1. Listen for the 20th time and I actually am starting to, not like it...
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

In terms of song quality and personal preference I can't say I disagree much

But what about terms of mass outreach and popularity? I'd say it's more like:

1 - With Or Without You
    2 - Vertigo
    3 - The Fly
    4 - Beautiful Day
    5 - Desire
    6 - Discothèque
    7 - The Miracle
    8 - NLOTH
    9 - Get On Your Boots
    X - The Blackout (still to be seen - but it already looks better than 9 and 8 for sure).

As a guy who was in his prime when it was released, I have to say initial reception to The Fly was "WTF", and then it grew on people. And same for "Discotheque". And then GOYB was hated... by all but me, I think.

So, long story short... 1st singles since TJT (maybe with the exception of BD) have taken a minute to grow on common folk. So... wait for the proper version of Blackout before ye judge...
  3. Originally posted by I_LIKE_U2:Not to keep harping on the crowd noise, but it really does annoy me that the crowd is more present in this version of this song than in any of the band's actual live releases. That's always been one of my biggest pet peeves about U2's (and most other bands, really) live releases. The crowd noise is completely eliminated from the mix except for between songs or if Bono happens to say something to the audience. I don't get why bands want to paint the picture that the crowd wasn't clapping, cheering, singing along etc. in their live dvds. Just thinking of the image of all those people at Slane Castle jumping up and down but being completely silent during streets still bugs me...

Read my previous replies. Intentional to avoid downloading. I'll take the crowd noise over an annoying beep sound every 30 seconds...
  4. Originally posted by kobrien:[..]

I would suggest you both read Walk On The spiritual journey of U2. Very eye opening. Not written by the band but someone interpreting their music.

The Psalms are Bono's favorite section of the Bible. David wrote them.

He opens the song talking about dinosaurs and the meteor. He then goes on to talk about doubt and fear -> both are the opposite of faith. He even says its clear who you are will appear - I think he is referring to Christ and the Acts of Revelation (our darkest times).

The beauty of every song U2 writes is they are ambiguous on purpose. You can interpret them any way you like. I may be completely wrong - it's just only one interpretation. The band truly knows.

FWIW, I am no Biblical expert. I just googled Fred, Ned, Zack, and Jack and added in the Bible to each one.

I've told people for years U2 is the biggest Christian rock band no one has ever heard of... Walk On is a great book, and Bono knows the Bible perhaps better than any...

You all should know the lyrics are littered with references...

"The beauty of every song U2 writes is they are ambiguous on purpose"

Exactly. Bono is a master at this. One proves it.
  5. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]

I disagree. Relevant is relevant. I hate Taylor Seift and am working to make sure my young niece doesn't like her (I think Beyoncé is a way better artist and role model but I digress) but you can't deny that the girl and her team have latched on to the zeitgeist of the current popular culture.

I agree with relevant is relevant, but I respectfully disagree with working to make your niece not like something. Sorry... no offense.
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

I agree with relevant is relevant, but I respectfully disagree with working to make your niece not like something. Sorry... no offense.
    I told her it was ok to like the songs but it was not ok to be a mean person like Taylor Swift who throws people under buses, plays the victim and acts like a catty Mean Girl.

The world needs kindness.
  7. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

I've told people for years U2 is the biggest Christian rock band no one has ever heard of... Walk On is a great book, and Bono knows the Bible perhaps better than any...

You all should know the lyrics are littered with references...

"The beauty of every song U2 writes is they are ambiguous on purpose"

Exactly. Bono is a master at this. One proves it.
    I agree - and this is why I'm bugged by a criticism of The Blackout I've seen on some sites, basically saying 'it's not political enough! Bleh! It should be exactly comparable to Bullet the Blue Sky!' Which... Is stupid...

I don't think the band have really said anything regarding what The Blackout is actually ABOUT, but while it's hard to deny there's not some political slant to it (democracy is flat on it's back, Jack) it's almost as though some reviewers have latched onto that one bit an decided that's what the whole song should be... Whereas I think U2's thematic squishiness is one of their best traits! The Blackout could be about politics, natural disaster, personal turmoil, all, none... And sure, Bullet might be political, but political HOW? It's been used for Reagan and Central America, gun control, Trump, general anti-war sentiment, Nazism, and corporate greed.

I guess I'm just a bit tired of U2 being constantly criticised for their content. Just because they HAVE BEEN the biggest activist band ever doesn't mean they ALWAYS HAVE TO BE. And, a lot of their oh-so-political classics people are often so keen to unfavourably compare their newer works to are often pretty nebulous themselves...

Gosh, I just like the way just about all their stuff FEELS, The Blackout very much included. Maybe it's not so sophisticated, but hey, my favourite band just dropped a new song, it's groovy and I dig it. I'm alright with that, at least.
  8. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    I told her it was ok to like the songs but it was not ok to be a mean person like Taylor Swift who throws people under buses, plays the victim and acts like a catty Mean Girl.

The world needs kindness.
    The world does need kindness.

If you're referring to the recent court case, one might also teach a young girl to speak out and stand up. I think that dude threw himself under a bus...