1. Every month we have a U2 show in the spotlights, the show of this month took place on 1979-10-05 - Cork. You can download this show, read reviews or write your own review on the show page here. In this thread you can discuss this show!

"Everything's great about this gig. To understand and gauge U2 of today is to really get into the spirit of this show. At the very core, little has changed."

1979-10-05 - Cork, Ireland - Cork Opera House

Stories For Boys
    The Speed Of Life
    Cartoon World
    The King's New Clothes
    Inside Out
    Another Time, Another Place
    Boy-Girl
    Out Of Control

encore(s):
    Glad To See You Go

Comments:
    To celebrate U2's 40th anniversary we go 37 years back in time, to Cork in Ireland. One of the earliest shows there is a recording of, and it is one full of gems. In this show you can hear many old and unreleased tunes, most of which are very punk/new wave and during the show you can hear some of the early spirit of the band U2. Many things have changed since 1979, but also many things haven't. Enjoy!

Show page
    1979-10-05 - Cork, Ireland - Cork Opera House
  2. One of the first bootlegs you can find and full of rarities!
    Check out Bono making a couple feel awkward as hell
  3. ooooh, exciting times!
  4. They're still Out of Control!
  5. The stage of the Cork Opera House is fronted by an orchestra pit which is quite deep and wide. From the moment the band entered, Bono was eying the distance he might have to jump to get to the front row. This was a foretaste of what was to come in far flung halls around the world when the late great Dennis Sheehan would be chasing all over the place trying to protect Bono from himself, and the audience. Bono did not jump at the Cork Opera House, but that impulse was there all the time.

Most of the audience on that October night had never seen or heard of U2 before. But the band did everything in their power on the vast stage of the Opera House to make sure we wouldn't forget them after that short gig. We didn't.

This show is history and should be treated and listened to as such
  6. Amazing show they played fast ,melodic ,tight ,energetic rock .My favorite version of cartoon world from this show ! I wish their were more 1979 shows available like this ! ! !
  7. Today's the day to listen to this if you haven't done yet
  8. Also the 1978 Demos if you have them handy
  9. If you haven't heard this concert, I would advise you give it a listen. Its where many fans bootleg collection starts, and we are lucky to have this early gem, of a band a million miles away from where they want to be, but totally believing they will get there.
  10. Originally posted by paulc:If you haven't heard this concert, I would advise you give it a listen. Its where many fans bootleg collection starts, and we are lucky to have this early gem of a band a million miles away from where they want to be, but totally believing they will get there.
    THIS
    A thousand times this
  11. I cannot wait to listen to this!