1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    LOL, you can defo hear some of it made it into The Blackout. The verses' cadence and way of singing remind a lot of The Blackout. Yet another example of reusing ideas and song parts
    Same key also?
  2. I'd say some small things could have loosely "inspired" some bits in Blackout. Like the "verses' cadence", as LikeASong says above.

Other than that the song has completely different chord progressions, apart from the basic key it is in (A). So highly doubt Blackout is some sort of evolution of this.
  3. Agree,

That version was largely done live in an Amsterdam club on an afternoon where fans were drafted for via U2.com. So probably explains the difference.

I wasn't drafted but hopped on my bike (live in Amsterdam) to have a look. I was in a small group outside to that club. Outside was a regular terrace where people were having drinks. All of a sudden the bandmembers walked by (1 by 1), Bono sort of handshaked the lil group I was in. First time I saw him up close and funnily the people on the terrace didn't seem to notice that these megastars just walked by, into the club
  4. They've got about a dozen songs in the key of D, another dozen in the key of Am, another dozen in Em, at least 15 in E major... A key doesn't mean much. It's the melody and the cadence that matters, and in this case there's a similarty for sure!
  5. And I guess the love for certain chords inherits from Father to Son... By accident listened to these 2 songs back to back:

I mean they're not the same progressions but they're both in E and the other chords are there, albeit in a different order
  6. Just was listening to some recordings of this song again from 2018...

I feel like this song needs to be in contention for one of the best tour openers. Say what you want about the album version being overly polished or not, but live this song blew the roof off.
  7. It borrows plenty from The Fly.
  8. I saw two shows in 2018 and it was a fantastic opening song, especially on the second night when I was close to the screen in GA and saw the band emerge.
  9. I was suprised by how many people were singing along live
  10. Me too. For a new song and the opener it was shocking.
    And I agree, it was a monster of an opener
  11. Song is fucking awesome.