Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. The only thing I have to say about this is that this tour the venues are cooperating with the fans. They honour the number system and in most cases even enforce it. U2's management is involved here as well and seem to have ordered venues to cooperate with fans, this is why venues are handing out wristbands with the assigned number for the queue by fans. I think this is good in a way, however: there is much to say about the 'rules' of queuing.

Best thing would be for U2's management to appoint some fan manager who takes care of the queue from the venue's side. Just making sure a queue gets started and that each has the same rules. For instance: only start it 48 hours in advance tops, check-ins twice a day etc.

If there is no queue then there will be several queues, with even bigger chaos. There are definitely good things about it but a lot of things that can improve too.

(The one I disliked most was that people who attended Pasadena 1 while at the show were also virtually queuing for Pasadena 2, as the 'rules' for that queue didn't include a check-in during showtime, and as much as everyone disliked it everyone still participated. Necessary evil)
  2. Originally posted by Remy:The only thing I have to say about this is that this tour the venues are cooperating with the fans. They honour the number system and in most cases even enforce it. U2's management is involved here as well and seem to have ordered venues to cooperate with fans, this is why venues are handing out wristbands with the assigned number for the queue by fans. I think this is good in a way, however: there is much to say about the 'rules' of queuing.

Best thing would be for U2's management to appoint some fan manager who takes care of the queue from the venue's side. Just making sure a queue gets started and that each has the same rules. For instance: only start it 48 hours in advance tops, check-ins twice a day etc.

If there is no queue then there will be several queues, with even bigger chaos. There are definitely good things about it but a lot of things that can improve too.

(The one I disliked most was that people who attended Pasadena 1 while at the show were also virtually queuing for Pasadena 2, as the 'rules' for that queue didn't include a check-in during showtime, and as much as everyone disliked it everyone still participated. Necessary evil)
    Even 48 hours is ridiculous, it should be the day of the show at 10am at the earliest. What's the need to start queuing any earlier? And you shouldn't be allowed to leave the queue. If the venues are co-operating then people should just mark numbers on there hand before they head to the show and confuse the system.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Even 48 hours is ridiculous, it should be the day of the show at 10am at the earliest. What's the need to start queuing any earlier? And you shouldn't be allowed to leave the queue. If the venues are co-operating then people should just mark numbers on there hand before they head to the show and confuse the system.
    Yeah, I agree, but you know what happens if you only allow from 10am at the earliest on show day? People will sleep in front of the venue to make sure they are the first ones to be lined up at 10am. And this is unacceptable for venues as they can't be responsible for people sleeping in front of the venue (no staff available etc.).

Good idea, but doesn't work out in practice. I am not a big fan of how queuing works but I can't see better alternatives which work for all parties. As for writing numbers on your hand: numbers do need to match the name in the 'GA book'.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:Open letter from a U2 fan to the other fans that are organizing the GA lines...

Big hand to the usual suspects running (or should that be "ruining") the GA lines. Way to go, guys. Can't stand the idea of anybody other than your entitled asses getting on the rail so you rig the game every damn show.

And now you're showing up at venues before U2 have even played at the one before?! Give me a break. Just admit that it's all about making sure YOU'RE at the front along with the same crowd every show. You rob people who aren't aware of your little secret club of a chance to get a decent spot because of your "check ins" and numbers on hands while you go some place else.

Sending advance line "runners" two gigs ahead to secure spots for a whole bunch of people is pathetic and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

You make the rest of us ashamed to be fans and if the band took a closer look at the underhand bullshit you guys are pulling they'd be fucking embarrassed and bring back the lottery system that's LONG overdue.

Jeff, Nate and all the other line nazis can go eat a large one, we're all sick of you.
    Lots of love,
    Real U2 fans.
  5. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    Yeah, I agree, but you know what happens if you only allow from 10am at the earliest on show day? People will sleep in front of the venue to make sure they are the first ones to be lined up at 10am. And this is unacceptable for venues as they can't be responsible for people sleeping in front of the venue (no staff available etc.).

Good idea, but doesn't work out in practice. I am not a big fan of how queuing works but I can't see better alternatives which work for all parties. As for writing numbers on your hand: numbers do need to match the name in the 'GA book'.
    Is it not illegal to sleep in front of the venue though? As soon as people start getting moved along people will realise it's not going to be tolerated. Forgot about the GA book thing but as for alternatives just do away with the numbering system and have people waiting in line like it should be. People can only hold in the toilet so long so if you say you can't leave the queue or you lose your spot you'll soon see the number of people waiting all day for a spot reduce.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Is it not illegal to sleep in front of the venue though? As soon as people start getting moved along people will realise it's not going to be tolerated. Forgot about the GA book thing but as for alternatives just do away with the numbering system and have people waiting in line like it should be. People can only hold in the toilet so long so if you say you can't leave the queue or you lose your spot you'll soon see the number of people waiting all day for a spot reduce.
    Is it, but starting a line at 10am on show day will result into chaos. Unless there is indeed some kind of lottery system, then this can totally work.

And yes, I agree that the real queuing is actually staying in line all day. However, this also comes with risks especially in summer. Many people collapsed under the heat for instance. And yes this is their own responsibility, but venues are dealing with the fallout, hence they instruct fans to go away and come back later.
  7. Where is this open letter published?
  8. I had no idea this nonsense goes on. If I wasted days sitting in front and people walked up 15 min before with numbers on their wrist I wouldn't react very well.
  9. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    Is it, but starting a line at 10am on show day will result into chaos. Unless there is indeed some kind of lottery system, then this can totally work.

And yes, I agree that the real queuing is actually staying in line all day. However, this also comes with risks especially in summer. Many people collapsed under the heat for instance. And yes this is their own responsibility, but venues are dealing with the fallout, hence they instruct fans to go away and come back later.
    You make some good points, I'm just so against the selfishness of fans, going away and just strolling up in front of someone who's not got a number, I don't like it. I think we maybe do need to start taking more responsibility. If your stupid enough to put yourself in a position where you could faint just to queue up for a band then that says a lot about a person and not in a good way. Maybe they should just open the gates earlier on show day for ga and then it's your responsibility to keep a spot inside the stadium as someone will be quick to take it if you move from your spot.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    You make some good points, I'm just so against the selfishness of fans, going away and just strolling up in front of someone who's not got a number, I don't like it. I think we maybe do need to start taking more responsibility. If your stupid enough to put yourself in a position where you could faint just to queue up for a band then that says a lot about a person and not in a good way. Maybe they should just open the gates earlier on show day for ga and then it's your responsibility to keep a spot inside the stadium as someone will be quick to take it if you move from your spot.
    A lottery system would solve everything. I'd be in favour. Or well, not always from a personal point of view, but it's more fair
  11. It's a good debate to be had but this seems the accepted way. It benefits the organisers and doesn't apply to the 99% of other GA fans who won't queue up until a few hours before gates opening.