASong:After 5 years and 2 months I just realized what my main problem with California is.

My main problem with California is not the lyrics (they're quite good actually), nor the melody (cheesy but nice), nor the harmony (it's a funny song to play on guitar with the change to B major and all), not even the cheesy Ba-ba-Barbara at the begginging (which I still totally hate, but it's not enough to ruin a whole song for me).

My main problem with California is that it detaches you out of the North side of Dublin where the rest of the album is happening, and takes you somewhere compltely different - both geographically and figuratively. And that, for an album whose main strength is the conceptual coherence between its songs, is really bad.
    I love the song but it’s a fair point. Bono links it to the album as being about first experiences but the other songs do seem to be more themed towards the north side of Dublin. Seeing as they barely played it on the tour anyway perhaps it would maybe have been more suited as another bonus track or possibly replaced by the crystal ballroom which would still fit the theme. Having said all that I’m still glad California is on the album giving it a little bit more exposure and it’s still the joint best song on the album for me.