1. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    That was a terrible move, from a PR standpoint. It completely destroyed their credibility as a band who cares about social issues, charity, etc. Being Irish has always been a huge part of their identity. People have more or less forgotten about the SOI "Scandal", it'll still come up occasionally. But this issue, people are gonna remember. Every comments section is littered people comments about this.

They should've never done this, and they should've just released SOI the old fashioned way. They'd have a much better reputation if they had.
    wasn't that because they changed the law in Ireland and they suddenly had to pay a lot more taxes than they used to? Maybe not the best PR indeed, but apart from that it's a logical move. Ireland more or less forced them out, most of the money is earned outside of Ireland so I don't see the problem why not let them tax outside of Ireland as well. Ireland has no direct rights to that money. You can hardly call this tax evasion.
  2. Originally posted by Ricku2:[..]
    wasn't that because they changed the law in Ireland and they suddenly had to pay a lot more taxes than they used to? Maybe not the best PR indeed, but apart from that it's a logical move. Ireland more or less forced them out, most of the money is earned outside of Ireland so I don't see the problem why not let them tax outside of Ireland as well. Ireland has no direct rights to that money. You can hardly call this tax evasion.
    It's avoidance rather than evasion, no?

You don't have to be a "hater" to be critical, they're not infallible.

I could decide to talk more about this but then it would become political.
  3. If it wasn't about how much tax they don't pay in Ireland it would be something else,I read in the journal.ie about U2 making a 10 million donation to help buy PPE equipment for the Irish Health service and some of the comments from the pond life were "Its a tax write off" "Its just a publicity stunt" "Is there no end to him grooming his ego, What about your taxes Bono?" the last comment was the top liked they just can't win, big is bad especially in Ireland and if your super rich you are public enemy number 1 regardless of what you do to help others.
  4. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:[..]

I guess it's "placement" even more than avoidance/evasion? They operate globally and pay their business taxes in Ireland. We pay a shitload of taxes in Holland, but apparently music royalties taxes are low, that's why U2/Stones are based in Amsterdam for that part.

But who knows of royalties are 3% or 70% of their income?
  5. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:[..]

surely everybody should be critical.. but there's many sides to this story and haters only see one thing.. everyone uses the rules to lower their taxes as much as they can.. U2 is doing exactly the same.. Ireland got greedy while in the meanwhile they are/were a tax haven for other companies.. they basically forced U2 out while attracting other big companies. U2 would be very silly for accepting this kind of behaviour.
  6. I think with a slight reworking Stand Up Comedy would fit on Pop.

With a slight reworking and a duet with a contemporary artist a la what Elton John is doing The Playboy Mansion could be a hit in 2023.
  7. I might have said this before in this same thread but I really like Stand Up Comedy
  8. +1

Never understood,or get,the vitriol that song gets.I think it’s a great tune.Other people have their opinions,I have mine.Simples.
  9. SUC is easily on my top 3 from NLOTH
  10. I was surprised it never appeared live. I thought it would have fit in perfectly in the 360 shows.
  11. SUC is a cracking tune it sounds like Led Zeppelin meets Chilli Peppers and it has one of Edge's best guitar 🎸 solo's .