1. 16 years old today.

The b-side of this album
  2. Still their third masterpiece
  3. i was 28
  4. One of my favourites, think they got the balance of commercial songs and album tracks spot on. Stuck in a moment and walk on are still amongst my favourite singles, New York, kite, when I look at the world, peace on earth are all excellent too. Wish they'd play more of the album tracks live again especially New York.
  5. Happy Birthday to my favourite album!
  6. i was 40 love
  7. I was just filling out my funeral songs the other day (the things you can do online nowadays ) and with no doubt Kite went on it as the first choice. Incredible song and probably my album favourite. Although I generally like the whole b-side.
  8. Happy birthday!

This album isn't my favourite but it has some really great tracks on it. Kite is so intense and emotional, In a Little While always made me wish I could hear it sung by Frank Sinatra, When I Look At the World and New York are these super neat, sort-of weird songs that still have a taste of the 90s to them...

And Wild Honey is one of my favourite U2 songs. It's just such a fun, upbeat, summertimey number on an album that's otherwise pretty gloomy and introspective.

What is soul? Love me, give me soul
  9. Ranks near the bottom of U2's catalogue for me. I appreciate the way it apparently "saved" their career, or at least the band's affection for it as such. In A Little While, When I Look at the World, New York, Beautiful Day, and Peace On Earth are all standouts to me.

But my problems with this album personally are simply:
    1. It represents a shift away from the brilliance of Pop and the 90s overall (I know this reflects an ongoing debate on this forum over which era/album is best).

2. Despite some classic, poignant, back-to-basics songs, it's marred by songs I find cheesy either musically or lyrically like Stuck and Elevation, songs that come off as overly sentimental (Walk On, Kite ), and/or songs that, when put together in the running order on the album, just give the album too much of an overly mid-tempo, laid-back kind of sound overall...I actually like typical "worst U2 song ever" candidates like Wild Honey and Grace, but there needs to be more of a rocker in the second half of the album besides just New York to shake things up a bit for me.
  10. Originally posted by bpt3:Ranks near the bottom of U2's catalogue for me. I appreciate the way it apparently "saved" their career, or at least the band's affection for it as such. In A Little While, When I Look at the World, New York, Beautiful Day, and Peace On Earth are all standouts to me.

1. It represents a shift away from the brilliance of Pop and the 90s overall (I know this reflects an ongoing debate on this forum over which era/album is best).

2. Despite some classic, poignant, back-to-basics songs, it's marred by songs I find cheesy either musically or lyrically like Stuck and Elevation, songs that come off as overly sentimental (Walk On, Kite ), and/or songs that, when put together in the running order on the album, just give the album too much of an overly mid-tempo, laid-back kind of sound overall...I actually like typical "worst U2 song ever" candidates like Wild Honey and Grace, but there needs to be more of a rocker in the second half of the album besides just New York to shake things up a bit for me.
    ^this!
    Amen.
  11. Originally posted by bpt3:Ranks near the bottom of U2's catalogue for me. I appreciate the way it apparently "saved" their career, or at least the band's affection for it as such. In A Little While, When I Look at the World, New York, Beautiful Day, and Peace On Earth are all standouts to me.

I completely disagree- which I always find so interesting; we are all die hard U2 fans but have such varied opinions on their work...

One thing I don't think is fair is when you say that some songs are too "sentimental"- I mean...I get it but given the subject matter of them how can they not be?
  12. 01 Beautiful Day
    02 Elevation
    03 Stuck
    04 Walk On
    05 Grace
    06 In a Little While
    07 Wild Honey
    08 Peace On Earth
    09 Kite
    10 When I Look at the World
    11 New York

How's this for an alternate running order? I've been thinking about this for a while - and while I'm not sure that Grace would work at track 5 (but it would the end of the first 'side') I think In a Little While would sound good coming out of it, and I always liked New York to close the record...