1. Oh, another point - , and I think this is probably the core point for me -....

Watching I&E Paris was I first time i ever EVER felt in 29 years of listening to U2, and watching U2 DVDs and concerts - alienated and on the outside of the experience. Before it always felt inclusionary to me - all are welcome.

To me the livefeed felt exclusionary. It is all about the fans in the building - but to represent that in the live release leaves everyone else cold. It is also messy and incoherent in terms of visual presentation but...also, it is such because it is part of an instant, live, as it happens conversation. Which if you aren't part of if you aren't there.

How it felt to me was like this...
    - Oh, you aren't on instagram? Well, you aren't part of us anymore.
    - Oh, you aren't in the room, lucky enough to get tickets? You aren't part of us anymore.
    - Oh, you aren't on the inside here, following live? Then you aren't par of this. You aren't part of us and the cool kids who made it in.

To make that part of the official live release - that felt extremely exclusionary to me. On the outside, looking in. Shut out. It felt the completely alienating and exclusionary. And totally at odds to the ethos of the band across the years, and especially the lyric - "There is no them. There is no them. There's only us".

If you can see that?
  2. I see your point Graham, and it saddens me that it bothers you so much you're willing to write small books about the issue. (Not trying to be funny there)

But for me it's kinda the opposite really. For me it shows the band is well aware of how the world works and what today's people have at their daily disposal.
    Livefeeds? Yes, hundreds or thousands of people are following the shows through theire computer live. The fact they're including it in the show tells me they actually DO want people outside of the stadium to be involved. So yeah, we won't agree on that...
    (Plus the thing about it being "messy", well, the world is messy, especially the online version...)

Anyway, I could try to convince you, or tell you you're just nostalgic to more straightforward days, but as you cleary seem to be bothered by the issue, I'd just recommend you to skip those parts... There won't be another way around it.

(P.S. seriously, it's not that I want to shush your complaints or anything. I just don't feel the same way about it. Try to enjoy the parts you do like and forget about it )
  3. (Sorry to not put the quotations bits in)

"The band's intent matters more than any of our "wants". And as to why you'd have a problem with them bringing eagles onstage at the end is beyond me. You call it self serving when its u2's idea of how they wanted the evening to end. If it's such a problem just hit the stop button after One. You make it sound like we deserve to have things be a certain way, we deserve nothing, be greatful"

In short - shut up and put up - whatever the band wants is perfect, untouchable, and beyond reproach and criticism? I'd strongly disagree. No band is infalliable, no band is ever to be perfect and flawless.(IMHO leaving "Invisible" off SOI , when it should have been the opening track, is just proof of such things!)

My issue with eagles is simple - its a U2 concert, it said U2 on the tickets. not EODM. A guest appearance is one thing, but this isn't a guest appearance, more of a handover. This is why I say "had they closed with the two patti smith tracks, That'd be much more preferable" because thats four members of u2 playing a song - than watching what says it is a u2 concert video where u2 walk off stage and then don't appear for the closing number

"As you've explained in detail, you want a beautiful, polished kind of artwork that highlights all the qualities of the band. Something astonishing to watch and listen to."

Good point - what I think is Paris is flawed because they had the potential and raw material to do so, and failed to do so due to editing decisions.We have seen the spirit of the band captured live on home releases before - like i say, paris is the first time I feel the end result didn't neccessarily succeed,

"To me (and I guess most fans), a LIVE dvd should be about capturing the spirit of evening(or tour)".
    In this case, paris isn't a i+e show like the other 75 of the tour.At no other gig did it have the subtext (except the night before, Paris 06-12-15), at no other gig (not in u2's history!) did another band climb up on stage and close a u2 concert for them instead.In that sense, it is not representative of 98% of the tour.

"Why? Because a U2 concert isn't some fancy artwork."
    That point I can't agree with. if it isn't a fancy artwork, why spend millions and millions on staging, on designing / shooting / editing stage films, on the thematics and video crews? Surely if its just a gig...then its a band in front of a blank stage with some lights. So Sorry, the band try to create a fancy, thematic, thought-through audio-visual presentation but its not a "fancy artwork"? Thats a real dichotomy there. As bono himself says before live versions of the Fly - "Its a show. We do the business. i guess thats why they call it showbusiness" (chicago 2005?)
  4. Originally posted by BelgianBono:I see your point Graham, and it saddens me that it bothers you so much you're willing to write small books about the issue. (Not trying to be funny there)

i think its called being passionate?

