1. Yep. Inferior audio quality, but has a pretty picture.

Seems like backwards priorities to me--why not just collect high quality pictures or lithographs?

I know I'll never win that argument with collectors.

2. Originally posted by hoserama:So folks are buying vinyl recordings of bootlegs that are freely downloadable and recorded digitally?

Collectors just make no sense to me sometimes.

I’m not on your list
    I stopped buying bootlegs when music “became “ digital.bootlegs had importance in the 80s and some years in the 90s ( if I remember well - in the 90s in London I used to buy a lot of Sugarcubes bootlegs on tape) then it all changed
    This one I’m showing is ( I think) one of the most famous U2 bootlegs and essential ( imo )
  3. That makes sense.

I've had recordings of mine bootlegged on vinyl before, recordings that I released freely on the internet. That Japanese 2019 vinyl could possibly be my recording. So the bootleg is a pressing of audio freely accessible onto a physically inferior audio medium. Which just seems silly to me if the focus is the music.

But of course, it's not about the music for collectors. I just think it makes more sense to procure high quality pictures and lithographs if you want the shiny package, and forget about the vinyl record as an audio medium.
  4. Originally posted by Fly40:[image]
    [..]

I’m not on your list
    I stopped buying bootlegs when music “became “ digital.bootlegs had importance in the 80s and some years in the 90s ( if I remember well - in the 90s in London I used to buy a lot of Sugarcubes bootlegs on tape) then it all changed
    This one I’m showing is ( I think) one of the most famous U2 bootlegs and essential ( imo )

I recall you accusing me of feeding the black market (it's in the history of these pages somewhere) and here you are saying that you bought such things yourself. Pot calling the kettle black eh?

In the 11 years of being on this site I have never promoted the purchase of bootlegs. I have never bought bootleg vinyl and never would or will, I have always traded for it. And I have plenty of it too, but never parted with my money to line the pockets of the black market. Not guilty judge! Others can feed the black market, but not I.

It is clearly here for all to see how I feel about people bootleg vinyl LPs. I most certainly do not advocate it. I am well aware of the inferiority of quality and know exactly how they are pressed having seen many being made.

So as someone who has seriously collected U2 since the release of A Day Without Me way back in 1980, I may be in a minority by not advocating the purchase of bootleg vinyl when it was so prolific in the 80s/early 90s.

Hoserama is right and makes complete sense to me in the statement about quality and collecting. The myth of vinyl being the pinnacle of audio is rubbish. I collect vinyl because it is where I started out from as a 7 year old and my exposure to punk music. Simple as that. However, I have constantly moved with contemporary preferences as the audio media changed. Given the quality available in digital format then vinyl is purely nostalgia rolling out to a demographic.

As most of you know, my record collection is absolutely massive and I do enjoy playing my vinyl too, they are not there as ornaments like some collectors see theirs. It makes no sense to buy a vinyl record and not play it. Those who just buy it as format to look at really do miss the point of what it actually contains. Otherwise it serves no purpose.

As for quality, well there is nothing better than downloading a recording that has been freely given for us all to enjoy. I have done this in the past and it is a good thing to share what we have. The shame of it all is the bootleggers who rake in the cash for product that is inferior on the back of what some of us, like me, have given the U2 community over the years.

This is why I occasionally advocate to people not to buy bootleg vinyl as all you're getting is rubbish wrapped up in dressing that is the lure.
  5. Totally agree with hoserama and ELIZIUM.
    And I recognize that there was a time when there was no internet and fantastic sites like this in which bootlegs had another meaning. Now that it is shared a lot and with very good quality, the sale of vinyl has returned in an almost absurd way, I would dare to say, and they have even returned to cassettes. All this is just pure and hard consumerism and they know how to sell it of course.
  6. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:[..]

I recall you accusing me of feeding the black market (it's in the history of these pages somewhere) and here you are saying that you bought such things yourself. Pot calling the kettle black eh?

In the 11 years of being on this site I have never promoted the purchase of bootlegs. I have never bought bootleg vinyl and never would or will, I have always traded for it. And I have plenty of it too, but never parted with my money to line the pockets of the black market. Not guilty judge! Others can feed the black market, but not I.

It is clearly here for all to see how I feel about people bootleg vinyl LPs. I most certainly do not advocate it. I am well aware of the inferiority of quality and know exactly how they are pressed and onto what having seen many being made.

So as someone who has seriously collected U2 since the release of A Day Without Me way back in 1980, I may be in a minority by not advocating the purchase of bootleg vinyl.

Hoserama is right and makes complete sense in the statement about quality and collecting. The myth of vinyl being the pinnacle of audio is rubbish. I collect vinyl because it is where I started out from. Simple as that. As most of you know, my record collection is absolutely massive and I do enjoy playing my vinyl too, they are not there as ornaments like some collectors see theirs. It makes no sense to buy a vinyl record and not play it. Those who just buy it as format to look at really do miss the point of what it actually contains.

As for quality, well there is nothing better than downloading a recording that has been freely given for us all to enjoy. I have done this in the past and it is a good thing to share what we have. The shame of it all is the bootleggers who rake in the cash for product that is inferior on the back of what some of us have given the U2 community over the years.

This is why I occasionally advocate to people not to buy them as all you're getting is rubbish wrapped up in dressing that is the lure.
    I know what you mean but maybe I didn’t explain the right way what i think about unofficial stuff
    I can remember talking about this on this site and I will surely try to check where and when we talked about it
    Then I will be back with the right explanation
  7. Originally posted by Fly40:[..]
    I know what you mean but maybe I didn’t explain the right way what i think about unofficial stuff
    I can remember talking about this on this site and I will surely try to check where and when we talked about it
    Then I will be back with the right explanation
    You don't have to do that. It's all fine.

8. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:[image]
    To those of you who are buying bootleg vinyl please don't buy this at the extrtionate prices I have been told about from dealers I trade with.

I came across this on the Polish “eBay”, and after looking at the inside photos, I realized that the B&W images are the ones I uploaded and shared here a year ago. So we know these bootleggers are using this site for not only amazing audio recordings...

I never imagined that I’d find my photos being bootlegged! Taking pics is nowhere near the effort that the tapers/editors such as @hoserama are doing, but I wouldn’t mind at least a little credit

9. Can anyone identify this bootleg?
  10. Excellent! That's exactly what l am looking for