Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. That's with the roof fully open, I think.
  2. If this slideshow has shown me anything aside from the amazing venues U2 has performed at, it is that U2 is way overdue for shows in Asia.
  3. I don't see the damage some feel is done to legacy by this Joshua Tree tour. If they never played old songs ever in a set then fair play...they would be turning on the juke box. But the juke box is always turned on, minus 7 or 8 songs from the newest album.

I find it more of a challenge, and riskier, to play an entire album, including tracks never before or only once before played live, than to just cherry pick the hits off each album.

Whatever the motivation ascribed to U2, this tour presents the Joshua Tree as a whole piece of art, something they don't even do with new albums. Like a play or a musical or opera, this is a presentation of the whole thing. While they are not touring a current album, the safest thing, IMO, is to hammer out a new album then go on tour playing all the hits and a few cuts from the new album. I find it compelling that they are going to attack this legendary album in ways that not even the original tour contemplated.

And, yeah...you can't do this with every album. But Joshua Tree holds a special place in the discography. I would be fine with an AB revisit, too, but that is just me being selfish. The Joshua Tree is a work of art, IMO, and the challenge of pulling this off for the band is greater than sticking random new songs around the hits 90% of the audience (not us) is paying to see. Tours are always nostalgia
  4. It's ok. But I prefer a pop anniversary. And a return to the Innocence+Experience tour.
  5. As long as they do the same for AB, that album too is a work of art, and it might give us the first chance of hearing Acrobat live too
  6. Don't worry. Pop will get a vague mention in an interview as its anniversary.
  7. This would definitely make my day.

My first show was Zoo TV, so I am a bit more invested in the Joshua Tree show as one of my biggest misses (I had tickets to the $5 shows in Tempe but some heavy snow in northern Arizona kept me from the shows). But I would give a lot to see Acrobat live..
  8. A second AB tour would do a bit more than make people's days, mat also be a little bit popular.
  9. I actually think an a second AB tour would be vary dangerous territory for a couple reasons.

First of all, they already did an AB celebration in 2011. I'm not talking about the AB memorial Glastonbury set, I'm more talking about the whole idea of exploring AB as an idea, reflecting on its creation, and tying that to the band's modern state. The Joshua Tree's celebration is in fact being modeled off AB's celebration. I think it would be hard to justify another re-release of AB with the re-release of the same insight and reflect we had in 2011.

The problem with limiting their celebration of AB to just a tour is the fact AB is synonymous with ZooTV and anything the likes of ZooTV cannot be done without bringing up 360 and The Claw in people's minds. For the same reason, a Pop nostalgia tour would struggle, if in some universe the band recognized the existence of the album.
  10. for an AB tour they will have to bring back all the things, the cars, the tvs, the personas and improve it
  11. Well, we live in a ZooTV-esque society already. Everything's got a screen on it, with social media everybody's got their own television/radio stations, we've got TV personas in politics, and everybody's trying to be somebody else.