1. There's a good HQ version of the Night and Day video om vimeo by the way.. Much better than the crappy YT version, unless you know a good one
  2. Random but why not!

Go to 3:34 for a falsetto/scream rendition of an early version of the "Anytime you're only a kiss away" verse from Wire:

3. That period is very very fascinating, it it like suddenly out of nowhere in 1984 he gained more strength and power...
    He got a more light sound in his upper register.

Saddly it only was there between 1984-1986.
  4. The "say its true" part on these

5. I think this version of Bad is one of the most underrated versions of the song, when people talk about their favorite 80s version often the R&H and Rotterdam 1990 comes up. But the Wide Awakes on those are strained....

In 1986 he combined strenght and then switched over to clean full open voice and hit the notes without straining/screaming.
    He made it soound so easy....

6. To me this version is far better than the R&H version.
  7. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]
    That period is very very fascinating, it it like suddenly out of nowhere in 1984 he gained more strength and power...
    He got a more light sound in his upper register.

Saddly it only was there between 1984-1986.
    Yes. I don't know if he got some singing lessons or what happened but the change was astonishing. 1985 and 1986 truly is Bono's vocal peak!
  8. The Edge has a great voice too!
  9. Listening to some UF tour stuff actually the title track and Bono’s voice is really strong. For the original JT tour he never sounded smooth on that song, gave it a right go and could hit the notes but not without sort of groaning to get it out. I used to listen to one of the barrowlands shows from TUF tour obviously been too long since I’ve last heard it because I forgot how great bono sounded. Actaully when I listen more closely there’s some hints of the groaning type singing starting to appear but it’s more limited than it became on TJT tour.
  10. Haha, great find! That's some proper vocal calisthenics there
  11. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes. I don't know if he got some singing lessons or what happened but the change was astonishing. 1985 and 1986 truly is Bono's vocal peak!
    I'd say from a singing range and technique perspective that was his peak indeed. Great versions that Peterrrr posted. In 85-86 he still had control over clean singing, and could growl if he wanted to. Not sure of lessons, think it was just timing..

Then on the 87 JT tour I think he wrecked it. That's the "kermit" period where all the richness was gone, and it was just...tight in some way.

Then on Lovetown he (often) sounded better again, but high notes were all screams/growls, clean part had gone. And if we're honest.. on Lovetown he had a lot of effects on his voice that make it sound more spectacular than it maybe was.. Just think about those Bad or Watchtower versions, they almost double his voice with effects/echo's etc.

After LT the screaming was out as well, so he was left with a different Toolbox to work with Which he did fine I think. But boy did he age (in all respects) in just 5 years between 86 and 91..
  12. Yes to everything Spot-on analysis as usual.

I'm wondering where that Wire early mix came from - I don't recall hearing it in the TUF remaster/reissue from a few years back. It'd be great to have more of this obscure recordings to see what he was capable of.

Did we eventually agree that the screametto (or falscream) in Wire was his highest chest note ever?