U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Legs (1): 2023-2024
Shows: 40
Tickets:
  1. Amazing as that is - and as amazing as some of U2's visuals were - I can't help but think that you can't help but watch the imagery and therefore the music becomes a background to the visual whereas you go to a gig for the music - right (?)

Becoming less like a live concert and more like an MTV experience

Becoming more like Disney than Rock'n'roll
  2. Originally posted by RedSky:Amazing as that is - and as amazing as some of U2's visuals were - I can't help but think that you can't help but watch the imagery and therefore the music becomes a background to the visual whereas you go to a gig for the music - right (?)

This is why I believe U2 utilized the Sphere in a clever way. As much as I would have loved them to have way more intense and disorienting visuals, the creative team and the band understood it is a concert first and foremost. I think that having spectacular visuals, which from what I've seen Phish had plenty of, this is a rather 'easy' way to go and it does indeed push the music to the background as you suggest. However, I never felt that music became a background to the visuals on the two U2 shows I attended. If anything, I'd say the visuals were essentially just a backdrop to U2's music and most of them worked really well. If you think about it, only two songs had trippyish visuals - The Fly and EBTTRT. That said, I do believe they should have added a few more eye-catching visuals on some songs like Acrobat, Elevation and Vertigo.
  3. WOWY night sky visuals would have been great IMO.
  4. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]
    This is why I believe U2 utilized the Sphere in a clever way. As much as I would have loved them to have way more intense and disorienting visuals, the creative team and the band understood it is a concert first and foremost. I think that having spectacular visuals, which from what I've seen Phish had plenty of, this is a rather 'easy' way to go and it does indeed push the music to the background as you suggest. However, I never felt that music became a background to the visuals on the two U2 shows I attended. If anything, I'd say the visuals were essentially just a backdrop to U2's music and most of them worked really well. If you think about it, only two songs had trippyish visuals - The Fly and EBTTRT. That said, I do believe they should have added a few more eye-catching visuals on some songs like Acrobat, Elevation and Vertigo.
    Good points - especially about using imagery as a backdrop and letting the music be the focus

I think maybe a few eye-catching visuals within a show is fine - just not all the time

What did Bono once say with a twinkle in his eye "All of the colours in all of the sizes" - on future tours maybe "All of the colours in SOME of the sizes"

Agree with Welsh_Edge too
  5. Originally posted by RedSky:[..]
    Good points - especially about using imagery as a backdrop and letting the music be the focus

I think maybe a few eye-catching visuals within a show is fine - just not all the time

What did Bono once say with a twinkle in his eye "All of the colours in all of the sizes" - on future tours maybe "All of the colours in SOME of the sizes"

Agree with Welsh_Edge too
    speaking of Sphere visuals, the latest subscribers special videos posted on the band's website are interviews with Willie Williams where he talks about what went into designing the Sphere shows
  6. Originally posted by RedSky:Amazing as that is - and as amazing as some of U2's visuals were - I can't help but think that you can't help but watch the imagery and therefore the music becomes a background to the visual whereas you go to a gig for the music - right (?)

Zoo tv. Popmart. 360. Sphere.

Video is a part of the show. U2 was always into bringing technology forward when many bands dont.
  7. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:[..]
    speaking of Sphere visuals, the latest subscribers special videos posted on the band's website are interviews with Willie Williams where he talks about what went into designing the Sphere shows
    I wonder if there's any tidbits of info in there we haven't heard yet. I can't see the video since I'm not a subscriber.