1. Agree! Maybe add Luminious Times, Spanish Eyes, Walk to the Water, and Deep in the Heart too!
  2. Those belong to a different "era" for me, but they would sound great in the company of Heartland.

I would definetely add A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel and a U2 version of "She's A Mistery To Me" would also fit in, I think.

Anyway, we can all make our own version these days, can't we?
    Plus, I still enjoy listening to the original R&H, despite it's flaws. There simply to much good stuff on it.
  3. Lovetown really was "the End of Something" for U2.

It was also an absolute pinnacle.

For those of us old enough to have lived through all the changes, the reason some of us feel some disappointment with the band these days is what they did back then:

1. The young amazing band building to War/the shows like Red Rocks.

2. The band who suddenly took a breathtaking sideways step with UF and discovered new textures and depths.

3. The band who began to absorb American roots music and produced one of the great albums of the 80s (JT), then owned the world through amazing tours, culminating in the Love Town version with BB King.

4. The most unexpected pivot in modern rock history from strength to even greater strength. Achtung Baby is a masterpiece of the highest order and not a single one of us saw it coming. It was like they discovered yet another country.

5. The band that held its own against the grunge movement to make consistently weird and great music for the 90s. Even if one could argue that the 90s began with Nirvana and ended with Radiohead, U2 owned the 90s, had the best tours, and continued a run of unprecedented greatness by carrying off the Beatlesque trick of being wildly popular AND musically daring and creative.

So that's 20 years of constant evolution and triumph as writers and performers. The last 20 years...well...

Back to the subject at hand, if they had broken up in 1991, they still would have had one of the greatest careers in rock history and those LoveTown concerts would be legendary (as they should be).
  4. Originally posted by dstankie:Lovetown really was "the End of Something" for U2.

It was also an absolute pinnacle.

For those of us old enough to have lived through all the changes, the reason some of us feel some disappointment with the band these days is what they did back then:

1. The young amazing band building to War/the shows like Red Rocks.

2. The band who suddenly took a breathtaking sideways step with UF and discovered new textures and depths.

3. The band who began to absorb American roots music and produced one of the great albums of the 80s (JT), then owned the world through amazing tours, culminating in the Love Town version with BB King.

4. The most unexpected pivot in modern rock history from strength to even greater strength. Achtung Baby is a masterpiece of the highest order and not a single one of us saw it coming. It was like they discovered yet another country.

5. The band that held its own against the grunge movement to make consistently weird and great music for the 90s. Even if one could argue that the 90s began with Nirvana and ended with Radiohead, U2 owned the 90s, had the best tours, and continued a run of unprecedented greatness by carrying off the Beatlesque trick of being wildly popular AND musically daring and creative.

So that's 20 years of constant evolution and triumph as writers and performers. The last 20 years...well...

Back to the subject at hand, if they had broken up in 1991, they still would have had one of the greatest careers in rock history and those LoveTown concerts would be legendary (as they should be).
    Point 5 is probably the most important one, they went against the grain an risked it all, but probably survived because of it
  5. the thing about the band is they never hid under an umbrella of styles or within a genre

yeh, we may call them 'rock' theses days (well, post achtung baby ) but originally they had no genre because they were their own style

i don't know about 'risking it' though because they became 'influenced by' rather than influencers themselves (in the old term of the word) and did jump on and ride the current musical waves of the times leading through the 90s

atyclb saw a band realising they were getting older and the rest is history

but i loved the lovetown era - it seemed exciting and the band were on fire live

they still were on fire after it and are still brilliant live to this day to be fair - but when they do tour these days setlists can be a bit dull and fan-pleasing

crazy how the time has flown

anyway, as fans always say, time to open up the vaults both audio and video
  6. AB was the perfect answer to the grunge movement.. a bit industrial, a bit dance, a bit dark and moody (ok maybe a lot)..was like the European version of grunge if that makes sense. Perfect for the time. And I'm glad they pivoted away from the JT/RandH sounds- even though AB was borne of band strife and all we've heard about already, they were burned out after JT and Lovetown. Ultimately it was good for them to go in a new direction. Fast forward to post-Zoo and Popmart, they were ready for another direction- getting back to the sound of "four men playing in a room" or whatever the quote was. But back to Lovetown, I love the Sydney clips. We need some vault releases indeed