1. That's what the deluxe version and 2-LP set are for!
  2. (cross post)
    Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    Same here. But also, imagine if we heard only The Miracle and Song For Someone for SOI, or Boots and that song with 24 words as a title for NLOTH.

Blackout and The Little Things are okay and good (imo), The Best Thing is very weak if you ask me but it might just be a ''filler'' on the album. Right? Please?

Yeah I'm hoping for better stuff than The Best Thing for SOE. Otherwise it might well be the unplanned end of their career. I'll explain myself.

All albums and singles since HTDAAB have gone mostly unnoticed to the general audience BUT AT LEAST the critics (those who still pay attention to U2, that is) and the fans have acknowledged that many of these songs were still good. SOI was commonly regarded as their best album since the end of the 90s both by the fanbase and the critics, if you bypass the backlash due to its release method and the unawareness of most of the music listeners out there.

BUT if SOE is as mediocre as its lead single tells it might be, U2 might be facing the lowest point in their career: without the wide audience awareness (they lost it 13 years ago), AND without the fans and critics backing and praising their efforts.
  3. Are critics actually that opposed to the SOE songs we've heard so far? I've read a lot of articles claiming SOE could be proof that the U2 goose still has one more golden egg.
  4. Originally posted by ahn1991:Are critics actually that opposed to the SOE songs we've heard so far? I've read a lot of articles claiming SOE could be proof that the U2 goose still has one more golden egg.
    Yes. I feel the same
  5. Just one egg?...
  6. Hopefully more than one, but best not to count your chickens before you know they are actually chickens.
  7. ....an egg comes out of a chicken..
    ...a chicken comes out of an egg...
    What do we expect?
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:(cross post) [..]

Yeah I'm hoping for better stuff than The Best Thing for SOE. Otherwise it might well be the unplanned end of their career. I'll explain myself.

All albums and singles since HTDAAB have gone mostly unnoticed to the general audience BUT AT LEAST the critics (those who still pay attention to U2, that is) and the fans have acknowledged that many of these songs were still good. SOI was commonly regarded as their best album since the end of the 90s both by the fanbase and the critics, if you bypass the backlash due to its release method and the unawareness of most of the music listeners out there.

BUT if SOE is as mediocre as its lead single tells it might be, U2 might be facing the lowest point in their career: without the wide audience awareness (they lost it 13 years ago), AND without the fans and critics backing and praising their efforts.
    I hear what you're saying about the band last having both popular and critical appeal with Vertigo and not really consistently since then...but the critical reviews of Best Thing so far have been overall good, right? Even the Kygo remix has gotten love from an unlikely fan base source. And regarding SOE early listens from radio stations, feedback has been positive, too.

Don't know if I'd sound the alarm just yet.
  9. Chickens aren't the only things that come out of eggs.

But this is going into usage of metaphors. Point is it's better to not have lofty expectations if those expectations depend on something outside of your control
  10. Still maintain that Window in the Skies would've been a great note to go out on. It would've meant never seeing U2 live for me, no 360 tour, etc. etc. - but as far as their legacy, and from an artistic standpoint, for me they've yet to put out something since then that would be a better or even as good note to go out on. NLOTH would've been a piss poor album to go out on, as soon as SoI came out we knew SoE was coming as well, etc.

So if this album turns out to be crap, I hope they put more work out for that reason alone. I don't want their last output to be some of their worst, that would just be sad.
  11. I feel that people who leave their passions at what they perceive to be the "perfect moment" always end up with regrets and eventually come back to try and satisfy those regrets. For people who are truly passionate about what they do, they will only stop when forces above their control force them to stop. You see this in athletes and artists all the time.

As much as I would hate to see U2 struggle at the tail end of their career, I would hate even more to see them struggle to come back after leaving.
  12. Originally posted by ahn1991:I feel that people who leave their passions at what they perceive to be the "perfect moment" always end up with regrets and eventually come back to try and satisfy those regrets. For people who are truly passionate about what they do, they will only stop when forces above their control force them to stop. You see this in athletes and artists all the time.

As much as I would hate to see U2 struggle at the tail end of their career, I would hate even more to see them struggle to come back after leaving.
    +1, put very nicely here.