1. I heard the wifi control on the DR22WL wasn't that reliable, which is disappointing. My Zoom F8 has bluetooth control and I *LOVE* being able to control the recorder from my phone, and never break it out during a concert.

The Marantz would certainly do the trick. Biggest difference you'd probably notice is the Sony has a particularly good battery life, but the Marantz would have battery life in spades for a 3 hour concert.
  2. Originally posted by one8ung:Looks like they have both their pros and cons at first sight.

The Sony looks for a security dude like a recorder, the Marantz will pass as a mp3 jukebox.

The Sony can record in high resolution 96-kHz/24-bits LPCM, the Marantz 48-kHz/24-bits LPCM tops.
    I don't think @SJKamal will be recording in 24/96 just yet Marantz are very well built and very reliable, but battery life should be a priority.

SJ, I'll get back to your PM shortly - I also have a recorder that could fit your needs
  3. I'll say he should never record 24/96 for live audio unless he has the ears of a bat. And the mics designed for bats.
  4. A Tascam DR-2d runs also for about 4 hours on alkaline batteries but on rechargeable NI-MH it will run for about 7 hours.
  5. BTW... the Marantz isn't available anymore.
  6. Originally posted by one8ung:A Tascam DR-2d runs also for about 4 hours on alkaline batteries but on rechargeable NI-MH it will run for about 7 hours.
    Runs longer with the latest (still 8+ years old) firmware. The firmware update significantly helped the battery life.

Amazing that nothing has replaced the 2D as the small handheld 4-track recorder.
  7. I freaked out when it came out (I think it was 2010 or 2011), such a small gizmo being able to record from two sources at the same time... I promised myself I'd get one asap and here I am, 10 years later and still haven't got it
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:I freaked out when it came out (I think it was 2010 or 2011), such a small gizmo being able to record from two sources at the same time... I promised myself I'd get one asap and here I am, 10 years later and still haven't got it
    I think I have three.

And I pretty much just use it as the secondary recorder. Dislike how you can only monitor one input, but still, nothing else has replaced it for functionality and size.
  9. Originally posted by hoserama:[..]
    I think I have three.

And I pretty much just use it as the secondary recorder. Dislike how you can only monitor one input, but still, nothing else has replaced it for functionality and size.
    Three? Talk about redundacy and GAS. If you ever wanna get rid of one... I'm your man.
  10. I sometimes lend out to local tapers, or other tapers on U2 runs. I rarely offload gear too
  11. No affiliation but saw this on TS

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=196983.0

Tascam DR100mkiii NEW IN BOX $200 SHIPPED... I won't open to take pictures

Sony A10 NEW IN BOX $135 SHIPPED... I did go thru the menu on this

Sound Devices Mixpre version 2 EXCELLENT SHAPE $200 SHIPPED... this is in NICE shape

Any of those would do a new audience taper just fine. The sound devices recorder has pretty good mic pre-amps too.