1. Heartland has the same sound indeed. I think I mean the period where he deliberately used the "fat lady" falsetto as a strentgh. Heartland was an early example, but he used it a lot in the 91-95 period (Blue Room, Lemon, Fly etc).

I do remember a remix of God will send his angels though where he used it as well though,, so I might be off a bit
  2. This one has the "fat lady" voice though, and is from "97, from 4:40 onwards:

3. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    yes, I agree with all of that, just not that he suddenly lost it.. it already sounded different in '93 from '92..

The difference on his normal voice is very different also when it comes to 92 vs 93.
  4. Hm. I felt that was more subtle than other periods.. What made you feel the difference most?
  5. Maybe wrong word to use by me: "voice diffrent" , but less powerfull.
    In 1993 in started to be more lazy in the voice, used even more falsetto on notes. He had more energy and belting was more usally in 1992.
    NYD versions 92 vs 93 is a good example

But I would concider AB vs Zoorpa as the bigger diffrence, on Zooropa you can hear the 95 to 97 voice sound coming in on tracks like Dirty Day, First Time, SDABTO....
  6. Speaking of Zoo/Popmart reminiscences... Listen to 3:44-3:56. It's Macphisto singing right there, not Bono. The accent, the intonation, the attitude. He jumped 4 years back, and people still say time machines don't exist......

7. Originally posted by LikeASong:Speaking of Zoo/Popmart reminiscences... Listen to 3:44-3:56. It's Macphisto singing right there, not Bono. The accent, the intonation, the attitude. He jumped 4 years back, and people still say time machines don't exist......

[YouTube Video]
    It is definitely reminding of Mcphisto, but I'm not really hearing the "posh english" accent.. Maybe it's his american twin brother?
  8. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    It is definitely reminding of Mcphisto, but I'm not really hearing the "posh english" accent.. Maybe it's his american twin brother?
    Haha yeah, you're right, the British preppy accent isn't quite there, but I was "listening through the motions" without paying too much attention and that bit definitely caught my ear, I had to rewind and listen again. I love Macphisto so muuuuuch.
  9. I just came across this version of "Bad" from Washington Outside Broadcast '92..
    Although it's an excellent '92 version of Bad it weren't the vocals that triggered me the most.

Look at the part from 1:00:30 in the video below. That's an excellent example of bono "pushing Larry" as it was once said. A lot of things were going wrong before in that concert, and Edge has his ear monitors out by this point.. And Bono shouts "cymbals!"to Larry, and what happens next must be this effect of the whole band accelerating and feeding off each other.. Found it quite remarkable to watch actually:

10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Haha yeah, you're right, the British preppy accent isn't quite there, but I was "listening through the motions" without paying too much attention and that bit definitely caught my ear, I had to rewind and listen again. I love Macphisto so muuuuuch.
    He has a thing with british accents I think.. In the "making of Electrical Storm" he tries various ones, including Jagger and "Jonathan Woss" talking about "Lawwy"
  11. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    He has a thing with british accents I think.. In the "making of Electrical Storm" he tries various ones, including Jagger and "Jonathan Woss" talking about "Lawwy"
    And when it comes to accents and sound, on ZooTV he had this very different Bowie-ish sound/accents, this track is a good exampel of it:
  12. Im glad I was at this show, he nailed the notes on this one

The SBS>RWW>UTEOTW was one of the best perfomnces I have seen from them both live and on video.