1. It's faith juxtaposed against science, natural disasters, politics, and natural wonders (the recent eclipse for example) - that appears to be the theme of the song. It's the theme of Blake's book on which the last 2 albums are based. What causes us to lose our innocence. Don't let the bastards grind you down.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I think he means these singles (just like NLOTH's ones) went down the general audience without a/much fuss, unlike Vertigo and their previous hits. That's what I've been saying, that The Blackout -whether it's a better or worse song- has the potential to be a bigger hit than anything else since 2005.
    thus the crystal ballroom should have been the first single from SOI. it would have been big enough, it has that maroon five, get lucky catchy pop feel too it. they band are just clowns
  3. Originally posted by dylbagz:[..]
    thus the crystal ballroom should have been the first single from SOI. it would have been big enough, it has that maroon five, get lucky catchy pop feel too it. they band are just clowns
    Yes. Both The Crystal Ballroom and Volcano would have been better hits than The Miracle I reckon. TCB is groovier and would have appealed to a wider audience, and Volcano is a more classic U2 sounding thing than The Miracle, which actually fell in the middle of nowhere.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes. Both The Crystal Ballroom and Volcano would have been better hits than The Miracle I reckon. TCB is groovier and would have appealed to a wider audience, and Volcano is a more classic U2 sounding thing than The Miracle, which actually fell in the middle of nowhere.
    +1

5. 15 tracks down to 12. This drives me nuts. Just release all 15. You're gonna make it a 2-LP vinyl release and 15 songs will fit on one CD anyway... If it were trying to get 20 songs down to 12, I get... But 15 - just do it.

Oh wait... The 3 that get cut are on the 2-CD deluxe edition. I forgot. My bad
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

15 tracks down to 12. This drives me nuts. Just release all 15. You're gonna make it a 2-LP vinyl release and 15 songs will fit on one CD anyway... If it were trying to get 20 songs down to 12, I get... But 15 - just do it.

Oh wait... The 3 that get cut are on the 2-CD deluxe edition. I forgot. My bad
    Haha. Probably be the same as SOI, the "weaker" tracks will be on CD 2.
  7. I don't know that the bonus tracks from SOI were 'weaker' - Edge mention Crystal Ballroom as 'one of their best', just that they didn't feel right on the album. I'm inclined to agree.
  8. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    I don't know that the bonus tracks from SOI were 'weaker' - Edge mention Crystal Ballroom as 'one of their best', just that they didn't feel right on the album. I'm inclined to agree.
    I've always had a feeling they're willing to slightly sacrifice quality for songs to fit the narrative more. Obviously the songs that do make the cut still need to be considered good in there minds though.
  9. Why all the sudden did they tease a song that was supposed to be released as a single in November?

Timing:
    Statues being torn down in America, Hurricane Harvey, the eclipse, our current political climate (big mouth being DT and others).

As they have said, modern music has gotten away from addressing what's going on in the world. This was a perfect storm opportunity that they could not have passed up. I suspect that the statues line was added this summer
  10. Originally posted by kobrien:Why all the sudden did they tease a song that was supposed to be released as a single in November?

Timing:
    Statues being torn down in America, Hurricane Harvey, the eclipse, our current political climate (big mouth being DT and others).

As they have said, modern music has gotten away from addressing what's going on in the world. This was a perfect storm opportunity that they could not have passed up. I suspect that the statues line was added this summer
    Another argument for another time but modern music is to worried about sex.....its all propaganda steeling innocence from kids!
  11. Originally posted by u2_michaelc:[..]
    Another argument for another time but modern music is to worried about sex.....its all propaganda steeling innocence from kids!