1. I'm kinda puzzled myself as well. But let's try to sort this thing out.

A few things are clear:

1) There is this official Island promo Zoo Radio Transmit (PRCD 6753-2) - this has the Slow Dancing live version and is not to be mistaken for the Outside Broadcast bootleg (see above).

2) By the end of 1992 a ZOO TV special called "Philips DCC Presents: ZOO TV" was broadcasted to 37 countries:

Press Release, PRNewswire (1992-11-05)
    To support the introduction of its new Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) music system, Philips, the inventor of the compact disc and the music cassette, is the exclusive sponsor of ZOO TV, a multimedia television event featuring one of the world’s greatest rock bands, U2. The program will be broadcast on the FOX network on November 29, and on MTV on December 16.

Philips DCC Presents: ZOO TV is an hour-long television special featuring performance highlights from U2’s two-year, worldwide “Outside Broadcast” stadium tour. The television special will incorporate songs from many of U2’s recordings, including their current multi-million selling album, Achtung Baby, which will be released on DCC this month as the DCC music system is being introduced in the U.S., Europe and Japan.

The program will air on November 28 in countries throughout Europe on major broadcast networks including: Channel 4 in the United Kingdom; RAI UNO in Italy; RTVE in Spain; France 2; Veronica in the Netherlands; Premiere in Germany and TV 1000 in Scandinavia.
    More info here: http://www.u2songs.com/news/philips_dcc_presents_u2_broadcast_on_fox_tv

- I have an audio recording of this broadcast and it is different than the Outside Broadcast bootleg. I haven't yet located elsewhere on u2start - and at this point I don't know where to put it either, but you can download it here: PHILIPS DCC presents: ZOO TV.
    Note: this was a TV broadcast, but it mat have been simul-casted (or what did they call it?) on radio - still quite common in the early 90-ies.

This PHILIPS DCC special should be the same as on the Achtung Baby "Uber Deluxe" as Anam says it matches the Channel 4 broadcast, but this I can not check.

What I also don't know is whether the Outside Broadcast bootleg was, at some point, actually been radio broadcasted, but, to be honest, I don't think this was the case.
    We know that it was designed as a radio show but then this idea was dismissed. However, the master tape was passed on to someone at the BBC and so it ended up on a bootleg...

So now to Anan's question:

Originally posted by Anam:[...] The bootleg then is of what was broadcast on 2FM, Radio One etc? My Italian silver boot is identical to the 2FM broadcast, Fanning wittering away aside. This broadcast version is what has been updated to Houston (thanks BigGirl!) I think. It was never an official promo.
    a) Indeed, it was never an official promo.
    b) I don't think your Italian bootleg is the same as the "2FM, Radio One broadcast," but then what info is there exactly on the these radio broadcasts? In fact I don't have any info on radio broadcasts. Perhaps someone can shed a light on this.

I personally have an audio cassette (tape) recording from the Dutch "Radio Veronica" that is dated "November 27, 1992 - 24:00 - 02:00" and that says "Zoo Radio." Unfortunately I don't have a working cassette player anymore, but I suspect that is a (stereo) simulcast of the "PHILIPS DCC presents: ZOO TV" broadcast. TV broadcasts were still mostly in mono, so often radio stations broadcasted simultaneously in stereo on the radio.

In sum: there are (at least) three different versions that might be confused with one another,
    1- The official Island promo (with Slow Dancing - live)
    2- The bootleg Outside Broadcast with recordings from 1992-10-14 Houston
    3 -The PHILIPS DCC presents: ZOO TV (broadcasted to 37 different countries)

A possible 4th may be the RTÈ version which had When Love Comes to Town

PS: My mistake is that I tagged the 1992-10-14 Houston Outside Broadcast "bootleg" with the term "Radio show" (although it was designed as a radio show, I don't think it was actually been broadcasted as such).
  2. I have cassettes of both the 2FM and Radio One broadcasts of 'Zoo Radio', 27th November 1992 and can confirm that they are identical to the Outside Broadcast bootleg I have on CD.

The Island promo was never broadcast despite apparently being designed for that purpose.

The Channel 4 TV Special - broadcast the same week - I have on VHS, as well as the RTE version. I also have a shorter version from the US broadcast on MTV. The Channel 4 version identical to the one the Uber Deluxe but the RTE version is longer with When Love Comes to Town.

I taped all these myself if they are of any use to chroniclers.
  3. And there's another one dated 26th november.but it's not the same,i think,found on Guitar101 guitar forum
    And it should be the italian Version
    @Anam : Are you italian?you re talking about this oe?
  4. *one
  5. No Fly40, I'm from Cork, the Venice of the North ?

