1. Hi Remy,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

I get it. If you check out the Kickstarter page, I say very clearly none of the funds are to be used for tickets for shows. Travel to go film? Yes. Traveling to make a film is expensive.
    Why do it around tour time? Well that is when U2 fans are gathering at the shows, and so its the easiest time to capture the stories from the fans, but to do that you have to get to the where the shows are.
    Ive seen the fan made concerts done on tours past, Ive seen a couple fan made GA line experience films, and I enjoy them but they would not be of the quality that can be broadcast or showed on Netflix. Thats what I want to do, make a professional film. Thats what I do by trade, make professional films. When I approached this and created a budget I did it based on what the bare minimum would be to make a professional film. My time to pre-produce, film, edit and deliver is not what the costs reflect. But, for example having a Director of Photography with a grip truck (lights and electric supplies) should we be able to film interviews with the crew or management or the band, costs a lot of money. That has to be planned for in advance. Its not wise to find yourself in that situation and then have to beg borrow or steal to try an make that happen when you get to that bridge. There are plenty of fans that have some experience, that might be willing to donate to their time to the cause, but thats not really the best way to work. Its better to hire seasoned pros for that, and they cost money too. I targeted this film to be between 75 and 90 minutes long, most films that length have budgets that would be around $150,000. True some are done for less, but many are done for more.
    I have done 7 films thru Kickstarter on Hawaiian musicians, each one has been done for a budget of around $30,000... but they required less travel, and their scale are not as large in terms of how many people need to be interviewed and included. I do those films because it's my way to help perpetuate Hawaiian culture, and like this film they get done for what we can raise, the bare minimum of what it would take to make the film, not what the real budget would be if my passion for the project is removed and it was just being done by a production company as a job. I've learned that if you don't do it for what you can, then nothing gets done, and its better to get it done. Hopefully my experience in doing this will be considered by fans.
    To make a film that we can get onto streaming services like Netflix, and shown in film festivals.. something that the fans truly deserve is going to cost some money to make. I've wanted to do this since Elevation, I know others have wanted to do this too. This is my attempt, if the fans decide they trust me with it, and if the fans decide they want to make this a reality, for us, for each other, then it will happen. If not, then it won't. But nothing happens unless we try right? So that is why I put my proposal on the table to do it.
    Again, thanks for asking what I am sure many have asked, I really appreciate that, and I hope i brought some clarity to the issue.
  2. Can I be your camera operator? Or your director of photography? Even being the guy who provides with instant coffee would suit me

Just kidding. Good luck with your project and I hope the critics aren't spot on.
  3. Thanks Like A song,
    Honestly I have not directly heard much criticism, and those that have I think just do not understand the scope of a film like this, or how fundraising on Kickstarter really works. Thats ok Having made 8 feature length documentaries, and successfully funding 4 of them on Kickstarter I will stick with what my experience has taught me.

We will get to the goal, we have had great support from some fantastic people. If you work in the film industry maybe we can find a way to get you involved. This is everyone's film, and everyone's story, even those that are critical.
  4. Originally posted by dbinteract:Hi Remy,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

