1. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Besides, I don't know what this waiting will achieve. All of a sudden the songs will change their meaning? A good album should transcend their era and aspire to become universal and atemporal. If you try to tie it to the zeitgeist it will sound obsolete in 2 years.
    exactly
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Besides, I don't know what this waiting will achieve. All of a sudden the songs will change their meaning? A good album should transcend their era and aspire to become universal and atemporal. If you try to tie it to the zeitgeist it will sound obsolete in 2 years.
    exactly
  3. Is anyone really surprised? Seems ever since they released Pop (before the album was finished because the tour was booked) they second guess themselves too much. 4-5 years between albums is the norm for this band. Unfortunate that they try to be relevant, be in the moment. Their music is generally accepted by their fan base. They have always played 6-8 new songs in a new tour which go over very well with their audience (new and old). As much of a fan of The Joshua Tree i am a little disappointed that this is the first time they are looking back (going to two (2) shows and I know I will love it).
  4. Well... in the last "you too"... about the period of Songs os Experience's release I voted in "It will never be released"

I really believe in this... unfortunately. They are ready to make The Joshua Tree Tour 2017... about I+e Tour, I think it's over...

I still believe in some U2 release in 2018 or 2019 with other name... because to me "Songs Of Experience" is with "Songs Of Ascent".. both didn't exists anymore (hope i'm wrong)
  5. Yes, funny how just 3 weeks ago the majority (including me) was taking for granted a first-quarter release.
    Now we should be grateful if they ever release this damn thing.
  6. I fear that they will try to impose in SOE a half-baked song alluding to Trump on it because relevance.
  7. Well... I really liked the lyrics, I wish I had some music to put them to...

I'm still thinking we'll get SOE by the end of this year, November or December probably... but... I'm becoming less and less sure of that...
  8. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Well... I really liked the lyrics, I wish I had some music to put them to...

I'm still thinking we'll get SOE by the end of this year, November or December probably... but... I'm becoming less and less sure of that...
    I sincerely think we'll never see SoE.
  9. U2 is all talk now. They lost their balls since Pop. Now they're worried on what they put out and being revelant. It's starting to get old. It has been since they announced SoA back in 09
  10. Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:
    [...] [T]hey are overthinking and doubting themselves yet again, and probably protecting their egos from having a new album be the cornerstone for a new tour...touring the JT tree is a guarantee hit. I'm SO excited for this new tour, but if this is the new reality for this band...time to start thinking of packing it up before retreating to the past becomes their safe place. I wish they would forget about "relevance" and make the music they want to make...it seems at this point in their life they should be confident and mature enough to do that (like Bowie was late in life).
    It was indeed a bit of surprise to read that the album (SOE) was postponed because the 'world is not the same' after Trump got elected.
    Perhaps not exactly in those words, but it was generally the picture that came out the Edge interview in Rolling Stone.
    A bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, because in what sort of a world do we live that the "relevance" of music is dependent of what president
    the US has? Perhaps protest music, but since when is U2 protest music? The Joshua Tree certainly is not. The power of the JT is it's
    timelessness. The sheer power of music and beautiful lyrics. The greater themes of life, like love, struggle & hope. Those are the
    things that make a music album relevant. Not because it was relevant then, because it is relevant tomorrow and today.

I never had U2 down as a protest band. At best the POP album is ironic. A sort of inverted JT commenting on the decadence of
    the late 90-ies. And perhaps this is why POP is my least favorite album: because it was too relevant back then.
    So perhaps not much has been lost with not releasing SOE.

But U2 can take courage in their decision to go on the road with the JT. It's the U2 version of returning to thing that turned them
    from great into huge. Not that I believe it was intended, but one of the most relevant albums from the last months is Blue &
    Lonesome by The Rolling Stones. Not because it is a sort of tongue-in-cheek comment on the loss of the American (blue!)
    Democrats - the album art + title was announced before November 2017 - but because the Stones recorded their joy of playing
    music and being in a band. The album went straight to no.1 in many countries after it's release and still continues to be an
    amazing selling album. Talking about relevance!

My hope is that U2 will return to their passion and their joy of being in a band and making the music they love. To me SOI
    was a success at least artistically because they've done just that. It was innocence with a big ironic wink (nothing innocent
    about production, ambition & perfection). The sort of wink that makes music timeless, or at least transcend the issues of the day.
    If it takes a disguised trip to the nostalgia of the JT, so be it. I'm looking forward to it. But please make it a trip of passion and
    of joy and stop whining about relevance. In the words of that famous commercial slogan: Just do it!
  11. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    That screams of self importance from U2. Like the world has to hear what U2 say on their new album that will probably come out long after the dust settles on whatever narrative they want to preach. I call bullshit. The songs are there and they are in the studio mixing it and overproducing it beyond recognition.
    Amen.

Originally posted by robotsandmonkeys:[..]
    Agree 100% - they are overthinking and doubting themselves yet again, and probably protecting their egos from having a new album be the cornerstone for a new tour...touring the JT tree is a guarantee hit. I'm SO excited for this new tour, but if this is the new reality for this band...time to start thinking of packing it up before retreating to the past becomes their safe place. I wish they would forget about "relevance" and make the music they want to make...it seems at this point in their life they should be confident and mature enough to do that (like Bowie was late in life).
    This.

Originally posted by bushido529:U2 is all talk now. They lost their balls since Pop. Now they're worried on what they put out and being revelant. It's starting to get old. It has been since they announced SoA back in 09

I fear you are spot on.