1. I would love to hear the Zooropa versions of HMTMKMKM, IGWSHA and WUDM. All 3 were cut at the last minute, because they were too U2 song-like, and they wanted a more ambient, disconnected album.
  2. A "Zooropa version" of Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me?
  3. Not released. Just known to exist.
  4. I was listening to Children of the Revolution by T Rex and I was really surprised how much Hold Me uses the similar strings to drive main riff. Pretty cool.
    Hold Me is one of their best crafted radio songs
  5. Originally posted by podiumboy:I would love to hear the Zooropa versions of HMTMKMKM, IGWSHA and WUDM. All 3 were cut at the last minute, because they were too U2 song-like, and they wanted a more ambient, disconnected album.
    Me too, from what I've read about the Zooropa recording sessions these early versions would have made for a more 'rock' album.

6. I'm that weird guy who thinks Passengers is one of their best works and would DIE for a deluxe of that featuring all kinds of stuff they likely played with and left on the floor.
  7. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Thanks for the input everyone! It seems majority opinion leads towards Pop, so that's likely what I'll do. Cesar Garza's comment about Passengers was interesting though. . . I'll see if I can find enough songs that would warrant a Deluxe Edition for that album. Thanks again!

Yes! Do it! I'll be your biggest fan!
  8. I might have missed this in the thread and if I did I sincerely apologize... In Flanagan's Bible it's mentioned that as they are whittling down Zooropa they have to decide what kind of album it's going to be, and as a result, what songs they're going to keep for it and what they'll throw away. At one point they decide it's not a rock album (or something to that effect) so all the rock songs go. I THINK Kiss Me Kill Me was mentioned by name (I'll have to locate that passage) but if not, I know it was recorded during this time. Presumably this is one of the songs already completely finished during these sessions and left off the record.

Personally I feel that while it actually is a good pairing with Gone, if it was pretty much recorded AND finished (maybe missing a slight tweak here or there) during the Zooropa sessions, it should be a Zooropa tune. Maybe that's the key is finding out exactly how complete it was at that time, and from there you can assess what the spirit of the song was intended to be in relation to that.
  9. Originally posted by EnderBowen:I might have missed this in the thread and if I did I sincerely apologize... In Flanagan's Bible it's mentioned that as they are whittling down Zooropa they have to decide what kind of album it's going to be, and as a result, what songs they're going to keep for it and what they'll throw away. At one point they decide it's not a rock album (or something to that effect) so all the rock songs go. I THINK Kiss Me Kill Me was mentioned by name (I'll have to locate that passage) but if not, I know it was recorded during this time. Presumably this is one of the songs already completely finished during these sessions and left off the record.

Personally I feel that while it actually is a good pairing with Gone, if it was pretty much recorded AND finished (maybe missing a slight tweak here or there) during the Zooropa sessions, it should be a Zooropa tune. Maybe that's the key is finding out exactly how complete it was at that time, and from there you can assess what the spirit of the song was intended to be in relation to that.
    The thing is that U2 sometimes writes tracks during sessions that don't fit or aren't finished.

The basic track (without vocals) of Even Better Than The Real Thing was recorded in the same session as "Desire" for example. Then there's Down All The Days which didn't fit on AB and was overhauled to become Numb. I personally don't think HMTMKMKM wasn't finished in '93 in the way we heard it in '95 as they had a tough enough time finishing the songs they were going with for ZR.
  10. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    The thing is that U2 sometimes writes tracks during sessions that don't fit or aren't finished.

The basic track (without vocals) of Even Better Than The Real Thing was recorded in the same session as "Desire" for example. Then there's Down All The Days which didn't fit on AB and was overhauled to become Numb. I personally don't think HMTMKMKM wasn't finished in '93 in the way we heard it in '95 as they had a tough enough time finishing the songs they were going with for ZR.

Yeah you're probably right.
  11. Originally posted by melon51:[..]

I don't think it would have fitted on Zooropa or Pop in the way it turned out musically ,with the the full on production treatment and Orchestral arrangements they really went all out with it and with the tie in with the Batman film gave it massive exposure and made it one of their biggest worldwide singles and IMO one of their best.
  12. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    I don't think it would have fitted on Zooropa or Pop in the way it turned out musically ,with the the full on production treatment and Orchestral arrangements they really went all out with it and with the tie in with the Batman film gave it massive exposure and made it one of their biggest worldwide singles and IMO one of their best.
    Is there anything known about how/when they did that treatment and orchestra? Only thing I remember reading recently is that the video had to be edited after supplying the master to MTV or something..

@popmarter as a radio single it was absolutely one of their best (just looked up it was a Top-10 mainstream hit in holland)