Thats more about graphic design of imagery - and the presentation of information in a clear manner, Clarity and simplicity of image is very underrated - in terms of film making, stuff like composition of image totally falls apart when you overlay text on it.

As an example - watch "Shine a Light", the Rolling Stones concert movie. I can't stand the band, but the shot composition and photography is incredible. .. why? Look at who was behind the camera's doing the filming - Robert Richardson, who won 3 oscars as a director of photography. Then look at the camera operators -
    Mitchell Amundsen (director of photography for Transformers) / Stuart Dryburgh (Oscar nominated director of photography of The Piano 1993) /Robert Elswit (Oscar winning director of photography 2008 + 1 other nomination) / Ellen Kuras (Oscar nominated director of photography) / Andrew Lesnie (Oscar winner, director of photography, 2003)/ john Toll (Double Oscar winner, director of photography, 1995+1996)

My point is - these people know how to compose an image and make it look stunning, and have the ability to prove it. The livefeed may be spontaneous but it is as a visual image it is not just amateurish but absolute visual junk.

Originally posted by BelgianBono:
    "Anyway, I could try to convince you, or tell you you're just nostalgic to more straightforward days, but as you cleary seem to be bothered by the issue, I'd just recommend you to skip those parts... There won't be another way around it."

I suspect that, even though I know there are other full, circulating, pro-shot live shows from the tour I'd far prefer to see, I'll end up watching IEM Fan cams or leaked shows, rather than the paris 07-12-15 official release. The during Elevation, EBTTRT (and the final two songs with EODM, which is a different matter) - The official paris release falls far far short of the quality control the band has previously shown. in my personal opinion, neither Elevation or EBTTRT work thematically, nor does it even present a visually aesthetic competent, coherent image or editing for those two songs, in terms of the Paris home release.

On a side note - If i wanted to watch a EDOM concert, I'd watch one. I+E paris doesn't give me the choice, except giving me the choice to press "stop" and then "bonus features > (scroll down) > bad / People with Patti Smith" instead).

Nb:IS there "I love 360 from the rosebowl" thread somewhere :-D
  5. Just watched this again since I bought it last year...picture quality on the blu ray is great I must say....I really enjoy those SOI tunes and hope a couple make it back next year...

I have to agree with the posts about the band leaving the stage and handing it all off to EODM..I get it , yes that they were the band playing when attacked in Paris and all , but why not have them come out and all jam on one of their tunes or just play Rockin' in the Free World ? I would have much preferred that myself....

Also , does anyone know where that version of 40 thats playing during the end credits is from ?

6. You asking for the "I love the DVD where they edited OUT the damn FIRST SONG of the night altogether" thread?

No, I don't think we have one.
  7. I'm listening to 2015 Paris DVD audio for the first time in a while and it's taking me back to all the listening parties I tuned into during my freshman year of high school
  8. Originally posted by thefly108:I'm listening to 2015 Paris DVD audio for the first time in a while and it's taking me back to all the listening parties I tuned into during my freshman year of high school
    2015 was THE SETLIST PARTY YEAR
  9. Hey all! So my girlfriend and two buddies have been going album by album reviewing and watching the tour DVD's/Pro-shots that accompany each album in chronological order. I was wondering if you guys given the choice would you watch the Blu Ray version of this or the Dec 06 2015 HBO 1080p performance with 2 extra songs? Or am I just overthinking this? Probably both I imagine!

Anyways hope this coming back up on the page will inspire you guys to revisit this wonderful show during these crazy times!
  10. Uncanny coincidence that I am listening to this as I read your post. Right now I'm in the middle of what is one of the best transitions they've ever done: October - Bullet - Zooropa - Streets. Epic!
  11. I absolutely prefer December 6. Not only because they played more songs, but also because they were more inspired I think
  12. December 6 has Patti Smith, so that's a -. But December 6 has no Eagles of Death Metal, so that's a +. December 7 has 2 songs less, compared to the rest of the tour for no good reason. So i would go for December 6.