1. Originally posted by BigGiRL:You may have noticed that we have recordings of both Mexico City shows now up on their respective show pages (oct 3 & oct 4), and both are recorded by Mario Bono

I think they are quite, to very good recordings (nice clarity and warmth), but somewhat compromised by loud screamers and what appears as clipping problems.

Now Mario Bono has sent me the lossless files and I will try to remove those loud screams (or at least try to smooth them out) and perhaps fix some of the clipping problems.
    This will take some time as all screams have to be dealt with manually, but I have good faith I can clean up a good amount in the coming week.

Of course, both recordings will then be made available in lossless

Mexico 2 is now available lossless as "cleaned-up master"

My notes:
    Original recording came with a lot of near-by screams, claps & chat - not to
    mention the occasional beer seller ("Cerveza!"). Additionally some clipping
    had occurred and it suffers mildly from the wind blowing in the stadium.
    But since I thought the overall sound was actually very good, I decided to give
    it a clean-up treat in the iZotope RX05.
    Not all could be helped (most notably the wind carrying away some treble at
    times), but most loud screams (including those of the Cerveza guys!) could be
    either eliminated or smoothened. Some chat during the songs still remains though.
    The "de-clap" was custom build and works pretty well, although at some
    points the effect is (slightly) noticeable, but not really annoying (I hope!)

I have applied no equalization, no compression, nor any other effects – so
    basically this is just a "cleaned-Ip" master recording.
    The only edits I have made are one at the beginning and one at the end.

Again, it is still not a perfect recording, but – in my opinion – certainly not
    the worst JT2017 audience recording either…

So, on behalf of Mario Bono and myself: we hope you enjoy!

<- cerveza
  2. best thanks
  3. Thanks for you and taper for share with us.
  4. Since a lossless version of this La Plata 1 recording turned up on u2torrents and dime (with the lineage copied from u2start ),
    there is no need to hold ours back.

At least our lineage is honest: unconfirmed source (possibly ZOOM H1) + re-sampling done with Adobe Audition (triangular dither).

But perhaps the most important thing is that the quality of the recording is quite excellent
  5. How does a taper not know the recorder used? Boggles my mind

6. I don't know, at least he doesn't care to answer our polite questions to clarify the source being used.

I was just surprised to see a lossless version turn up at u2torrents and dime with a copied lineage from u2start (my transfer, which never left the building!), including the "[unconfirmed source, possibly ZOOM H1]."
    This means that the taper (or someone he trusted the recording with) made his own conversion from 32-bit float/48 to 16/44.1 (allegedly using Audition - which is great - totally awesum program!), but again not confirming the ZOOM H1.

The reason why I wanted to confirm is that these lossless files were submitted to us 3 times in 3 different submission (2 under 2017-10-11, La Plata 2 and 1 under the correct 2017-10-10), with the latter of stating a Go-Pro as recorder.

Now, that Go-pro doesn't seem very likely to be the source, but I'm no expert on Go-Pro so I couldn't rule it out. By the time it seemed only a very simple thing to just confirm that indeed a ZOOM H1 was used, or even the Go-Pro, or something completely different with like decent external microphones - because it sure sounds like external microphones!

Anyway, I guess it would be possible to have made this quality recording with a ZOOM H1, when placed (not held, I guess) at a very smart location.

What boggles my mind is whether or not the channels should be swapped.
    I mean, the right mic is pointing to the left, and left one is directed at the right (do I have a point?)

7. How do you know which way the recorder was positioned? Maybe it was angled correctly by flipping it upside down :-) not like there's any stereo effects going through the PA this tour.

I'm at airport or else I'd check to verify those are lossless files. Sure hope so!
  8. Originally posted by hoserama:How do you know which way the recorder was positioned? Maybe it was angled correctly by flipping it upside down :-) not like there's any stereo effects going through the PA this tour.

I'm at airport or else I'd check to verify those are lossless files. Sure hope so!
    Good point! ...I don't
    (but one should indeed flip this kind of recorder over )

Yes, they are lossless. I checked those files by looking at them in Audition: they run full spectrum.
    They might have a different noise ratio then the files I re-sampled, but this is just a hunch; I too am not able to check this at the moment.

Safe travels!
  9. Sao Paulo here I come!

10. Why oh why!?