1. Opening post with consolidated rumours/news etc.

Quotes
    Bono: We’re collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed. We’ll keep you posted. If you like Songs of Innocence, stay with us for Songs of Experience. It should be ready soon enough… although I know I’ve said that before… (Sept 2014)

Bono: We pull into a lay-by so he can play tracks from the next album, Songs of Experience. His voice comes through his phone singing about “the dying of the light”. He harmonises with himself as the album continues and gives every song an introduction: “On this one we were going after a broken cassette recorder type of sound”; “This has got a really crunchy beat”; “You have to hear Edge’s guitar work on this”; “Just wait until you hear the drum break on this one.” He’s lost in his music, staring out the window as he sings along. The Italian prime minister is waiting but it seems that cat can chill. Bono keeps scrolling and playing. “We’re going to get this album out next year; unusually for us, a lot of the songs are done already,” (Sept 2015)

As of now, he reveals the group has around 18 tracks completed, which they will whittle down to around a dozen for the final record. (Oct 2015)

Known release dates
    - Bono indicated it could be ready early 2016, marking the "Experience" part of the tour (outdoor, stadiums)
    - Edge later indicated it will be ready by end 2016.
    - Bono indicated in September 2015: "We’re going to get this album out next year; unusually for us, a lot of the songs are done already" (Irishtimes)
    - “We’re well into it", Bono in October 2015 (ew.com).
    - "The intention was always that we started on the Innocence album and go through to the Experience album. We'll start the show up with additional material towards the end of the year. We like the idea that there's a rounding of the circle." (Adam, Dec 2015)
    Edge: U2 Have '50 Ideas' for Next Album

A year and a half after U2 surprised listeners with the release of their 13th LP, Songs of Innocence, the band is working on its follow-up album. "It's really hard to say at this point when it will be done," the Edge tells Rolling Stone. "We're definitely still in the weeds here. We're not booking the pressing plant, so to speak, just yet."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/edge-u2-have-50-ideas-for-next-album-20160329 (March 2016)

Album cover
    Bono mentioned during the fourth Amsterdam show in 2015 (13 sept 2015) that the band with Anton Corbijn were shooting pictures that could end up on the album cover in the Dutch dunes/landscape/beach.

Known song titles
    - The morning after Innocence The Little Things That Give You Away
    - Red Flag Day
    - Civilisation
    - Instrument Flying
    - Get Out Of Your Own Way ("about getting of your own way, not to fight with yourself, in striving to perform at the top of your game")
    - Much More Better (acoustic demo in July 2015, about Bono's accident: "I only sing to prove that I'm here")
    - Tightrope (Bono: "Edge just came up with a cracker the other day", EW.com, Oct 2015)
    - Landlady (Q Magazine Dec 2015)
    - Where The Shadows Fall (Q Magazine Dec 2015)
    - Untitled riff-heavy related song to Volcano (Q Magazine Dec 2015)
    - The Streets Of Surrender (from CNN interview, Dec 2015, song for Italian singer Zucchero, partly inspired by Paris attacks)
    -Ordinary Love (Bono mentioned once it will be on the album)

Known lyrics
    The morning after Innocence
    I was living a lie, I was calling it a compromise.
    I was making bad deals in front of everyone's eyes.
    Deals now everyone denies.
    I was giving evidence in the court of the hearts desire,
    falsifying documents, virtue thrown in the fire.
    Sometimes I wish that I was stupid and you were not so smart.
    Overcome the head will always overcome the heart.

I'm running out of chance to blow
    That's what you told me and you should know
    Lead me in the way I should go
    Unravel the mystery of the heart and its defence
    The morning after innocence

Is that your fountain pen? Navy with a nib of gold.
    Could you write your name again and do anything you were told, in 10 Cedarwood Road.
    I'm your older self, the song of experience.
    I've come to ask for help from your song of innocence.

Lead me in the way I should go.
    I'm running out of chances to blow.
    That's what you told me and you should know.

The Streets Of Surrender (note that this is a song for Zucchero, so likely not a U2 song)
    Every man has two cities he needs to be
    The one he can touch
    And the one he can't see
    The one where a stranger's a friend
    Every man has got one city of liberty
    For me it's Paris, I love it
    Every time I get lost down these ancient streets I find myself again

You're free, baby, baby
    Free now and forever
    It's Christmas time
    You can decide to forget or to remember
    You're free, baby, baby
    I didn't come down here to fight ya
    I came down these streets of love and pride to surrender
    The streets of surrender

I heard a farfetched story
    That nobody seems to know
    I think it was about that stranger
    It was youth, it was love and it was danger
    It was winter with that warm it gets before the snow
    It chilled my soul
    Everybody's crying about some kid
    That they found lying on a beach
    Born in a manger

You're free, baby, baby
    Free now and forever
    It's Christmas time
    You can decide to forget or to remember
    You're free, baby, baby
    I didn't come down here to fight ya
    I came down these streets of love and pride to surrender
    The streets of surrender

Why we shouldn't trust U2
    Quotes before the Songs of Innocence release:
  2. This is hilarious!
  3. What a night,
    what a show.

4. Loved the William Blake connection. I bet the next album is ready and they just want to test the waters with this one (loved it!).
  5. Make it a Trilogy!
  6. I might have a heart attack and die if the next one comes within a year.
  7. This is unbelievable. Songs of innocence is just go get relevant again and songs of experience is for the selling numbers perhaps..
  8. Originally posted by wowow:This is unbelievable. Songs of innocence is just go get relevant again and songs of experience is for the selling numbers perhaps..

This sounds logic actually.
  9. Double album in October? Surprise us again?
  10. ARE YOU(2) EXPERIENCED?

11. Originally posted by Remy:Let's talk about the next album!!

Quote from Bono:[..]

It's good he says the last part, which could mean that we end up with this new set of songs in 2020. Luckily the October release will already include 4 new songs and some acoustics!

This topic is for Songs Of Experience
    (I really will miss the Songs Of Ascent title)

Could this be the next Zooropa?

What is thesource of this Bono quote? He hasn't said that at the Apple event has he?
If all of our active forum posters would donate € 0,50 a year, we could pay all our hosting and storage bills without personal funding. Learn more