1. Kinda ironic how they chose a Kmart in 97(?) to do this and now the company is dead. At the time it was irony that made them choose Kmart, now most Kmarts like the one I worked at are just parking lots.

25 years changes a lot
  2. Fun watch! 35:00 in ‘interactive U2’ just great πŸ˜‚. But seeing the tour dates: Vancouver in december? North American Popmart was just to cold
  3. Originally posted by Pipo:Fun watch! 35:00 in ‘interactive U2’ just great πŸ˜‚. But seeing the tour dates: Vancouver in december? North American Popmart was just to cold
    If it puts your mind at ease, it was an indoor stadium with adequate heating!
  4. 35:16 "We were working on some video games... we thought it would be interesting to take some of the characters from ZooTV and kind of set them off on their own little lives." Anyone know more about this? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else and am intrigued.
  5. Originally posted by ap5:For as much as I love the Pop album and the Pop-Mart tour that press conference was just a brutally cringe-worthy moment for U2. Watching it at the time I just wondered WTH the band were thinking. Weird stuff.
    It was a strange move where they looked uncomfortable and didn't sound overly convinced of the Supermarket theme either, I think after Zoo TV they thought they could get away with anything but for some people that whole campaign was just a bit too far away from what made them like U2 in the first place hence why they retreated to a more back to basics approach with ALTYCLB and Elevation tour.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:Pop was commercial suicide for the band in the US πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ its still baffling as to why the Americans didn't get it as it has probably the strongest collection of songs on an album apart from JT and AB ,I'm guessing it was a variety of reasons the title put people off ,the video for Discoteque which Edge mentions in the U2 book , or more likely that they incorporated alternative rock, techno, dance, and electronica influences into their sound which for some traditionalists was a step too far.

The dance/eletronic culture have never been in the mainstream in US they it has been in Europe.
  7. Nope they love their rock music,probably why post 2000 U2 sold out Elevation and Vertigo.
    It was a ballsy move by the band to go towards this direction,more so I'd say than the AB revamp of the band.
    I agree there's some really good songs off Pop but the whole dance/electronica thing pissed on the good work, perfect example of a huge band believing they could do anything and it would pass as successful.
  8. Wrong thread*
  9. There’s no dance and electronic etc on pop (apart from the remixes and b-sides) Bullshit to label the album as a dance/ techno album like Some media/ reviews did. Bono also mentoined that in interviews about pop album, as a misunderstood album.