I get it. If you check out the Kickstarter page, I say very clearly none of the funds are to be used for tickets for shows. Travel to go film? Yes. Traveling to make a film is expensive.
    Why do it around tour time? Well that is when U2 fans are gathering at the shows, and so its the easiest time to capture the stories from the fans, but to do that you have to get to the where the shows are.
    Ive seen the fan made concerts done on tours past, Ive seen a couple fan made GA line experience films, and I enjoy them but they would not be of the quality that can be broadcast or showed on Netflix. Thats what I want to do, make a professional film. Thats what I do by trade, make professional films. When I approached this and created a budget I did it based on what the bare minimum would be to make a professional film. My time to pre-produce, film, edit and deliver is not what the costs reflect. But, for example having a Director of Photography with a grip truck (lights and electric supplies) should we be able to film interviews with the crew or management or the band, costs a lot of money. That has to be planned for in advance. Its not wise to find yourself in that situation and then have to beg borrow or steal to try an make that happen when you get to that bridge. There are plenty of fans that have some experience, that might be willing to donate to their time to the cause, but thats not really the best way to work. Its better to hire seasoned pros for that, and they cost money too. I targeted this film to be between 75 and 90 minutes long, most films that length have budgets that would be around $150,000. True some are done for less, but many are done for more.
    I have done 7 films thru Kickstarter on Hawaiian musicians, each one has been done for a budget of around $30,000... but they required less travel, and their scale are not as large in terms of how many people need to be interviewed and included. I do those films because it's my way to help perpetuate Hawaiian culture, and like this film they get done for what we can raise, the bare minimum of what it would take to make the film, not what the real budget would be if my passion for the project is removed and it was just being done by a production company as a job. I've learned that if you don't do it for what you can, then nothing gets done, and its better to get it done. Hopefully my experience in doing this will be considered by fans.
    To make a film that we can get onto streaming services like Netflix, and shown in film festivals.. something that the fans truly deserve is going to cost some money to make. I've wanted to do this since Elevation, I know others have wanted to do this too. This is my attempt, if the fans decide they trust me with it, and if the fans decide they want to make this a reality, for us, for each other, then it will happen. If not, then it won't. But nothing happens unless we try right? So that is why I put my proposal on the table to do it.
    Again, thanks for asking what I am sure many have asked, I really appreciate that, and I hope i brought some clarity to the issue.
    Thanks mate, hope to see you on the road
  5. U2 fans, don't miss Dream Out Loud Day on February 12th. We are working with U2 Fans Tour Group and The Stronger Than Fear campaign to challenge U2 fans from around the world to help us make this film. We're having a day-long event as we continue our mission to fund the first ever film about the U2 fan community.. On that day, if you donate $10 or more you will have the option of sending us either a video message, or a voice message with a U2 song dedication. The video clips will be featured in a video that will air on Valentines Day (Feb. 14) and we will also be hosting Dream Out Loud Radio with Adrian Newman on U2 and Tribute bands on the Mixlr. As you tune in to Dream Out Loud Radio you'll be able to hear your dedications and the songs that you've requested.

U2 Fans Tour Group is also creating a Dream Out Loud section on their website, and we will be building a Dream Out Loud wall of honor by listing everyone that backs our film on a webpage there, to say thank you. That Dream Out loud page will also house all the interviews shot for the film once we reach our goal and go into production.

More info to come. Stay tuned and don't forget to like our page: https://www.facebook.com/dreamoutloudfilm
    Donate anytime at: www.dreamoutloudfilm.com
  6. Whatever happened to this project? Last blog entry dates from Jul 1st
  7. They took all the money, travelled around the world, saw many U2 shows and left it at that

(I wish I was joking, but happy to be proven otherwise)
  8. Who could've guessed.

Sad.
  9. On the website front page I see seven times the word "story" and then another three times the word "stories."

This film is the story of our extraordinary connection to the music, the band and each other. This is all of our story, and it is being made by and for all of us.
    But what exactly is this story I wonder. I mean, what is the synopsis?
    Something like: Hobbit is trusted with a dangerous ring and in order to prevent the ring from doing harm, the hobbit takes the ring to some kind of volcanic mountain. Along the way several obstacles had to be overcome, but there are always friends to help the hobbit. And, yes, there is a wizard too. Some, in fact...

So, I ask again, what is the story of the U2 fans?
    (A man pretends to make a film, but instead travels the world and meet people who have stories...?)
  10. Answer:
    Originally posted by dbinteract:Hi everyone,

Ive been a fan since 1981.. long time now! I am a filmmaker, and I want to make a film about us.. U2 Fans. I want to call it Dream Out Loud, Inside the City of Blinding Lights, and I need your help to do it. I want to make a really professional film that the fans deserve (...)
  11. But none of us have given money to him, right?

Right?