1. Originally posted by DutchU2Fan:The only anniversary I have this year regarding U2, is seeing U23D in the cinema. What a great film! Should have been released on Blu Ray

Aaaand, I was in the belly of my mum when she went to see U2 in Rotterdam in 1997! She remembers that had a jump scare when the support act started
    Haha, nice!

I likewise am too young to have seen an original JT show...although I was born in 1987 the day after U2 had a show that saw Bono return to the stage without his arm in a sling! So it will be my 30th bday/30th anniversary of that occasion?
  2. Another coincidence with this JT anniversary tour is that the last show in Amsterdam will be my 30th U2show ever. And it's on July 30.

And my 29th show will be on July 29.
    And my 28th show was on November 28.
    And my 27th show was on November 27.
    It's true. It's ff-in weird!
  3. I was a freshman in college when the Joshua Tree was released. I was going to a small school in New Hampshire which was a big change from growing up near San Francisco. I had seen three Unforgettable Fire shows and the Amnesty International show in San Francisco/Daly City.

My room mate and I had to drive 30 miles to a town that had a record store so i could buy the Joshua Tree the day it cam out. That same room mate later told me we could get tickets to a JT show from someone in Springfield, MA for $100 each. That was a lot of money in 1987 especially for college kids. We drove to Springfield and got the tickets which turned out to be 10th row center. Great seats!

The day of the show (May 9, 1987) we left early because I wanted to tailgate and hang out with U2 fans in the parking lot. We got to the Springfield Civic Center and nobody was there. There was no event. The concert was at the Hartford Civic Center. Fortunately it was only a 45 minute drive from Springfield to Hartford.

We got to the Hartford Civic Center in plenty of time before the show started. Hung out in the lot and partied a bit and went to the show.

Great seats up close. The PA system was playing "Stand By Me" (the John Lennon version) and all of a sudden I see Larry walk up and sit at his drum kit. The rest of the band came out and they started playing Stand By Me with the house lights still up! They went right into "Pride" with the house lights still up. So cool. "Bad" and "Electric Co" were highlights for me. The JT songs were great. Streets opened the encore.

It was an amazing show and worth every penny of the $100. I saw another JT show later that fall when I was back in California (Oakland 11/14/87).

I'll be seeing Houston and Dallas this time around. A lot older, not nearly as skinny, but just as excited. Also spent a little bit less for those two GA tickets than I did for that first JT show I saw in Hartford. At least I know the two venues and won't drive to a wrong stadium.