1. Originally posted by raynman009:[...]
    I guess my only point is that we are all crazy die-hard U2 fans. We all have different political viewpoints. I totally understand why people are anti-trump. Yet I support him for various reasons. Don't put me down because you don't like him. I don't post much but I love César. We listened to SOE with Rob before the album was released. César is such a funny guy. I totally get his sense of humor.

Joyce, it shouldn't be your job to keep score. I get that. U2Start isn't about this. And i like U2Start for this reason. But please don't edit my posts when I'm mostly responding to posts who are left in nature. Especially when these posts go unedited.
    Of course, it's only human to be diverse and have different political opinions. And we should respect that.

The line is just when we go tell each other why the other is/was wrong. Then it becomes personal, provocative, and heading for nasty-ness.

What triggered me to edit your post was this, and I shared it now in this reply as an example of where I draw the line:

But all the left has left is the racism card. They can’t run on anything productive they accomplished over the last 8 years.
    This is just beyond the scope of the GOOYOW video, and clearly provocative as it will yield a discussion about whether or not this is the case. And, again, this has nothing to do with the video.

I won't hesitate to edit such statements again, regardless who is saying it and from what "side" is coming.

And one more time to all of you: I'm not primarily here to edit posts. I'm counting on everyone's own capability to feel when something is unnecessarily provocative.

Hint: it helps a lot to state opinions as opinions. Like: "In my opinion...this or that..."

PS: I will soon post something that may help to guide the discussion about the video. I realize that there are a lot of questions and that not everyone feels comfortable with this video. In fact I have some questions and doubts myself as well (as one also can read in my longer post from a few pages back. The "No More War" post, that is.
  2. I don't think any comment should be edited, just let people talk it out. It's only one topic, if anyone feels offended by a comment just don't continue to read this thread.
  3. Originally posted by gangstawayne69:I don't think any comment should be edited, just let people talk it out. It's only one topic, if anyone feels offended by a comment just don't continue to read this thread.
    Everyone should be allowed to discuss this music video and feel safe to share their opinions.
    It's not helping the discussion when it goes sideways to American politics in general, or when people feel they are attacked for what they believe, or express.
    Edits are indeed a drastic measure and should be kept to a minimum (I did two). Offensive posts will be removed (see house rules).
  4. Anyway...

The Get Out Of Your Own Way video may have left many of you puzzled, offended, or perhaps disappointed.

I will write this post not so much as to express my opinion, but rather to share some observations and questions that may,
    perhaps, help to guide a discussion.

First of all I can imagine that one of the first questions is: “what the heck is U2 trying to saying here???” Well, perhaps U2 is not so much
    “trying to say something,” but rather raising some questions. The video is not in black in white, so perhaps its meaning is also not black and white.

It is also clear that there is some sort of political message with the images of President Trump and figures dressed as belonging to the KKK marching under a rainbow and, for instance, travelling by subway/metro/underground. And when the camera moves to an overview we see President Trump working at his desk while in the background the KKK is marching under a rainbow, isn't it just like there is a LOL revealed?

But there is also the image of a diversity of people holding hands and making a circle around the globe...
    Isn't that hope? Or something to strive for?

And then there is the boy, “washed up on a beach.”
    It is an image from 2015 and back then it shocked the world. But how is the situation now? And what does it have to do with America?
    The boy was supposed to be a European problem, not? Has it been dealt with?

My point: perhaps the video is more about questions, than about answers or statements.

Or how we should deal with fears and disappointments...

5. I would say if anything, that U2's video is about as confusing as the Trump administration... Actually, it makes more sense...
  6. Well it's got people thinking which is the point ?!
    So many of U2's past videos have been instantly forgettable
  7. My main complaint with the video is that it is FALSE. The KKK are NOT are not here in the US. There are no white supremacist groups constantly killing black people. There are white people who stood up to the Black Lives Matter movement. The BLM who called for cops to be killed. And about 100 innocent cops were ambushed and killed the last few years. So somehow Bono feels these white people who stood up to the BLM movement are the KKK is totally incorrect. I love him but I think he's too emotional to see the issue clearly. He's not thinking clearly. He's a typical celebrity who doesn't think rationally.
  8. I don't think the video is in anyway suggesting that Afro-Americans are being killed by the KKK. What the video shows are KKK figures marching under a rainbow in front of the white house, taking the train/subway (with a sign in the back that reads "Could Be Too Late"), and KKK people coming home from work to their KKK family (see stills above).

I think, however, that a lot of people fear that the KKK is coming back. But "being afraid of" and things "actually happening" are two different ways. In this respect I think the video is about that fear. There seems to be a lot of fear and distrust in America these days. I think it is only fair that that fear is being addressed.

And again: no-one is being killed in the video.
  9. The group that made this is an "Israeli graffiti collective" to quote U2.com ... as an American I'm a bit confused at their surreal take on the KKK. I can handle ambiguity, but not really sure what to make of this video. Most disturbing to me is the dead refugee postcard with U2 lyrics pasted around it...seems just tasteless no matter how you package it.

My wish is that this Israeli collective tackled what is truly in their backyard - the treatment of Palestinian people as second-class citizens. Calling out the idiocy of the Trump administration is easy...calling out Israel as an apartheid state would have been much more brave.
  10. Originally posted by raynman009:My main complaint with the video is that it is FALSE. The KKK are NOT are not here in the US. There are no white supremacist groups constantly killing black people. There are white people who stood up to the Black Lives Matter movement. The BLM who called for cops to be killed. And about 100 innocent cops were ambushed and killed the last few years. So somehow Bono feels these white people who stood up to the BLM movement are the KKK is totally incorrect. I love him but I think he's too emotional to see the issue clearly. He's not thinking clearly. He's a typical celebrity who doesn't think rationally.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/us/charlottesville-james-alex-fields-court-appearance/index.html

I'll just leave this here....
  11. Originally posted by raynman009:My main complaint with the video is that it is FALSE. The KKK are NOT are not here in the US. There are no white supremacist groups constantly killing black people. There are white people who stood up to the Black Lives Matter movement. The BLM who called for cops to be killed. And about 100 innocent cops were ambushed and killed the last few years. So somehow Bono feels these white people who stood up to the BLM movement are the KKK is totally incorrect. I love him but I think he's too emotional to see the issue clearly. He's not thinking clearly. He's a typical celebrity who doesn't think rationally.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/white-supremacist-murders-us-figures-double-2017-racist-hate-crime-las-vegas-shooting-extremist-a8165416.html

Will also leave this....
  12. Originally posted by raynman009:My main complaint with the video is that it is FALSE. The KKK are NOT are not here in the US. There are no white supremacist groups constantly killing black people. There are white people who stood up to the Black Lives Matter movement. The BLM who called for cops to be killed. And about 100 innocent cops were ambushed and killed the last few years. So somehow Bono feels these white people who stood up to the BLM movement are the KKK is totally incorrect. I love him but I think he's too emotional to see the issue clearly. He's not thinking clearly. He's a typical celebrity who doesn't think rationally.