1. That was probably more true years ago, but I think the biggest factor is the specific mp3 algorithm. The LAME algorithm has come a long ways to help with the transparency on mp3, and I believe doesn't do the high frequency cutoff so quickly (but still does of course for the lower bit rates).
  2. Originally posted by hoserama:That was probably more true years ago, but I think the biggest factor is the specific mp3 algorithm. The LAME algorithm has come a long ways to help with the transparency on mp3, and I believe doesn't do the high frequency cutoff so quickly (but still does of course for the lower bit rates).
    I thought it only helped with the distortion %, not with the cut-off. I'm a long way from being an expert
  3. I wouldn't call myself an expert either, but I did some testing and experimenting a few years ago when I had to fill my iPod again. Most remarkable I found that when making 256kb/s mp3's of 16/48kHz audio (that is not the standard "cd" 16/44.1 audio), the cut-off was "safe" above the 16kHz and even left specefic bits dynamic up to 20kHz.

I boosted the spectogram settings for a more dramatic result:

MP3 (256kb/s 16/48kHz) D :

ORIGINAL (24/48) D :

The original "lossless" 24bit is, of course, all the way up to 24kHz and one might even notice some subtle diffences in brightness in the lower parts. All due to the smartness of the LAME algorithm (what a name! )

But, like I said, portrayed this way it looks far more dramatic than it sounds. A more realistic comparison is this:

MP3 (256kb/s 16/48kHz) R :

ORIGINAL (24/48) R :

What is "dark" here, you don't hear anyway...

My point: mp3's converted straight from lossless at a bit rate at 256 (or 320) are perfectly capabable of bringing you the music as you want to hear it in a practical way. In fact, I found that 224kb/s is also acceptable, with a cut-off only slightly below 16kHz... perfect sufficient enough for "old" analogue tape recordings...in my opinion...
  4. Originally posted by BigGiRL:I wouldn't call myself an expert either, but I did some testing and experimenting a few years ago when I had to fill my iPod again. Most remarkable I found that when making 256kb/s mp3's of 16/48kHz audio (that is not the standard "cd" 16/44.1 audio), the cut-off was "safe" above the 16kHz and even left specefic bits dynamic up to 20kHz.

I boosted the spectogram settings for a more dramatic result:

MP3 (256kb/s 16/48kHz) D :
    [image]

ORIGINAL (24/48) D :
    [image]

The original "lossless" 24bit is, of course, all the way up to 24kHz and one might even notice some subtle diffences in brightness in the lower parts. All due to the smartness of the LAME algorithm (what a name! )

But, like I said, portrayed this way it looks far more dramatic than it sounds. A more realistic comparison is this:

MP3 (256kb/s 16/48kHz) R :
    [image]

ORIGINAL (24/48) R :
    [image]

What is "dark" here, you don't hear anyway...

My point: mp3's converted straight from lossless at a bit rate at 256 (or 320) are perfectly capabable of bringing you the music as you want to hear it in a practical way. In fact, I found that 224kb/s is also acceptable, with a cut-off only slightly below 16kHz... perfect sufficient enough for "old" analogue tape recordings...in my opinion...
    Thanks! Very useful graphs. So, regarding the Chicago 87 bootleg, what would you say? Do you think it's a mp3>flac LAME conversion (pun intended)?
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Thanks! Very useful graphs. So, regarding the Chicago 87 bootleg, what would you say? Do you think it's a mp3>flac LAME conversion (pun intended)?
    It does seem that way, but how do we now it is indeed a genuine rip from those Moonchild silvers? All we have is the word from "guitar101"...
  6. ...but the good news is that this mislabeled "Milkyway 1980" is a serious upgrade over the one source (poor 128kb/s mp3's) we had in our database all this time...

So I added the lossless files of this "new found" 1980-10-15 Amsterdam - Melkweg (aka The Milkyway) + some 256kb/s mp3's for your portable device

PS: I hope to share later this year a fresh transfer of my own vintage tape-trade cassettes... I believe it will be an even further upgrade, if only for having it properly speed corrected...
  7. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    ...but the good news is that this mislabeled "Milkyway 1980" is a serious upgrade over the one source (poor 128kb/s mp3's) we had in our database all this time...

So I added the lossless files of this "new found" 1980-10-15 Amsterdam - Melkweg (aka The Milkyway) + some 256kb/s mp3's for your portable device

PS: I hope to share later this year a fresh transfer of my own vintage tape-trade cassettes... I believe it will be an even further upgrade, if only for having it properly speed corrected...
    That is some serious historic bootleg right there. The first "true" concert outside Eire&UK (the show the day before was in a studio setting, not a proper venue with paying audience and all). But isn't this new version speed corrected?
  8. Not according to lineage, no.

And if I check the "Spectral Pitch Display", it seems the notes are a quarter to low...
  9. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    ...but the good news is that this mislabeled "Milkyway 1980" is a serious upgrade over the one source (poor 128kb/s mp3's) we had in our database all this time...

Very Cool ! Thanks Biggirl for upgrade ! LOVE these old U2 shows !
  10. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Not according to lineage, no.

And if I check the "Spectral Pitch Display", it seems the notes are a quarter to low...
    Ah alright *facepalm*
  11. 2006-12-09 - Honolulu, Hawaii - Aloha Stadium......... Great recording !!!