1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think you’re talking nonsense then, there was absolutely nothing wrong with his vocal delivery on NYD in Saitama. He went for it during the ‘say it’s true’ line. The ‘we can be one’ bit was delivered really well too.
    I think "nonsense" is a bit dirty word.... The impression you get from someone singing is very subjective....
    Singing in a higher key usally makes it sound more powerful, but at some point when you start to sing in lower keys it sound less powerful and in the "say its true" line the line for making it sound less powerful in when he sings it like that.
    But that just me....
  2. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]
    If I remember right he sang the "Choosen few" first time in years a few times on 360 and in 2015.

When it comes to the "delivery" and " higest note"; on Bad for an example " Wide Awake" and "Say Its True" from 360 tour was pure belting and clean.
    I prefer listen to notes without straining and overuse(JT/LT tour).
    I get all this and it's very intruiging, but you seem to be sailing past my (and maybe others) point in the discussion.

I think he is doing the best that he can at the moment, and pretty sure he's had some singing lessons last couple of years. And there's always gonna be a few exceptional nights on any tour where he gives 25% extra
  3. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]
    I think "nonsense" is a bit dirty word.... The impression you get from someone singing is very subjective....
    Singing in a higher key usally makes it sound more powerful, but at some point when you start to sing in lower keys it sound less powerful and in the "say its true" line the line for making it sound less powerful in when he sings it like that.
    But that just me....
    Well how you can listen to that performance of NYD from Saitama and come to the conclusion that there is very little effort and that he wasn’t belting out the note I think doesn’t make any sense. I don’t think that’s a difference of opinion I think you’re absolutely wrong I’m afraid. I don’t disagree that making something too low can take away the power of the delivery but in this case I absolutely do disagree because it isn’t too low it’s just a little lower. Too low would mean Bono not having to put enough effort which isn’t the case here. Actually the only time recently I thought songs sounded too low was on the opening night of 2019 and it was specifically the lower notes in the songs I thought became almost too difficult for Bono to sing but he sorted that out as the tour went on thankfully. The high notes weren’t a problem even on that night.

4. Nope, the first one from 2015 is exactly the same high C as the one below from 1984. So Bad and NYD only dropped a half tone ever in their Live Career, which isn't "bad" for their age I'd say..

5. It is.. More shrieking than actually singing.

As much as I'd want it to happen again, the last time easily he sang high C's with proper "confidence" and control were during Lovetown.

After that it was gone, and never (consistently) returned...
  6. Yeah, it is strained but so is the original studio version also
    My point was that even of Popmart was a down period in his vocal performence he still had power to hit those high notes.
    But lets bot forget that he also strained alot on JT, LT and ZooTv when trying to hit high notes.
    Thats why it was so amazing in 2005 to 2011 when he was so much older he manage to hit those high notes without straining his voice.
    Wide Awake note is a good example on that, on JT/LT/ZooTv he strained his voice alot to hit that note and often failed.

I think that Bono have very difficult to hit the C# without straining, but in C he can sound more clean.
    Listen to Pittsburgh 2011, Japan 2006, Seattle 2005.... From 2005 to 2011 he hit the C very easy and clean without strainging.
  7. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    It is.. More shrieking than actually singing.

As much as I'd want it to happen again, the last time easily he sang high C's with proper "confidence" and control were during Lovetown.

After that it was gone, and never (consistently) returned...
    Did he ever hit the high C clean on LT?
  8. Originally posted by melon51:[..]

Nope, the first one from 2015 is exactly the same high C as the one below from 1984. So Bad and NYD only dropped a half tone ever in their Live Career, which isn't "bad" for their age I'd say..

[YouTube Video]
    Thanks!
  9. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I get all this and it's very intruiging, but you seem to be sailing past my (and maybe others) point in the discussion.

I think he is doing the best that he can at the moment, and pretty sure he's had some singing lessons last couple of years. And there's always gonna be a few exceptional nights on any tour where he gives 25% extra
    I still get the impression that he still manage to sing it higher than he does now due to that he does other things with more power in other songs.
    Some of the snippets he did durning Bad this tour and 2017 had more "energy and power"....
    I think that the stamina is the problem... He sometimes seems out out breath....
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Well how you can listen to that performance of NYD from Saitama and come to the conclusion that there is very little effort and that he wasn’t belting out the note I think doesn’t make any sense. I don’t think that’s a difference of opinion I think you’re absolutely wrong I’m afraid. I don’t disagree that making something too low can take away the power of the delivery but in this case I absolutely do disagree because it isn’t too low it’s just a little lower. Too low would mean Bono not having to put enough effort which isn’t the case here. Actually the only time recently I thought songs sounded too low was on the opening night of 2019 and it was specifically the lower notes in the songs I thought became almost too difficult for Bono to sing but he sorted that out as the tour went on thankfully. The high notes weren’t a problem even on that night.
    Not only by the way he sound, I think his body langauge and face expressions show that he put less effort in it.