1. FEBRUARY 11th 1982 - NEW ORLEANS, LA - S.S. PRESIDENT RIVERBOAT

In 2014 a transfer of the master recorded by Reed Hayward was shared at u2torrents. This recording was also used for the long-time circulating silver pressed bootleg "Riverboat President."

However, neither one of them ever dealt with the quite severe electric hum in the master tape. Not only is this hum quite simply removed with the grandiose iZotope RX 05 (kuddos to Sharebear who taught me how to do it ), but it is also a perfect indicator for the right pitch. This because the electrical hum is caused as an effect of the electric current: in the US the frequency of this hum is 60Hz - and, thank God, in Europe it is again sort of stable at 50Hz

Anyway, the hum in the master is somewhere between 59.24 and 59.43 Hz (yes, in analogue recordings the pitch isn't stable throughout - I spare you the details). So adjusting this hum to 60Hz gives the correct speed (a "trick" I've learned on a Greateful Dead tapers & mastering forum ).

The final test for the correct pitch is in the fair assumption that the band would have played "in key" (A=440Hz), and in this case Audition indeed confirms that A=440 (or close enough). Then of course, after the hum has served it's purpose, it can be removed to give a much clearer and spacious listning experience: the difference really between a tidy, and a messy room - or ship in this case!

After the pitch correction, I applied a mild "De-click" to remove some near-by clapping and "Spectral Repair" to deal with some of the most upfront screams and whistles. But there was of course way too much "roar" on a New Orleans riverboat that had U2 performing live to get rid of it all It would have destroyed the atmosphere anyway (beware for that signature New Orleans style whistle ).
    To finish it off, I matched the recording with a pleasant EQ plus some crossfades and edits to make it all go nice and seamlessly (there are still some drop-outs of the right channel which I didn't address, except for the first 20 seconds...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this New Orleans '82 gig is the only time U2 ever played an "official" show on a boat! They should do it again!

I uploaded my "pitch corrected & cleaned master" of the famous 1982-02-11 New Orleans LA gig at the S.S. President Riverboat in the show page / audio tab of said date.

Hope you'll enjoy

PS: This show was preceded by the first meeting of U2 with Anton Corbijn, who took this great picture
    (I used some more in the enclosed art with the flac files).
    - I wonder if this was Anton's first U2 gig...how splendid would that be!
  2. Originally posted by BigGiRL:FEBRUARY 11th 1982 - NEW ORLEANS, LA - S.S. PRESIDENT RIVERBOAT

In 2014 a transfer of the master recorded by Reed Hayward was shared at u2torrents. This recording was also used for the long-time circulating silver pressed bootleg "Riverboat President."

However, neither one of them ever dealt with the quite severe electric hum in the master tape. Not only is this hum quite simply removed with the grandiose iZotope RX 05 (kuddos to Sharebear who taught me how to do it ), but it is also a perfect indicator for the right pitch. This because the electrical hum is caused as an effect of the electric current: in the US the frequency of this hum is 60Hz - and, thank God, in Europe it is again sort of stable at 50Hz

Anyway, the hum in the master is somewhere between 59.24 and 59.43 Hz (yes, in analogue recordings the pitch isn't stable throughout - I spare you the details). So adjusting this hum to 60Hz gives the correct speed (a "trick" I've learned on a Greateful Dead tapers & mastering forum ).

The final test for the correct pitch is in the fair assumption that the band would have played "in key" (A=440Hz), and in this case Audition indeed confirms that A=440 (or close enough). Then of course, after the hum has served it's purpose, it can be removed to give a much clearer and spacious listning experience: the difference really between a tidy, and a messy room - or ship in this case!

After the pitch correction, I applied a mild "De-click" to remove some near-by clapping and "Spectral Repair" to deal with some of the most upfront screams and whistles. But there was of course way too much "roar" on a New Orleans riverboat that had U2 performing live to get rid of it all It would have destroyed the atmosphere anyway (beware for that signature New Orleans style whistle ).
    To finish it off, I matched the recording with a pleasant EQ plus some crossfades and edits to make it all go nice and seamlessly (there are still some drop-outs of the right channel which I didn't address, except for the first 20 seconds...)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this New Orleans '82 gig is the only time U2 ever played an "official" show on a boat! They should do it again!

I uploaded my "pitch corrected & cleaned master" of the famous 1982-02-11 New Orleans LA gig at the S.S. President Riverboat in the show page / audio tab of said date.

Hope you'll enjoy

[image]

PS: This show was preceded by the first meeting of U2 with Anton Corbijn, who took this great picture
    (I used some more in the enclosed art with the flac files).
    - I wonder if this was Anton's first U2 gig...how splendid would that be!
    A legendary show which I always consider in my top50 U2 shows ever... And I never noticed a prominent hiss (or can't recall it), so this one will be a brilliant re-listen. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this one
  3. Just downloaded it - what a BRILLIANT show and recording. Definitely Top20 EVER!!
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    A legendary show which I always consider in my top50 U2 shows ever... And I never noticed a prominent hiss (or can't recall it), so this one will be a brilliant re-listen. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this one
    You are welcome

PS: "hiss" is not the same as "hum" (hum is low frequency)
  5. Legend has it that the title for the 1988 follow up of the Joshua Tree was suggested by Anton Corbijn, remembering this gig when they first met
  6. NB: a fair question would be whether or not this "hum" caused by the amplifiers and/or monitors should be left in as "accurate representation." This is why I am a bit reluctant to share this on, say, u2torrents.

But what I share here is a bootleg. If one prefers the gig with "hum," then the classic silver pressed bootleg is what I recommend (although it has the hum somewhere around 60.4 Hz... close to 0.1 semi tone off...).

- You can hear the difference (hum or no hum) near the end of the samples on the audio page (= "I Fall Down")
  7. Good correction I meant any kind of consistent noise all throughout, be it hum, hiss, static or interference. I recalled this show to be one of the best and cleanest audioence recordings of the early 80s. Now that I've compared both versions, well, yours is absolutely better in every way. The rest of the "small fixes" (channel drops, encore, song transitions, tape flips, etc) also add to the listening experience. Thanks again!
  8. UPDATE: I've added the "Blackout's Approved Remaster" of the 2010-12-13 - Sydney, Australia show at the ANZ Stadium.

Definitely approved (and recommended)
  9. And what is this? A bootleg of San Jose 1 just minutes after the first bootleg of the tour? Yep, there it is folks. Enjoy!
    Thanks to the tapers for their incredible work.
  10. Thanks all involved!

Any chance to get this matrix in lossless?