1. Yes...the problem is that people don't play Punk bands like U2 on the radio anymore. #lostgenres !
  2. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Nothing they've done since Atomic Bomb has been radio material ,U2 like a lot of their contemporaries don't get played on the radio in fact anyone over 30 doesn't get played on mainstream stations but they really should have pushed Little things it's far superior to most of the songs they put out in the last 2 decades.
    Disagree... for example Get Out Of Your Own Way is cheesy enough for todays mainstream radios...
  3. Originally posted by Edi:Yes...the problem is that people don't play Punk bands like U2 on the radio anymore. #lostgenres !
  4. Okay, I like this song, but I don’t get why everyone talks about how it’s the best song they’ve done in decades and whatnot. It sounds like U2 on autopilot. They play some simple chords on a piano and then Edge busts out the most generic U2-sounding guitar riff ever. Effective? Yes. Powerful even. But nothing particularly new or surprising.

The lyrics are generally good, but Bono phones it in sometimes on this one: “oh la la la” comes to mind haha.

Now, I actually really enjoy this song and I sound overly negative in my post, but like, at the same time, it’s not the revolutionary new song people say it is.
  5. Maybe they play it tomorrow
  6. I just posted a video of this song on FB’s U2 is my life page.
  7. I just posted a video of this song on FB’s U2 is my life page.
  8. Originally posted by Faceman2000:Okay, I like this song, but I don’t get why everyone talks about how it’s the best song they’ve done in decades and whatnot. It sounds like U2 on autopilot. They play some simple chords on a piano and then Edge busts out the most generic U2-sounding guitar riff ever. Effective? Yes. Powerful even. But nothing particularly new or surprising.

The lyrics are generally good, but Bono phones it in sometimes on this one: “oh la la la” comes to mind haha.

Now, I actually really enjoy this song and I sound overly negative in my post, but like, at the same time, it’s not the revolutionary new song people say it is.
    Edge isn't Elton John or Eddie Van Halen LOL. But the piano and guitar, to me, fit the song. I'd like to hear a version with guitar only, no piano. I think the part starting with."sometimes" is quite powerful and lyrically good.
  9. To me this is one of U2's finest songs of the last couple of decades. It has those ethereal, aphotic qualities that U2 has done so many times in their career on a number of songs down the years but still manages to be fresh

I certainly think it comes as close to embodying the 'experience' that the band were trying to capture. The soft, padded keyboard that filters its way across the song that is then enraptured by Edge's ringing and cathartic guitar beautifully releases and exposes the anguished and deeply personal lyrics that are amongst Bono's best and most heartfelt in a long time. It softly scythes down any notion of ostentatiousness and displays of showmanship that many have accused Bono and U2 of having become predisposed to in recent years.

That's one of the aspects I love most about U2. Behind the glitzy stature and extravaganza, much of it spectacular some of it misplaced, lies a darkness and plenty of doubt that all of us can relate to. Hearing songs like this makes you believe even more that the grandiosity of their ambition and the way they present themselves to the world (Bono especially) is a cover to help mask that fragility.
  10. While I think the lyrics to this particular song are fantastic (not really any lyrical stumbles like a lot of their lyrics since 2000), it's the Spotify version that gives this one its power.

The more 'vulnerable' vocals especially towards the end where you hear Bono overpowered at points (in a good way), the backing vocals, the drums that sound live and the little bass rolls and fills that power this song - it hits that U2 wall and breaks through. Between this and The Book Of Your Heart, they're the two lyrical and musical powerhouses of the album.

Just wow. How the hell did this not finish the album as Bono said himself.
  11. It was criminal that this song wasn't played on the tour. Obviously it received a muted response on JT30 but nobody knew the song and hadn't heard it before to sing along with.
    The album version is better than the JT performances and is beautiful, that said I think the second half of the song could have been mixed better.
  12. I think we’ll hear it again. They really wanted to use 13 to close, which is understandable, and it seems strange for this to be anywhere other than right near the end, which I don’t think would’ve worked this tour. It’s such a good song, though, that I think this one will reappear to represent SOE in the future.