2017-05-12 - Vancouver
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 6
Videos: 1
  1. The one Rolling Stones connection I see is that it's their first tour without any song from their last three albums.
  2. I know you don't mean it in that sense, but let's not use insensitive slurs, please. Cheers.
  3. sorry, i didn't mean the term in the literal sense
  4. Originally posted by mdiggitydawg:[..]

Springsteen is 66 and plays for 4 hours 15 minutes, night after night. I love this band, but always struggle with the fact they play the same amount of songs every tour and for about the same 2 hours and 20 minutes or so.

Springsteen does not play 4 hours 15 minutes night after night. Only a few times. Usualy about 3 hours and 30 minutes. But more different setlists.
  5. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:So, I've got a lot of thoughts from last night's show...but first in my mind is...do the lyrics of the new song make anyone else think that the band is thinking about wrapping it up and calling it a career? I mean, this is how it ends...

"Sometimes
    I can’t believe my existence
    See myself on a distance
    I can’t get back inside
    Sometimes
    The air is so anxious
    All my tasks are so thankless
    And all of my innocence has died
    Sometimes
    I wake at four in the morning
    Where all the doubt is swarming
    And it covers me in fear
    Sometimes, sometimes, sometimes
    Sometimes
    Full of anger and grieving
    So far away from believing
    That any song will reappear
    Sometimes
    The end is not dawning
    It’s not coming
    The end is here
    Sometimes, sometimes
    I’m full of anger and grieving
    Sometimes
    The end isn’t coming
    It’s not coming
    The end is here
    Sometimes"

Just a thought...
    Have to say that crossed my mind earlier in the week when I heard "the end is here" bit.

I guess it depends on the context of the song, which we'll have to uncover, unless someone has some concrete info. It kind of sounds a little bit about his marriage but that's just first glance, I've really no idea at this point.

Though we always knew U2 won't last forever, and is a journey that has to end some day.

Personally I think good health etc willing, we'll still get SoE obviously and then hopefully SoA still within the next 5 years (ish), and then they might see how the land lies after that, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're lining up SoA to be their swansong album full of masterpieces. That interview with Bono talking about the Psalms thats just been published has Bono referencing SoA, though it was middle of 2015, so who knows, my feeling is its still there.

Personally I think they all enjoy it too much, to let it go anytime soon, plus too much unfinished business. But we'll see.

By the way, I do know going back to the 1990's the band has rough plans / outlines for several years ahead, obviously as time goes on it's a case of ever decreasing circles and all that making it harder to plan longer term, but I would imagine they have a vague roadmap for the next 5 years.
  6. Originally posted by Caledonia:[..]
    Have to say that crossed my mind earlier in the week when I heard "the end is here" bit.

I guess it depends on the context of the song, which we'll have to uncover, unless someone has some concrete info. It kind of sounds a little bit about his marriage but that's just first glance, I've really no idea at this point.

Though we always knew U2 won't last forever, and is a journey that has to end some day.

Personally I think good health etc willing, we'll still get SoE obviously and then hopefully SoA still within the next 5 years (ish), and then they might see how the land lies after that, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're lining up SoA to be their swansong album full of masterpieces. That interview with Bono talking about the Psalms thats just been published has Bono referencing SoA, though it was middle of 2015, so who knows, my feeling is its still there.

Personally I think they all enjoy it too much, to let it go anytime soon, plus too much unfinished business. But we'll see.

By the way, I do know going back to the 1990's the band has rough plans / outlines for several years ahead, obviously as time goes on it's a case of ever decreasing circles and all that making it harder to plan longer term, but I would imagine they have a vague roadmap for the next 5 years.
    PS just to make it clear I'm not saying "the end is near" bit sounding like his marriage - just other lines in the song.
  7. Originally posted by ferrari:[..]

Springsteen does not play 4 hours 15 minutes night after night. Only a few times. Usualy about 3 hours and 30 minutes. But more different setlists.
    i give the guy credit though is aging very very well, and a good performer
  8. Indeed. Next to U2 my nr 1. And off topic Springsteen plays all his songs.
  9. Another thing I noticed about last nights gig that I was hoping for was Bono didn't do many snippets and the songs from TJT were played close to the album version, Bono even sang all of ISHFWILF which makes the song 10 times better to me.
  10. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:So, I've got a lot of thoughts from last night's show...but first in my mind is...do the lyrics of the new song make anyone else think that the band is thinking about wrapping it up and calling it a career? I mean, this is how it ends...

"Sometimes
    I can’t believe my existence
    See myself on a distance
    I can’t get back inside
    Sometimes
    The air is so anxious
    All my tasks are so thankless
    And all of my innocence has died
    Sometimes
    I wake at four in the morning
    Where all the doubt is swarming
    And it covers me in fear
    Sometimes
    Full of anger and grieving
    Sometimes
    The end is not dawning
    It’s not coming
    The end is here
    Sometimes, sometimes
    I’m full of anger and grieving
    Sometimes
    The end isn’t coming
    It’s not coming
    The end is here
    Sometimes"

Just a thought...

Some from U2.com

"The night gave you a song,
    a light had been turned on,
    You walked out in the world
    like you belonged there
    As easy as a breeze,
    each heart was yours to tease
    Is it only me who sees there’s something wrong here
    It’s the little things that give you away"

It kind of sounds like this Bono writing this song about Bono from someone else's perspective, maybe Ali, maybe God, maybe Bono stepping outside of himself. That line "has the hunter now become the prey" is pretty curious. Fascinating anyway, will be interesting to read what others make of it.