1. I love Elvis for its moody stream of consciousness Bongolese. It was obviously never going to be a radio or live hit but it captures something unique and sits comfortably among the other tracks. 4th of July is a waste of time to me, easily replaceable with any of the B-side.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It's too short and it's got one too many less-than-brilliant songs to be the "best of the lot", but it sure is overlooked from fans and critics. The two big hits eclipse the other five gems (A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, Promenade & Indian Summer Sky), and then there's 3 songs unworthy of a U2 album slot. MLK, 4th Of July and Elvis are mediocre songs that probably Eno convinced them to include "as is" instead of leaving them as B sides and working on 3 other proper songs. But anyway it's a good album that gets ignored quite often and hence is a very enjoyable listen because it sounds much fresher than all the other (probably overplayed by us) ones!
    ‘Complete’ in this sense is by no means the best. It just feels thematically and musically coherent throughout. Similar to Zooropa for me. I’ll be diving into this one quite a bit more but thoroughly enjoying it.

ASOH, Pride, Bad, Wire, Promenane, TUF and Indian summer Sky are all bangers. MLK has its place too. Would love to have Bass Trap on there too but it for sure would have been one too many short songs for one album.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    ‘Complete’ in this sense is by no means the best. It just feels thematically and musically coherent throughout. Similar to Zooropa for me. I’ll be diving into this one quite a bit more but thoroughly enjoying it.

ASOH, Pride, Bad, Wire, Promenane, TUF and Indian summer Sky are all bangers. MLK has its place too. Would love to have Bass Trap on there too but it for sure would have been one too many short songs for one album.
    Yeah Zooropa is a similar album in terms of coherence and overall theme, I knew you'd mention it. Funnily enough they're the 2 shortest albums both in duration and in number of songs.

Having Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, Bass Trap and Boomerang II instead of 4th Of July and Elvis would have made TUF a much better album. Shame.
  4. And to think that Bono reckons it was Bad that he didn’t finish.
  5. He probably doesn't even remember 4 or 5 of these songs at all so..
  6. I was listening to So Cruel this morning and the thought occurred to me that it is a polished version of Elvis. It starts off with a similarly restrained hushed tone, with words spoken rather than sung, and builds to a crescendo finish. The pace and rythmn also feels similar. Lyrically, of course, they are poles apart, one being Bongolese and the other pure magic. Is So Cruel what Elvis could have been?
  7. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I was listening to So Cruel this morning and the thought occurred to me that it is a polished version of Elvis. It starts off with a similarly restrained hushed tone, with words spoken rather than sung, and builds to a crescendo finish. The pace and rythmn also feels similar. Lyrically, of course, they are poles apart, one being Bongolese and the other pure magic. Is So Cruel what Elvis could have been?
    Straws
  8. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I was listening to So Cruel this morning and the thought occurred to me that it is a polished version of Elvis. It starts off with a similarly restrained hushed tone, with words spoken rather than sung, and builds to a crescendo finish. The pace and rythmn also feels similar. Lyrically, of course, they are poles apart, one being Bongolese and the other pure magic. Is So Cruel what Elvis could have been?
    Ehm