1. UPDATE (vintage audience recordings):

1) I've added lossless flacs for the 1981-04-18 - Detroit, Michigan - Harpo's "JEMS master recording (update 2011)".
    An awesome show with an unusual long setlist for that tour - The JEMS capture is just excellent (a bit clappy perhaps...)

2) An upgrade of the well known 1985-04-01 - New York, New York - Madison Square Garden recording has surfaced recently on dime.
    It is a fresh transfer of a 1stGEN copy of the master and came with a complete lineage.
    The recording had previously been attributed to Steve Vahey, but comparison with the new transfer learns that the sources are identical.
    The "Steve Vahey" was actually a DAT transfer that @Milesian received from Steve V. back in 2001 and, as such, digitally seeded and re-seeded.

This new transfer from @elegymart attributes the recording to "Stonecutter crew" and has much more clarity and far more definition of the right channel. It still has a pretty loud near-by screamer (as has the "Steve V"...obviously), but mostly in between songs. The concert is very energetic and it surely has that MSG magic. I surely recommend this one from the vintage department
  2. Originally posted by BigGiRL:UPDATE (vintage audience recordings):

1) I've added lossless flacs for the 1981-04-18 - Detroit, Michigan - Harpo's "JEMS master recording (update 2011)".
    An awesome show with an unusual long setlist for that tour - The JEMS capture is just excellent (a bit clappy perhaps...)

2) An upgrade of the well known 1985-04-01 - New York, New York - Madison Square Garden recording has surfaced recently on dime.
    It is a fresh transfer of a 1stGEN copy of the master and came with a complete lineage.
    The recording had previously been attributed to Steve Vahey, but comparison with the new transfer learns that the sources are identical.
    The "Steve Vahey" was actually a DAT transfer that @Milesian received from Steve V. back in 2001 and, as such, digitally seeded and re-seeded.

This new transfer from @elegymart attributes the recording to "Stonecutter crew" and has much more clarity and far more definition of the right channel. It still has a pretty loud near-by screamer (as has the "Steve V"...obviously), but mostly in between songs. The concert is very energetic and it surely has that MSG magic. I surely recommend this one from the vintage department
    Thanks! The Detroit show is exceptional not only because of the longer-than-usual setlist (there's a few 18 and 19 songs gigs from that tour) but also because it's the first gig where Joe O'Herlihy drove the soundboard for them
  3. UPDATE (vintage audience recordings):

I've added the master of the 1981-05-27 New Haven CT - Toad's Place recording made by Steve Hussong.
    It was shared already back in 2011 (I think...) on the torrent sides and it's the only known source from this date.
    However, several remasters of analogue copies seems to exist, including one of my own.
    I did that remaster back in 2005 from a tape in my collection ("unknown analogue generation") and I would have
    done it much, much different today...

Anyway, that was then, and now there is this master - well, it was there for quite some time, but I only recently discovered it...

Save to say: it's an upgrade

Enjoy your weekend!

NB: nevermind some speculation in the past, this is not a soundboard recording!
    Nor was there any, or is any known to exist (it's just a great audience recording )
  4. Originally posted by BigGiRL:UPDATE (vintage audience recordings):

I've added the master of the 1981-05-27 New Haven CT - Toad's Place recording made by Steve Hussong.
    It was shared already back in 2011 (I think...) on the torrent sides and it's the only known source from this date.
    However, several remasters of analogue copies seems to exist, including one of my own.
    I did that remaster back in 2005 from a tape in my collection ("unknown analogue generation") and I would have
    done it much, much different today...

Anyway, that was then, and now there is this master - well, it was there for quite some time, but I only recently discovered it...

Save to say: it's an upgrade

Enjoy your weekend!

NB: nevermind some speculation in the past, this is not a soundboard recording!
    Nor was there any, or is any known to exist (it's just a great audience recording )
    Many thankyou's BigGIRL for this and all you do for U2Start!
  5. A small, but significant (and fun!) addition to the U2Start collection was made today by @ViniedgeU2

It's an audio capture (via YouTube) of the Tokyo 1983 New Year's Day "TV Studio" performance:

"During their visit to Japan in November 1983, U2 appear on an unidentified Japanese TV show. Edge's guitar breaks down and he plays most of New Year's Day's guitar parts on piano while Bono vocalizes what was meant to be the guitar solo. And the end of that his timing is thrown off and the song's conclusion is improvised. The exact date of the recording is unknown. At their first concert in Tokyo on 26 November Bono refers to it having occurred the previous weekend, which would place it on either the 20th or 21st." (source: U2gigs)

PS: we dated this performance as November 21 (1983) - but it could also have been the 20th.
  6. Cheers!

I was still in the middle composing my remarks for this latest update, but you beat me to it

But, yes indeed...

UPDATE:

Next to the "Zootype project" capture of the 2009 re-broadcast of 1981-11-14 Boston MA - Orpheum Theater, I've added my remaster of this
    re-broadcast as well. Basically because there is quite some electric hum present in 2009 recording and I was able to take it out with the iZotope RX 05.
    A little dynamic EQ with the Ozone 7, some edits and a patch and, voilà, a new remaster was born

A sort of "10th Anniversary" remaster...enjoy

PS: This re-broadcast came with a severe radio compression leaving it very much "brickwalled."
    The original (non-brickwalled) broadcast (pre-fm?) was remastered long time ago by @Fradoca
    and is another great source for this early & high energy "October" show (see show page/audio tab)
  7. UPDATE (vintage audience recordings):

Today's update is the 1981-11-13 - Albany, New York - J.B. Scott's show.

The only recording from this date is a soundboard, but I've found four different "outings" of it.

Two of the four seem to run at a more or less correct speed:
    1) The rare, limited to 250 copies silver cd "Boys To Men", and
    2) the one that was in our database all this time with 128kb/s mp3's

The latter has not much info to go on, but it is different than the other three. Which are, apart from the "Boys To Men" silvers:

3) The silver cd bootleg "We Nearly Live Here", and
    4) fede's "rip" of what appears to be the same source as "We Nearly Live Here", but shared on U2torrents with 16/48KhZ flacs.

Outings "3" and "4" seem to run a bit too slow.

The soundboard itself is a bit hissy, suggesting it was taken from an analogue copy (possibly 2nd, or even 3rd generation). It's also a bit "off-balance" at times. Audience/crowd noise is a bit distant but still audible with a great "club" feel.

But apart from these critical notes, it is obviously a wonderful document of the first night of the American "October Tour".

PS: If anyone has more info on the "Boys To Men" limited edition silver cd's, please let me know.
    As you can see in the image below, the label info is hard to read. I think it says: "LACD Archives 009," but I could be mistaken.

PS2: the last two tracks (Touch and I Fall Down) are bonus tracks from the 1981-05-29 New York Palladium show.
  8. I love that the bootlegger chose to write I Fall Down and then (When) I Fall Down as the bonus track Much for consistency.

Thanks Joyce, I've downloaded the 11-14 show, always had a soft spot for it.

Geek note: as far as I can tell, this must be the only case in U2 bootleg history (apart from the '89 Point Depot shows) from which soundboard recordings from 2 consecutive tour shows exist.
  9. Paris 2015 might be the other ones