1. and me that thought the motto "made a law found the loophole" was an italian thing
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think most of us know how to illegally download something these days. Any official u2 bootlegs would end up available somewhere for free. I would pay for them though happily. You could also get friends who are fans of the band sharing stuff together in order to get a full collection, ie if 20 of us bought 1 different show each we could in theory have relatively easy access to 20 shows for the price of 1 each.They couldn't be shared on here but there would be Ways and means.

not much use to the waitress or convenience store assistant on minimal wage in the back of beyond who can sneak on the bosses computer while he's at the warehouse but can't afford to pay for one show in order to join this 'some animals are equal but some are more equal than others' club.

It's even less use to anyone when the whole free catalogue gets taken down so that, in your example, 20 people can get shows currently downloaded for free by thousands on a daily basis. The irony is this is a thread whose underlying motto seems to be the iem tapers should share everything with us for free but if u2 will sell us some we'll happily cut off those who can't afford to pay.
  3. Yes i would love U2 to make available professionally recorded shows.
    Bono did throw around the idea in interviews back in 2004 but nothing ever came of it, they could sell cheaper Mp3 Format and a slightly more expensive Lossless version, like some other sites do, i would take these over audience recordings any day although eternally grateful for the efforts tapers put in to allow us to relive shows, and some in great quality.
  4. What would be the complications around snippets? The band have to cut a lot of these from setlists for officially recorded shows due to complications and costs surrounding royalties. I guess that would be awkward if they attempted to sell recordings after shows.
  5. Originally posted by eddiemonsoon:[..]

not much use to the waitress or convenience store assistant on minimal wage in the back of beyond who can sneak on the bosses computer while he's at the warehouse but can't afford to pay for one show in order to join this 'some animals are equal but some are more equal than others' club.

It's even less use to anyone when the whole free catalogue gets taken down so that, in your example, 20 people can get shows currently downloaded for free by thousands on a daily basis. The irony is this is a thread whose underlying motto seems to be the iem tapers should share everything with us for free but if u2 will sell us some we'll happily cut off those who can't afford to pay.
    I don't agree with what your saying, it's not about being equal. We're all restricted by finances in one way or another, a bootleg doesn't really rank high up the list in terms of importance. You either can afford it or you can't, it's the same with pretty much any music that's ever been released with the exception of a handful of free giveaways. My example stretches a lot further than 20 people, it's more of an example of how easy it is to share things for free. I'm also not of the view that IEM tapers should share everything for free, however I don't think they should be making money from it either as u2 are the performers and it's there songs. Basically people who tape can either keep it to themselves, trade or share for free. When it is shared I'm very grateful when it's not I can accept it, at the end of the day I love a bootleg but it's still only a bootleg not life or death.
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy:What would be the complications around snippets? The band have to cut a lot of these from setlists for officially recorded shows due to complications and costs surrounding royalties. I guess that would be awkward if they attempted to sell recordings after shows.
    bands selling recordings play whole covers
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:What would be the complications around snippets? The band have to cut a lot of these from setlists for officially recorded shows due to complications and costs surrounding royalties. I guess that would be awkward if they attempted to sell recordings after shows.
    It seems to be only Beatles snippets that are particularly problematic. They had a few snippets on the rose bowl DVD and they had covers on the zoo tv DVD, I don't know if it's a money thing or they just aren't being allowed to use certain snippets.
  8. Springsteen has been doing live releases since 2014. Audience tapers are still rolling their tapes, although there's much less drive/pressure. A bunch of AUD tapes still get released on the torrents, so if you're cheap and just want the freebie status quo, I imagine that will still stay the same.

If you're anything like me and spend tens-hundreds of thousands of dollars on recording gear + labor + mixing + etc, the prospect of paying $20 for a mixed multitrack soundboard recording is beyond wonderful.
  9. Yeah, the Springsteen live releases are absolutely incredible. As said on the other thread, it would be a great fundraising option for RED/One too.
  10. The pitch has been made...U2 Inc. declined at this time.

Not to say it couldn't happen in the future though.
  11. I was unaware that this had been offered.

Hopefully it does happen in the future.