The broadcast version of Zoo Radio was the same all over Europe. My Italian silver boot CD is a pristine version, that may have come from the radio, but there are no announcers etc. The listing is here:

Interview
    Until the End of the World / Zoo Radio
    Even Better Than the Real Thing / Zoo Radio
    Mysterious Ways / Zoo Radio on Madonna
    The Fly / The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy Interview
    One / Zoo Radio
    Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World / U2 on Lou Reed
    Satellite of Love / Zoo Radio
    Public Enemy Interview
    Bullet the Blue Sky / Zoo Radio
    Where the Streets Have No Name / U2 on Elvis
    Running to Stand Still / Zoo Radio
    Can't Help Falling in Love With You

The live tracks are from Dallas, Tempe, New York and Toronto. There are no tracks on the broadcast version from Houston.

All clear in my head now!
  6. Originally posted by Anam:I have cassettes of both the 2FM and Radio One broadcasts of 'Zoo Radio', 27th November 1992 and can confirm that they are identical to the Outside Broadcast bootleg I have on CD.

The Island promo was never broadcast despite apparently being designed for that purpose.

The Channel 4 TV Special - broadcast the same week - I have on VHS, as well as the RTE version. I also have a shorter version from the US broadcast on MTV. The Channel 4 version identical to the one the Uber Deluxe but the RTE version is longer with When Love Comes to Town.

I taped all these myself if they are of any use to chroniclers.
    OK, that is certainly useful information!

But if the Outside Broadcast "bootleg" was actually radio broadcasted, then the radio stations must have had a so-called transcription tape or transcription cd with that entire radio show on it, otherwise it couldn't be broadcasted. That's our next mystery!
  7. I'll check my mp3 copy tonight to see which version I have....

The files I downloaded are (with length):
    01 - Intro.mp3 (00:04:07)
    02 - Part 1.mp3 (00:20:08)
    03 - Part 2.mp3 (00:15:40)
    04 - Part 3.mp3 (00:17:09)
    05 - Promo.mp3 (00:00:34)

These seem to tie up with the official release Zoo-Radio-Transmit
  8. To finally clarify, there are three items here:

1. Zoo Radio: the broadcast version, presented by BP Fallon and featuring live Zoo TV tracks from Tempe, Dallas, New York and Toronto. Aired on BBC Radio 1, 2FM and all over Europe, November 1992. The broadcast subsequently became a bootleg known as Outside Broadcast, among other things.

2. Zoo Radio Transmit: An Island records promo, with some of the same content as 1. above, but just two U2 live tracks- Two Shots... & Slow Dancing- neither of which are on 1. above. This promo was never broadcast and costs a lot of money these days. Certain tracks, especially the two U2 tracks, were found on 'U2 Rare Trax' cassette bootlegs in tbe 90s.

3. The Zoo TV Special, sponsored by Phillips DCC. This was broadcast in various versions across the world in November 1992. A version is on the Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe set, and Until the End of the World is on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD. The RTE version has When Love Comes to Town and the whole interview with Pat Kenny, on whose show they appear at the end.
  9. Originally posted by Anam:No Fly40, I'm from Cork, the Venice of the North ?

The broadcast version of Zoo Radio was the same all over Europe.[...]

The live tracks are from Dallas, Tempe, New York and Toronto. There are no tracks on the broadcast version from Houston.

All clear in my head now!
    The TV-broadcast (PHILIPS DCC presents: ZOO TV) are said to be recordings from those dates
    I will do an A/B comparison of the Houston audience recording with the Outside Broadcast bootleg.

...to be continued
  10. Originally posted by Anam:To finally clarify, there are three items here:

1. Zoo Radio: the broadcast version, presented by BP Fallon and featuring live Zoo TV tracks from Tempe, Dallas, New York and Toronto. Aired on BBC Radio 1, 2FM and all over Europe, November 1992. The broadcast subsequently became a bootleg known as Outside Broadcast, among other things.

2. Zoo Radio Transmit: An Island records promo, with some of the same content as 1. above, but just two U2 live tracks- Two Shots... & Slow Dancing- neither of which are on 1. above. This promo was never broadcast and costs a lot of money these days. Certain tracks, especially the two U2 tracks, were found on 'U2 Rare Trax' cassette bootlegs in tbe 90s.

3. The Zoo TV Special, sponsored by Phillips DCC. This was broadcast in various versions across the world in November 1992. A version is on the Achtung Baby Uber Deluxe set, and Until the End of the World is on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD. The RTE version has When Love Comes to Town and the whole interview with Pat Kenny, on whose show they appear at the end.
    2 & 3 : yes

But 1. still leaves the question of how those radio stations were able to broadcast that radio show (did they have a so-called transcript disc, or a "radio-promo," or a tape? They MUST have had something!)

-+ I will first check with the audience recordings to see if your claim is right that the recordings are from various locations, because it actually contradicts many sources...
  11. Wikipedia cites BP Fallon: 'A Zoo Radio special included live selections from 1992 shows from Toronto, Dallas, Tempe, and New York City.[51]'

But it's best to check. (BP Fallon is a bit mad.)

As for the broadcast, it may have been beamed live from a single source. It was definitely aired at exactly the same time in the UK and Ireland. In that case it would be like any live broadcast and therefore not have a CD.