2017-06-09 - Manchester
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 20
Audio recordings: 0
  1. Maybe they actually wanted to tour. I don't get how people automatically presume live nation have dictated this.

They seem to be enjoying it either way.
  2. To put my view on the money making argument, I believe this tour was an idea the band liked the sound of first and foremost. Then with SOE maybe not being quite ready this was a great way to delay it without being quiet for another 12 months. Finally when the decision was made final then yes making the tour profitable would have been one of the priorities, why? Because touring is part of there job and one of the key parts of any job is making money. The band have put the work into rehearsing songs from the past and allowing the likes of myself to see at least 5 songs that I may never have seen otherwise. They've got huge screens and a cool stage design wit the tree that definitely wouldn't have come cheap as certainly will cut profit margins so whilst making money is part of it there giving us something back. I don't really care the reasons why though I'm just looking forward to seeing them play live and at a very reasonable price compared to most artists espcecially when you consider the tour costs in comparison to other artists.
  3. Also remember they probably employ around 200 people full time who are on the payroll, if they aren't touring or releasing albums they would be paying these guys out of their own pockets
  4. Originally posted by raynman009:[..]
    I'm sure you bought a cheap ticket. Where is your seat? How much was a seat halfway close to the stage? Probably 5 times that much.

Yeah it's top tier rear of stade de France but even so it should be decent for the screens etc .
  5. That Under The Bridge snippet is amazing!
  6. I've only posted it once!
  7. Either way, this discussion over whether the band is just touring the JT to make money...really? Are people really that cynical? Why can't we BOTH realistically accept that maybe hitting some writer's block with SOE has resulted in this tour AND that they genuinely love to tour...IF they are excited about not just playing the "hits," but crafting a narrative and creating an experience to go along with the songs? I love that they are creative and forward-thinking enough that even when touring behind the 30th anniversary of a classic album, they are playing the full thing through every night and at least attempting with the design and political message of the whole show to make it accessible and relevant for 2017.

As other noted above, a much easier way to just "make money" would have been to do arena residencies in multiple cities like I & E again and just play the warhorses the whole time. They could have made a killing just doing that, but I'm glad they are still swinging big even if at least partially it was to fulfill a contract and to bide more time for SOE.

And with that, I can't wait to see them again in Cleveland.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:To put my view on the money making argument, I believe this tour was an idea the band liked the sound of first and foremost. Then with SOE maybe not being quite ready this was a great way to delay it without being quiet for another 12 months. Finally when the decision was made final then yes making the tour profitable would have been one of the priorities, why? Because touring is part of there job and one of the key parts of any job is making money. The band have put the work into rehearsing songs from the past and allowing the likes of myself to see at least 5 songs that I may never have seen otherwise. They've got huge screens and a cool stage design wit the tree that definitely wouldn't have come cheap as certainly will cut profit margins so whilst making money is part of it there giving us something back. I don't really care the reasons why though I'm just looking forward to seeing them play live and at a very reasonable price compared to most artists espcecially when you consider the tour costs in comparison to other artists.
    Spot on. I do believe that 12 year $120M contract with Live Nation had a big influence on this decision and with the contract ending in 2020 or so they could not take another year off. Like all major bands, U2 is a business not a charity - and touring makes money. But regardless of what spurred the tour in true U2 fashion they are not just phoning it in, but are delivering a great U2 concert experience and it would seem enjoying the tour as well. The 2 shows I've seen exceeded my expectations, so much so that I'm off to #3 soon.